: The FNG

dr.duct_mossburg
07-16-11, 09:19 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to real quick; say hello. I've been ease dropping on here for a few months and never made a log in. Using the stickies and threads with information on what to look for in a purchase and common issues to which I may experience. In a quest for a decent but clean car, I feel as if I've found my match. A 05', Silver on Black in an almost flawless condition (at least so it seems). So I placed a deposit on it today over the phone until I can go visually see it Monday morning. Hopefully Monday evening I may have some eye-candy to post (though I'm sure one or two of you have seen a stock V before). :-)

Houdini
07-17-11, 12:37 AM
good luck and welcome!

rand49er
07-17-11, 01:31 PM
... So I placed a deposit on it today over the phone ...Is that with phony money?

J/k Good luck!

dr.duct_mossburg
07-17-11, 10:57 PM
Who said money? I used scratch off's.

Real nice guy though, had an African accent. I think maybe Nigerian? He said something about giving a $500 deposit now to secure the vehicle in my name and he would give me $1000 back in 1 week?

rand49er
07-17-11, 11:16 PM
Fax him the $500.

dr.duct_mossburg
07-19-11, 11:37 AM
Fax him the $500.

To late, emailed it on saturday. Get with the times.

dr.duct_mossburg
07-19-11, 11:46 AM
Anywho, Picked the car up yesterday. Lot's of history on the car which is always good to know that someone appreciated it before you had it. The car is literally almost spotless. I have had it pop out of 2nd on a few occasions. I'm waiting for the stealership to call me back now... tick... tick... tick.... I would expect them to replace this 100% free of charge. It's not an issue that would have been easy to identify on a test drive (I have a hard enough time trying to do it even now when I know what seem's to cause the issue). Here's the thing, if they try to start pulling all kinds of games and do the smoke and mirror's trick, I may just say to hell with it and grab a UUC and bushing kit from Lindsay in Arlington. Some folks seem to have had success with virtually eliminating the problem when going with it. If it doesn't fix it then I will most likely just go with a StgII trans rebuild kit with the Viper shift fork as im sure this car will respectfully be put through it's paces. Even with this issue I'm still really enjoying the car. It is a bit crack and creeky, but it is american, :sneaky: The driveline seem to have a lot of slack in it. When shifting slow their is a lot of noise in the drive line slacking, and then tightening.

MotorMounts
07-20-11, 08:42 PM
The driveline seem to have a lot of slack in it. When shifting slow their is a lot of noise in the drive line slacking, and then tightening

Rear Diff Bushing????????????

UU who??? Just playin'

Welcome aboard...Enjoy the new ride

wcryan
07-20-11, 08:49 PM
The driveline seem to have a lot of slack in it. When shifting slow their is a lot of noise in the drive line slacking, and then tightening

Rear Diff Bushing????????????

UU who??? Just playin'

Welcome aboard...Enjoy the new ride

Yeah UU who?......... Yup, never heard of em

JimmyH
07-20-11, 09:52 PM
took me half a second to decipher the thread title.

welcome to the forum

darkman
07-20-11, 11:17 PM
I have had it pop out of 2nd on a few occasions.

Well you could be having trouble with 2nd because of the "CAGS" which forces a 1st to 4th shift under certain, slow-speed conditions.

If not, and you literally mean it goes into 2nd gear then pops out, the odds are relatively high that the transmission requires internal work.

JimmyH
07-20-11, 11:28 PM
That happened to me a couple times also. I think it's just a quirk of the tremec transmission. Depending on how the shift dog is oriented with respect to its gear, on a rare occasion, it may feel like it's engaged, but it isn't fully. I have experienced it on my Camaro SS also. Never had it pop out, but frequently, it won't engage all the way at a standstill.

dr.duct_mossburg
07-21-11, 09:59 PM
The Cags has already been addressed on this car. I understand the trans can be at time notchy, but this is different. I have experienced not being able to engage 1st; to which I just put it in second and move the trans slightly then put it in first, but this is popping out.

Example: I was doing about 55mph when an emergency vehicle came up on me and I went to the shoulder, at about 20 mph I put it in second, let the clutch out and it popped out of gear. It is doing this 2, to 3 times a day. This to me is not normal, especially on a car I just bought.

I have an appointment with Lindsay on Wednesday. I will be seeking that the dealer pay 100% of what may be wrong with this car as their contract states that they have inspected and road tested the vehicle and deem it to be in serviceable condition. I don't believe a damaged/faulty transmission to be serviceable condition.

wcryan
07-21-11, 10:01 PM
if I am correct cag's kicks in from 2000RPM to 2600RPM in first

rand49er
07-21-11, 10:48 PM
... this is popping out.

Example: I was doing about 55mph when an emergency vehicle came up on me and I went to the shoulder, at about 20 mph I put it in second, let the clutch out and it popped out of gear. It is doing this 2, to 3 times a day. This to me is not normal, especially on a car I just bought. ...That ain't right. I could see that happening once a year at most maybe due to not fully engaging the gear, but not a few times a day. Something just ain't right.

Lindsay will figure it out.

cvettr/cts-v
07-22-11, 03:04 PM
if I am correct cag's kicks in from 2000RPM to 2600RPM in first

CAGS is not dependent on RPM. Manual states the following: the 1-4 skip shift will activate when: Engine temperature is 169 degrees f or above, speed is 15 to 19 mph, AND throttle is at 21% or less.

JimmyH
07-22-11, 03:57 PM
That ain't right. I could see that happening once a year at most maybe due to not fully engaging the gear, but not a few times a day. Something just ain't right.

Lindsay will figure it out.

+1. It only happened on my V a few times in 3 years.