: 2005 STS *tinting windows*

Ronen911
07-16-11, 07:18 PM
So I was wondering if anyone has any tips for tinting the car. I currently live in chicago and I'm looking for a shop as well. Also considerdering getting a new grille for the car.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The color of the car is sand storm btw. And it does not contain a nav system

ancuster
07-17-11, 06:41 PM
I live in fort Wayne, Indiana which is about 2 and a half-hours away from Chicago so it's the same climate. On my last caddy, which was a deville, I had 5% done on the windows and it was a little too dark. It was hard to see at night and sometimes I had to roll down my window to make turns. On my sts I got 15% and I am really happy with that. It keeps the car cool in the summer and it's dark enough to make headlights behind you seem dull but you came still see a night. Do not go to zeibarts to get your windows tinted. They are a shady company and cut as many corners a possible to save a buck. They put two different kinds of tint on my windows because it was the end of the roll and didn't want to wast the last of it. Needless to say my windows were two different colors. Zeibart was then were going to charge me full price to fix it and retint my car. If I were you I would call around and ask installers how much experience they have and go from there. Also if you need to take stock tint off do it yourself, it is very simple and you will save yourself a hundred dollars or so. YouTube removing window tint with a steamer. If you have any other questions let me know and good luck.

Subsailor613
07-17-11, 09:20 PM
Had mine done, SO GOOD, the state inspectors couldn't tell it from factory tint !:cool2::cool2::cool2:
Did NOT get my rear window done, as to NOT interfere with
the auto dim mirror !

erichthecatt
07-18-11, 05:02 PM
Tinted the rear windows on my 2010 sts, I believe the "05" limo tint. The rearview mirror still dims great when needed. Was told by the local tint shop not to use the tint with "metal" in the film, as it will cause problems with the radio/nav/onstar.

CTBB
07-19-11, 10:32 AM
Can't help you on the tinting, but I also have a Sandstorm STS, and had the grill painted body color to match. Discrete change, but I like it!

Glenn

Midnight
07-19-11, 10:43 AM
I have an 05 (red). I got 35% 3M tint and couldn't be happier. Just the right balance of darkening and while technically darker than legal, light enough where I won't get harassed (the shop I went to mostly does 35% so it's not like I stand out).

I did get the rear glass tinted, and actually I've had less problems with bright lights than I did before. It's as if the auto dimming works the same, plus there's tint.

The only nitpick I have is that because the rear glass has those "dots" around the tint looks a little bit rough at the edge - like it doesn't stick very well to those dots. Probably a common thing though (other cars have the same thing), and not really noticeable unless you're looking for it.

One other thing that kinda surprised me is that it blends really well with the stock black "b" pillars, and makes the car look more seamless and simplified, because the whole side window area looks like one thing instead of 3 things.

Ronen911
07-21-11, 03:27 AM
Okay. So I got the job done. I was fortunate enough to have my tints put on a day before one of the hottest weeks in Chicago in a long time hahaha.

Tell me what you think. 35% all around.

She's a work in progress. =]

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7316/2011072002092448.jpg

caddyfat2
07-21-11, 11:28 AM
Love that body side moulding (and your car looks great.)

ancuster
07-21-11, 05:51 PM
That looks real clean. Window tint is so nice on hot days. I don't think I will every have a car without it.

GREGB1954
07-22-11, 08:08 AM
Looks great! So you had this put on over the factory tint (which is not too dark)? It was stated above that there is a way to take off the factory tint but I thought the factory tint was actually inside the glass laminate layers. 35% looks just right. Can you see fine at night?