: I think my car hates me, lug nut and MM problems

AG'S-V
07-16-11, 08:58 PM
Went to put in my new CS mounts this morning, first thing I went to remove the driver side wheel/tire...put the key in my wheel lock and it shattered when I went to back it off with my impact

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/rynosv/IMAG0858.jpg?t=1310839035

I've hit it with a chisel and the remaining chunks have come off...but the bottom part of the lock remains on the stud. I'm weighing options to get it loose with out damaging the wheel...I've already marred it up a little. Any ideas?

Issue #2, got the passenger side mount in fine...easy install. Went to do the driver side and rounded off this bolt on the block bracket...I can't believe how tight it was, hit it with penetrating oil too. Any ideas best way to get it off? As of right now I'm going to try to hammer a 14mm socket on it...but that seems risky.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/rynosv/IMAG0861.jpg?t=1310839017

Not a fun day

darkman
07-16-11, 10:23 PM
I don't know what to do with problem #1, but I do think I may do away with my wheel locks and get regular lugs instead.

On problem #2 the conditon of the hex doesn't look all that bad. I would be tempted to go get one of those trick sockets. There is more than one kind but they are designed to work on rounded nuts.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200413665_200413665

JFensty
07-16-11, 11:01 PM
Were you using a six point socket?

mstrjon32
07-17-11, 02:56 AM
As for #1...McGard wheel locks (with the pattern on the face) are pretty crummy and I've heard of more than a few breaking in the way you described. Also, I would *never* use an impact gun on a wheel lock, they're just not tough enough for the force of the gun. I have a full set of 24 Gorilla locks which I'm pretty happy with, and I remove/install all of them by hand with a breaker bar and torque wrench.

darkman
07-17-11, 10:19 AM
I did find a possible remedy for problem No.#1 on another unrelated forum. You get a 12pt socket that is slightly larger than the lug nut lock, but tight as it goes on. You then hammer the socket onto the lock and remove with a breaker bar. In this case, you obviously have less than a full circle of metal for the socket to grab, but it might work. I think the trick will be to hammer the socket on as slowly and to keep it more or less "straight."

Additionally, if you have a good relationship with a car dealership, you could check with them - I bet they have to remove locks with some frequency when customers lose the keys.

GDPossehl
07-17-11, 02:21 PM
http://www.epinions.com/review/Craftsman_13_Pc_Bolt_Out_Set/content_120728161924

CTSV_Rob
07-17-11, 07:44 PM
#1 just happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I haven't pulled it yet. With mine the whole top of the lock popped off. I have never used an impact wrench on mine and I always use a torque wrench when installing them. I want to put a set of locks on but I will look into the Gorilla locks.

I did find a possible remedy for problem No.#1 on another unrelated forum. You get a 12pt socket that is slightly larger than the lug nut lock, but tight as it goes on. You then hammer the socket onto the lock and remove with a breaker bar. In this case, you obviously have less than a full circle of metal for the socket to grab, but it might work. I think the trick will be to hammer the socket on as slowly and to keep it more or less "straight."

I have heard this works but I would recommend a hardened Socket, not just a standard socket as it could crack as you try to install it.

darkman
07-17-11, 09:39 PM
I have heard this works but I would recommend a hardened Socket, not just a standard socket as it could crack as you try to install it.

Do you mean an impact grade socket? Standard sockets are hardened(heat treated) unless you are buying tools at the "Dollar Store."

AG'S-V
07-18-11, 12:02 PM
Alright

Had a few beers, spent some time with the GF and attacked it again yesterday.

Ended up drilling out the old stud and it finally popped off...since the wheel was out of the way I was able to get to the MM bracket bolt at a better angle and it popped loose (wahoo!) Took the wheel bearing assembly out and popped in a new stud...good as new!

New MMs are in and I was able to save the wheel with minimal boogeredupness...I think I'm going to make it my spare since one I have now has a new rim.

I saw that tool at Northern too...they don't make it to fit 15MM.

Ordering a new set of lugs and the neato new set of Gorilla locks from Amazon today!

So yeah...lesson learned on impacting off the locks.

mstrjon32
07-18-11, 12:44 PM
The set I have on my V is P/N 71634N. Gorilla will also sell you a key that has the correct size drive for the spare tire wrench...not sure if you're carrying a spare or not. I think the extra key was about $10.

AG'S-V
07-18-11, 01:29 PM
I just ordered a new set of Gorilla lug nuts and locks...got the ones that have the spinning sleeves on them.

These guys http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-61641/ along with a normal set of nuts...M12x1.50 of course, just grabbed that link.

MotorMounts
07-19-11, 01:40 AM
I'm to blame for this misery and suffering. It's all my fault. I feel terrible. Goodbye cruel world...

OK, I feel better now....how ya like the mounts?

AG'S-V
07-19-11, 10:57 AM
I freakin love them! LS7 clutch is going in this weekend...so things will get even better, putting in the tranny mount then as well.

One of my mounts was destroyed...it bled all over me when I pulled it out, I was amazed how much my motor was moving around all this time!

Great product Max!

kevm14
07-19-11, 08:32 PM
I noticed my mounts (in a box still) aren't perfectly cylindrical. As such, as there a preferred orientation for installation?

AG'S-V
07-20-11, 12:54 PM
Seems mine tapered slightly...if yours are perfectly cylindrical I would orientate the CS labels facing up.

MotorMounts
07-20-11, 08:33 PM
I noticed my mounts (in a box still) aren't perfectly cylindrical. As such, as there a preferred orientation for installation?

They will only install one way. The alignment pin on the top of the mount is in a different location than the pin on the bottom of the mount (just like the factory mounts), if the mount doesn't seem to fit......turn it over. The heat shield will only go on one end too..THE TOP.
Just grabbed a set of mounts off the shelf....the fat end is the top of the mount.

PEACE

kevm14
07-20-11, 09:54 PM
Yeah I was wondering if the pin orientation would make it obvious. Thanks for the clarification.