: Crazy? I'm shipping my car to Washington so I can drive it on my vacation.

Andy@A&ACorvette
07-16-11, 09:00 PM
Melissa and I are going to Canada this coming week for a much needed vacation. We wanted to make it a sort of crazy vacation so this is what we came up with.
We're flying to Vancouver BC from California. Then we're taking the Rocky Mountaineer domed train up to Whistler for a couple of days. We're taking a helicopter ride and landing on a glacier. Then we're taking a sea plane back to Vancouver.
We're taking a train to Seattle where we had planned to rent a car and cruise back to So Cal.
Then last night I got this CRAZY idea. What if I shipped my V up to Washington so I could drive it back instead of a crappy rental car?
A decent rental car, one way, is about $1200. And that was for a Rav 4!! Not even anything special. Shipping the car to one of my dealers' shops in Washington was $800.
No brainer! I'll be driving my V down the Oregon, California coast next week instead of some overpriced rental car.
Evidently the So Cal to Washington route is run 2 or 3 times a week so it was no problem scheduling a transporter. The car will actually get to Washington before I do.

crabapple
07-16-11, 09:04 PM
Sounds amazing!!!! Take care, have fun and remember "Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly".

newcadman
07-17-11, 08:52 AM
Sounds like a great trip with fantastic scenery. Enjoy.

With respect to having your V transported I would make sure it was in an enclosed transport. IMO & FWIW, too many chances for mishaps to occur with an open transport.

MotownPimp
07-17-11, 01:57 PM
I've thought shipping my Coupe back east (from Sacramento, Ca.) for a vacation later this year.

Andy, could you PM me the name of your carrier?

Will yours be in a closed container.

jb_bgg
07-17-11, 02:34 PM
FWIW - I used Thomas Sunday to bring an 04 vette I bought from VA to CA several years ago; fully enclosed, arrived without a scratch and on schedule. I'd use them again if necessary.

killer67
07-17-11, 02:59 PM
Not crazy at all. I love the idea!