: Is it worth the extra money for AWD

hugabone
10-19-04, 09:35 AM
I have a 4 X 4 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought new. Im in the market for a Lade but not sure if I want to dish out the extra money for more ponies and the AWD. Sure a AWD would be great but I might keep my old truck for work and the snow we get around here. I see good deals left and right for 02's 2wd with extremely low miles but I might look to get an 03 because of the 4 captain chairs and HID, by the way how much is the HID kit going for.

kook
10-19-04, 09:39 AM
I think that the 2wd Escalades come with the smaller engine. Regardless, AWD is very nice and helps in more situations then just snow.

hugabone
10-19-04, 09:47 AM
2wd does come with the smaller engine, Im just comparing it with my current 4x4. I hardly ever use it. Since my Jeep isnt a full time 4 wheel drive I do lose traction right after it rains from the slick road but other than that Im still trying to justify if I need an AWD for a second vehicle. Im just seeing hect of deals out there on both. To be truthful Im not trying to spend more than 30k and trying to get the best for that. Iv seen many of AWD for that but they have well over 50K+ miles.

Sandy
10-19-04, 11:40 AM
I work out of my house. I have NO comute, I have no "rush hour". We have a 2nd 'Fridge & a freeze, that we pack with food in early November. If we run out of things that cannot be frozen, there's a 7-11 on the next corner, about 450 steps away. Therefore, I have a 2003 Town Car, RWD. There are times that I don't even plow the driveway ! Unless you have a similiar sutuation, OR live in Florida, Texas or southern California, or Nevada or Arizona, I strongly suggest that you opt for 4-wheel drive. When I was in a different business, and HAD to be at work at 9AM, I only drove the original, and it never once let me down, a Jeep Cherokee 4X4. Bullit Proof. 4X4 is not just about getting to work or to the grocery store, it's about getting there SAFELY. Go for it, if it snows by you.

MEJIA
10-19-04, 12:44 PM
Down here we have southern Texas wheather. Hot most of the year, but with 2 or 3 months of rainfall during the year. When there is no rain I appreciate having the AWD model because of the bigger and stronger engine, and with rain I feel safer having AWD and Stabilitrack. However I dont know if the 2wd and 5.3 engine Escalade has Stabilitrack.

Mejia

hcvone
10-19-04, 01:00 PM
I have a 4 X 4 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought new. Im in the market for a Lade but not sure if I want to dish out the extra money for more ponies and the AWD. Sure a AWD would be great but I might keep my old truck for work and the snow we get around here. I see good deals left and right for 02's 2wd with extremely low miles but I might look to get an 03 because of the 4 captain chairs and HID, by the way how much is the HID kit going for.

I have had belive it or not 26 Jeep Grand Cherokee's before I switched to Suburban's and now Escalade's, I had a fleet of them at my shops, if you get an AWD Escalade there would be no need to keep your Jeep, with good tires on an Escalade you can go anywhere in the snow, I have a home in upstate NY and have had my Escalade in 3 ft deep snow many times. I need AWD or 4 wheel drive to get to my home in NY and up my driveway in PA. HID kits go from 300 - 700 dollars depending on who you buy them from and what parts are in the kits, I would get Phillips ballasts and bulbs, I have had many HID kits and Phillips have worked the best for me.

OCESCALADE
10-19-04, 04:01 PM
Yes it is worth the extra money. It was a difference of 2k when i bought mine new. The saftey of all wheel drive and the power is worth it.

bbrock81
10-19-04, 05:13 PM
And don't forget that the resale value of 2WD trucks drops faster than AWD's too. You realize this when you see that you can buy a lower mileage 2WD truck for the same price as a higher mileage AWD, but the AWD should depreciate less than the 2WD would. Just something to keep in mind.

T_Dogg8
10-20-04, 07:51 AM
to me it's more than worth it. i was able to get rid of my 4 wheel drive blazer, so that gave me the extra money to make up for the price difference. plus i get the bigger engine and everyone likes bigger engines :lildevil:

MEJIA
10-21-04, 11:54 AM
And don't forget that the resale value of 2WD trucks drops faster than AWD's too. You realize this when you see that you can buy a lower mileage 2WD truck for the same price as a higher mileage AWD, but the AWD should depreciate less than the 2WD would. Just something to keep in mind.

I agree