: GMPP warranty poll

JDB
07-16-11, 12:52 PM
CPO is about to expire next month. Purchased in 3/2010 at 24k and now at 35,215. I have been given quotes between $2200-$2350 range from various dealers for 3/36 and $50 deductible. +/- months /miles, this is the best bang for the buck. Beyond the car turning 36k miles, the price jumps a lot...around $500-600 more...so, if I'm doing this, need to do it in the next few weeks.

I'm a wrench turner, so this is a flip of a coin if I'd spend more than $2300 in parts over the next 3 years. Truly a gamble.

This is my daily driver year round ...separate set of wheels with Blizzaks.

I have the upgraded diff that was done under CPO soon after buying it. Off the top of my head, some other things done under warranty since I've owned it:

Radiator
NAV (twice)
Trunk shocks (upgraded)
Front sway bushings
Motor mounts
Rear cradle bushings
Injectors (chasing motor mount issue...they thought it was fueling....they were wrong)
Brake master cyl
Clutch slave/cyl
power steering hose by the oil pan
Dash pad (bubbled)

I'm leaning towards not getting the warranty since a lot has been replaced and I can turn a wrench. Best 2 out of 3 coin flip????

What would you do?

This could add / keep value, sell quicker... should I add it and want to move on in the next 3 years.

jnrandall
07-17-11, 03:52 AM
I vote yes. I got a brand new LS6 and all it cost me was the $50 deductible.

JDB
07-17-11, 08:44 AM
I vote yes. I got a brand new LS6 and all it cost me was the $50 deductible.

and that's what leans me back to getting the warranty, especially after seeing Pat's blown motor at VIR.

Why did you need a new motor?

CadzillaTN
07-17-11, 12:31 PM
I say do it. You're still at a pretty low mileage and that price isnt bad. I decided yes in your shoes last time I had the chance at those figures, and it paid off ten fold. The main advantage, other than nickel and dime things that can easily add up, is coverage of big ticket items like engine, trans,diff, etc..and random gremlins like electrics, or a sunroof exploding, etc.

You can always cancel and get a prorated refund too, but it would definitely help you sell quicker and at a higher price. You'll easily get your investment back in the sale..

I just decided no on extending mine- but I'm at 66k now and the price was just too high to justify.. I'm also tired of the dealership game... I'd rather research and repair the small stuff myself.

I did just find out about another warranty GM is coming out with that may be good for you guys not currently ' under warranty'. The car has to be less than 10 yrs old and have less than 80k miles- they do a thorough inspection and make sure everything is in working order, but otherwise you can get a full coverage warranty, say 3yr 36k with a 100 ded for about 3 grand....not bad in some cases esp for the guys with 04-05s. If the inspection dealer thinks your howling diff and crappy trans are 'ok', you buy. Then if dealer X thinks those items are now failing, you win.

jnrandall
07-17-11, 05:04 PM
I had a cam installed and apparently the springs used were not up to the task and failed. This sent metal pieces circulating throughout the motor. Scored cylinder heads and walls, score camshaft, busted valves--it was ugly. Cadillac sent the adjuster and a week later, a new crate motor was delivered. I've had other things done while under GMPP too. A new drive shaft, radiator, alternator, starter, motor mounts, trans mounts and diff to name a few. I am all for it. I also liked that GMPP allowed me to use my own mechanic. I didn't have to go to cadillac for repairs.

JDB
07-17-11, 07:30 PM
They gave you a new motor even with an aftermarket cam?? Which cam? Tuning? Which valve springs?

Couple other things replaced: steering wheel position sensor, pass seat cushion + air bag sensor, all 4 tire pressure monitors

jnrandall
07-17-11, 09:11 PM
These were the general components for the cam job:
TTP XFI Cam 228/230-115 LSA
TFS 7.400 Hardened C/M Pushrods
GM Cam Installation Gasket kit
Patriot Gold Dual Spring kit
ASP Underdrive Pulley with Belts
Installed and Tuned by TTP Performance
412rwhp/377rwtq

cvettr/cts-v
07-18-11, 01:59 PM
I bought an extended gmpp major guard policy while my original factory warranty was in effect. it was for an additional 36 months or till I hit 43,500 miles i believe. Parameters of the policy is additional 36 months or 32,500 miles from warranty puchase miles and date. I googled gmpp major guard and got several quotes. I paid around $1400.00 it is a $50.00 deductible i believe but know it is not over $100.00 deductible card is at home sorry. I know mine started before factory warranty expired and I only had 11,500 miles on it at the time but if you have not tried google gmpp major guard and several places will come up to quote. I had no issues and it is in GM system which I verified when I recently got the seat recall done. It would seem you may find a better price possibly.

JDB
07-18-11, 04:21 PM
Yep...I called around today and was quoted $1550. At that price, I'm probably going to do it...except I thin that was their price and Finance guy didn't know what he was talking about.

Called a bunch of places... one told me that my V isn't eligible since there is only a 1 year grace period after the 4/50 warranty that you can get GMPP. oh well...

cvettr/cts-v
07-18-11, 06:28 PM
That may be, I was still under the 4/50 but if you google it and fill it out they quote by e-mail in a day or less good luck on your search I went to a local dealer with the out of town dealers quote in hand along with a checkbook said beat this by $50.00 and I'll write you a check right now ( I was alittle leary of doing a warranty purchase over the net). They said they could not do it so I did it over the net and it all worked out great. Point is to save the most you may have to deal over the net also.

Chubbilicious420
07-24-11, 06:00 PM
go with the warranty

Slithering_Joe
07-25-11, 09:36 AM
I got mine here right before the new car warranty expired:
Black Cadillac - http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm
It's has almost paid for itself already.

Slithering_Joe
07-25-11, 09:38 AM
Jesse, I'm still blown away that GM replaced that engine. You got lucky!

jnrandall
07-25-11, 10:17 AM
:bouncy: Perhaps. I know the adjuster wanted to just swap out parts. My mechanic convinced him otherwise. I had 91k miles on the odometer at the time of the swap. I was going to put another cam and perhaps heads in this motor but changed my mind. So now it's just the headers, cold air, underdrive pulley, exhaust and tune. Basically back to pre-cam specs. I'm ok with that! :)

slothV
08-02-11, 09:32 PM
I say go for it. I've had the rear diff and slave done with GMPP.