: Quick test drive review: 06 BMW 325Ci

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-11, 08:04 PM
The dealer I work at has an '06 325Ci on their used car lot. I took it out for a 5-6 mile spin last night down the perfect "BMW Road" last night. It's a sparsely trafficked, 50 mph county road filled with lots of twists, turns and roundabouts.

The car was absolutely magnificent. Now I'm seeing what everyone is talking about with the 3-Series.

Much like all good German cars, it feels very very solid, like it's built of one piece of high grade aluminum. This makes it very smooth riding, but never isolated or floaty, but oh my god does it handle!

For example, I was following a FWD Chevy Impala down this road, and through some of the tighter left hand turns, I could steer so tightly into the curve I was in the opposing lane, so if I had the space and the power, I could pass the Impala INSIDE of the tight turn. The car hugs the road so well you'd think it was performing the heimlech. But, unlike most other cars I've driven that handled like this, the car rode smoothly and never felt over stressed. I never heard any tire squeal or felt the suspension stress out. It just kept asking for more and more! I could pull all the way through the roundabout without applying the brakes and carrying through doing 45-55mph!

What everyone keeps saying about the E46 and E90/92 3 Series is that they're incredibly well rounded and do everything well. I can totally agree with that. They handle amazingly, ride very well for their size, feel very competent and have very comfortable, high quality interiors. I thought the 2.5L I-6 was very smooth and made great sounds, but I'd prefer more power (184hp and 175 lb/ft is just adequate for a 3200lb 3 Series), but that's what the 330Ci is for!

I think that the E46 is a very good looking car, one of their best designs after the E38 7 Series and E39 5 Series. I'd prefer to own a coupe, but I understand that they're the same car underneath and the sedan would be cheaper to get into, cheaper to insure, more comfortable for my passengers and available with all wheel drive!

Provided they aren't as expensive to maintain & repair as that S320 I had, I could totally see replacing the GS with one of these sometime down the road!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default 2/2011-07-14_18-58-16_249.jpg

The 335i is great too, but not realistic for me now. I prefer the simpler interior design of the E46, but I like the E92's more fluid exterior more.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default 2/2011-07-14_19-08-47_412.jpg

Two timeless '90s era cars.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default 2/2011-07-14_18-29-43_74.jpg

orconn
07-15-11, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the club, Chad!

Stingroo
07-15-11, 09:00 PM
I think the E92's tail lights look silly. The E46 style look much better. Overall, not really a fan of the E92 design.

ben.gators
07-15-11, 09:03 PM
May I ask what is the approximate price tag on that BMW?

gary88
07-15-11, 09:34 PM
I remember my first time driving a 3 series :cloud9: You really do have to get behind the wheel of one to understand what they're all about.

Although in general I'm not a fan of AWD on the 3 since it makes the car heavier and kills a lot of that great steering/road feel, a good set of winter tires will get you through just about anything provided you have enough ground clearance.

Jesda
07-15-11, 09:35 PM
Would drive/own everything pictured, except maybe that G6.

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 11:10 PM
Those BMW 2.5 straight sixes are great engines. 184 horsepower is plenty to move a car that size, (G6 has twenty horses more) but I would like to see it go against an STS or a DeVille Northstar... In a straight line, at least :histeric: It would be interesting. I know this kid who has a 3 series and always brags about the 'special' engine. He must be taught the Northstar lesson. :stirpot:

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 11:13 PM
I would MUCH rather have the STS pictured than the 325Ci... Just saying.

Jesda
07-15-11, 11:21 PM
The 2.5 is overwhelmed by the E46 convertible though. 200hp + 3800lbs = Slug

Nothing is quite like being in the cockpit of a 3-series. The position of the pedals, steering wheel, and seat bottom are perfect.

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 11:45 PM
The 2.5 is overwhelmed by the E46 convertible though. 200hp + 3800lbs = SlugThe 2012 Civic Si is advertised to have 201 horsepower. In a package as tiny as the Civic coupe, 201 horsepower would be pretty impressive. 201 hp, 2800 lbs. The thought of premium fuel being required in a Civic makes me want to barf, though. I have driven a newer Civic sedan, and even with the seat all of the way back, I was fighting my knees in the dash and my head poking out of the sunroof...

Jesda
07-16-11, 12:05 AM
Premium fuel only adds a dollar or two to each tank.

hueterm
07-16-11, 12:07 AM

Oh...yeah...even if I had to fix the HGs...

orconn
07-16-11, 12:21 AM
May I ask what is the approximate price tag on that BMW?

My son has this BMW but in sedan form, I think he told me recently that "private party" price at present was around $10,000. His has around 65,000. miles on it and is in very good condition.

His 325i had a sticker of $37,500. and was a pretty fully loaded car. He got it brand new as a close out 2006 for $32.700. plus tax and licence. It has leather and all the goodies, but to be honest I am not all that impressed with the interior of the car; it is nice but definitely entry level "executive." Great young guys car, but personally I prefer our Sevilles ass an all rounder. Of BMW models of late, the 3 series is the only one I would really have any interest in.

Playdrv4me
07-16-11, 01:56 AM

Not really an "either/or" type of deal for me. Different cars aimed at different segments of the market. I like them almost exactly equally and could easily see having one of each ideally.

Playdrv4me
07-16-11, 01:58 AM
My son has this BMW but in sedan form, I think he told me recently that "private party" price at present was around $10,000. His has around 65,000. miles on it and is in very good condition.

His 325i had a sticker of $37,500. and was a pretty fully loaded car. He got it brand new as a close out '96 for $32.700. plus tax and licence. It has leather and all the goodies, but to be honest I am not all that impressed with the interior of the car; it is nice but definitely entry level "executive." Great young guys car, but personally I prefer our Sevilles ass an all rounder. Of BMW models of late, the 3 series is the only one I would really have any interest in.

The interior of the E46 is light years ahead of the E36 (the '96 your son has). It was one of the things they REALLY addressed in the model change in 1999. Much higher quality materials all around. Ironically, the quality decreased slightly again in a few places from the E46 to the E92.

orconn
07-16-11, 02:45 AM
The interior of the E46 is light years ahead of the E36 (the '96 your son has). It was one of the things they REALLY addressed in the model change in 1999. Much higher quality materials all around. Ironically, the quality decreased slightly again in a few places from the E46 to the E92.

I'm sorry I mispoke he has a 2006 bought in 2007 not a 1996.

Playdrv4me
07-16-11, 02:58 AM
I'm sorry I mispoke he has a 2006 bought in 2007 not a 1996.

It's pretty austere in there compared to the Seville, at least if you don't have the nice wood strip across the dashboard. Still, I stand by my previous comment... I like them both equally in different ways, even their interiors.

orconn
07-16-11, 03:13 AM
It's pretty austere in there compared to the Seville, at least if you don't have the nice wood strip across the dashboard. Still, I stand by my previous comment... I like them both equally in different ways, even their interiors.

His BMW 3 series has the wood inserts, I think the interior on his 3 series is about on a par with the 2000 Catera we had. Not bad, but not what I keep hearing about as the quality of BMWs. The reason I say this is that I really gave his car's a good looking at a couple of weeks ago, just to see what it was really like. As you know I am a fan of the way BMW 3 series drive so I am not being overly critical of the car's interior, just saying that it really isn't anything special in its' class.

Playdrv4me
07-16-11, 03:25 AM
His BMW 3 series has the wood inserts, I think the interior on his 3 series is about on a par with the 2000 Catera we had. Not bad, but not what I keep hearing about as the quality of BMWs. The reason I say this is that I really gave his car's a good looking at a couple of weeks ago, just to see what it was really like. As you know I am a fan of the way BMW 3 series drive so I am not being overly critical of the car's interior, just saying that it really isn't anything special in its' class.

What's interesting is I agree with you, but in respect to the E39 5 and the E38 7 Series rather than the e46 3 Series. As much as I love the 5 and 7, the interior quality leaves some to be desired. The LCD displays for the radio, climate and gauge cluster ALWAYS pixelate, the plastic cover for the seat controls on the side of the seats is almost ALWAYS cracked from fat guys like me sitting in it (or maybe even skinny people), and the flat "pushbutton" window switches are absolutely ancient. By contrast, the E46 (which was developed on a newer production cycle than the other two), forgoes a lot of the frills that break on the 5 and 7 and has always had a very "down to business" feel to me. I don't think it's supposed to have executive sedan levels of luxury, but I certainly feel the interior is bolted together solidly and nothing makes me think "wow that's a hideously cheap part".

The car that *DOES* make me feel that way is the MB C Class... Those things are really utterly boring inside and in the later models even suffer from that clock radio silver crap around the radio.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-16-11, 09:21 AM
I actually drove an '07 C280 on our used car lot shortly after I drove this E46. The E46 was better in basically every way.

brandondeleo
07-16-11, 09:44 AM
I usually prefer MB to BMW, simply in personal taste, but Benz really has put NO effort into the C class...