: Horn pad removal---'78 Deville

pompste
07-15-11, 07:08 PM
After watching some online videos on to remove/replace the "ignition lock cylinder", on my '78 Deville,i`ve decided to try to do the job myself.My trusted mechanic has allowed me to use his tools to do the job.
Only thing i have`nt been able to find online is how to remove the horn pad.There are 2 screws on the back of the steering wheel---do those screws hold the horn pad on?

Thanks

sven914
07-15-11, 09:16 PM
Yes, those bolts are fro the horn pad. When you take it off, you need to be careful because there is a little piece that connects the contact pad to the horn; everyone I've taken off, that that piece has gotten lost.

jayoldschool
07-15-11, 09:31 PM
To remove the pad horn contact, push down, and rotate counterclockwise a little bit. It will pop right out. On some, there will be a spade connection on the pad itself where you can disconnect the wire first.

pompste
07-16-11, 12:47 AM
I started getting into it last nite--i`ve gotten as far as the part where i need the wheel puller--ran out of daylight so i`ll be back at it again tomorrow.Only piece that looked different to me was the retainer piece that keeps the little telescopic wheel arm from falling off if the 3 screws holding it in fall off.I hope i feel as brave today as i felt yesterday.This is the first time attempting a job this delicate.
I did ok with the horn contact,thanks to your info.
I bought the new ignition lock cylinder, just $13 at autozone.Brand:LOCKSMART

Just wondering,does the turn signal arm screw off or is it attached internally by a screw?
Also,is the igniton lock cylinder "retainer screw" a torx head or phillips?