Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Bumper Blues

795 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  The-Dullahan 
#1 ·
Okay, got the rear quarter painted again. Woohoo!

Alright, but now, my bumper has a gap between it and the car, the lights are somehow hanging a few inches off the car (will get photos) and the people at the place I took it to crosswired all kinds of nonsense under the car, which I already fixed (Need to go tape everything up)

From beneath my car I can see a series of washer-like spacers on the bolts between where the bumper mounts and the cylindrical steel beams which it connects to. I am not sure if these spacers are the reason nothing lines up now or what. Seriously, how did my bumper fit first and not fit now? Not only that, but precisely what were they doing with my car, because not only did they mix up all the wires, they somehow disconnected the lines for my air system, causing the compressor to run nonstop, for some reason the steering wheel cover had to be removed (not sure what they were doing in there by the steering wheel) And to top it all of, for some reason my driver's window does not work anymore. It won't go up anymore (It will a few inches before Whirrrrrhrhrhrhrhrhrhrrrrvvvvvvvb... and stopping) but admittedly, that may have nothing to do with these guys...

#2 ·
Welcome to the after autobody shop blues nightmare. Your lucky your brakelights were working so that the guy in back of you didn't plow into you when he didn't see your brakelights. Autobodymen / autopainters aren't mechanics and I have several persons who will testify to this fact.
It is obvious they lost your aligning plates for your bumper, or they got them mixed up and couldn't figure out how many plates go to the left or right, or the plates got mistakenly tossed out to the trash.
As far as the space goes, are your fillers missing? I don't know why they would remove your fillers. Who knows what things and what reasons autobodymen do these things.

#3 ·
My car does not use rear fillers, being a different chassis from a normal Brougham, but it looks like it needs them now, the lamps are out so far. Also, my brake lamps were NOT working. All the electrical items have been taken care of personally since. Tomorrow, I will look in further detail to what I will do about the bumper, as in it's current state I can't even buy gas.

#4 ·
Either way, I will deal with surveying the disaster in the morning when I have to replace the air lines (Tried tonight, but got caught up on a furniture commission)

It is rather absurd. The air lines are all steel tube and mesh hose, rather than the flexible vinyl lining. The exception to this is a miniscule section equaling less than a foot and somehow, they tore it apart...

#6 ·
I had the same exact problem with my drivers window. It started off by rolling down all the way and when i would roll it back up . I found out that it was a bad window motor.
Yeah, the expression on my face was great when I angrilly stared through the door panel to show the motor my anger. Since then, I have ordered a new set of window motors, as a pair costs only six dollars more than a single one, so I figured it's cheap insurance for the other window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.