Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Need help!--'78 Deville ignition lock cylinder.

947 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  pompste 
#1 ·
I`ve got a previous thread indirectly related to this---but this problem takes priority.
I`m trying to replace my igniton lock cylinder.I`ve got the wheel off and was going to remove the lock plate to access the cylinder---put the lock plate remover on and the shaft it screws onto moves up and down 2-3 inches or so because of the "telescoping" feature and i don`t see any retainer clip.I don`t have a clue on how to remedy this.Every video i watched online on how to replace the lock cylinder apparently never had a telescopic feature.
I don`t know how to get past the telescopic hardware in there and i don`t want to mess anything up so i`ll wait until some hopefully helpful suggestions are offered here.
Is there any way to remove the telescopic hardware so i can remove the lock plate?
Thanks

#2 ·
Anyone?
Apparently the correct procedure might be in the '77 Cadillac service manual.I`ve got the '78 service manual supplement and it`s "not" in there.If anyone has the right service manual with the correct procedure,i`d really appreciate the info posted here.
There must be a way to fix it, even with the telescopic wheel,but i currently don`t have the knowledge sources to do so.
Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
It`s almost unbelievable the repair info is proving to be so difficult to find.I`ve been looking online and no luck so far either.
Many Caddy`s had the telescopic/tilt feature back in the day and more than likely had to have some igniton lock cylinders replaced at some point in time,so the info has to be out there somewhere.
Thanks for chiming in though.This problem seems to have everyone here stumped so far.

#6 ·
Thanks for looking,Kevin.My '78 Cadillac service manual has a parts diagram of the steering wheel column----but it does`nt show anything for any telescopic parts at all.It also does`nt have the procedure.Why they did`nt include that info is beyond me.

#7 ·
It's in the 77 manual in section 3B Steering. The 78 manual is just a supplement to the 77 manual and details things that changed for 78. I see the steering shaft was changed to metric threads in 78 requiring a different puller. Ponpste, if you can wait another day I will scan it for you tomorrow. It is 7 pages and it is more involved than I imagined.

#9 ·
Man, I'm having a hard time logging in here tonight, I tried to PM you and that wouldn't work. I didn't get a good scan on those pages either. Not worth trying to figure out my photobucket account. I'll try again tomorrow but if you want to look at this first attempt, it may be good enough to get you going once you print them out. If you email me at alanloveshondas at yahoo.com I should be able to email this little 8 page folder to you. (I broke up the email addy in hopes that spammers won't copy and paste it)

#10 ·
I sent you an e-mail to your yahoo address,cadillac_al.You may send what you`ve scanned to my yahoo address.If your scanned info comes up good there,i`ll let you know and perhaps you can also scan the info here at the forum in case someone else ever has the same problem and they can find the correct procedure here.

Thanks much pal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.