: Got a father's Oldsmobile

Bro-Ham
07-15-11, 03:23 PM
Heeeeeeee Haawwwww!!! :) :) :)

It's always an exciting day when you get a new toy!

I have always loved the Olds 98 Regency. Not as formal or upright as a Cadillac, the Regency still looks smart in front of the local fancy supper club or for days when you want to wear jeans or not shave. :) I've always had an attraction to the Regency since my youth - one of my all time favorites is the 75 Olds 98 and I learned how to drive in the family 77 Regency...fun!

My car dealer friend took in a 1991 Regency Elite with 112k miles, in the same family since new, very mature adult driven, clean as a whistle. He always gives me a deal on these special cars because he knows I will give them some loving and he'd wholesale them otherwise. I am having 4 new Bridgestone Insignia SE200 whitewall tires installed at the moment in his shop plus a full mechanical inspection, photos to come in a bit once it's off the rack.

So, the new cocktail runner! My 79 Cad will be spared the daily driving duties, at least a few times a week.

Just wanted to share. Is everyone having fun driving their fun cars this summer? :)

Dave

Powar
07-15-11, 03:33 PM
Sounds nice! Let's see some pictures.

gdwriter
07-15-11, 03:39 PM
Heading out shortly for a 200+ mile (each way) road trip in Betty.

Bro-Ham
07-15-11, 05:56 PM
OK, now that I've been able to check this car out - here are the details:

1991 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency Elite
Light Antelope Glamour Metallic
Medium Antelope leather interior
Options include: Leather, "Computer Command Ride," graphic equalizer stereo, engine block heater, "special paint," 1SC option package (power passenger seat, reminder package, illuminated visor vanity mirrors, steering wheel touch controls, cast aluminum wheels, cornering lamps, power trunk pull down, remote entry, twilight sentinel, cargo net).

And now for the pictures, enjoy! :)

Stingroo
07-15-11, 06:13 PM
I've always really liked those. Bummer about the FWD though.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-11, 06:25 PM
Looks very nice Dave. I always liked the 1991-96 Ninety Eights, and almost bought a few over the years, but never could pull the trigger on one. Most of my friends hated them, but I always saw something in them....can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it's because they look so unlike anything from the '90s, and even more so now. Their rounded front, boxed off greenhouse, thin pillars and long & low rear deck remind me a lot of the 1959-60 Oldsmobile Ninety Eights.

http://www.strutmasters.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/1996 oldsmobile 98.jpg

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/59olds/olds-images/59Olds112-banner.jpg

Enjoy it and welcome to the 3800 club!

Bro-Ham
07-15-11, 06:38 PM
I've always really liked those. Bummer about the FWD though.

Sting, I wish they had rear drive too - and a big ol' 455 V8 or at least a 403. :) This car is like an old school Olds 98 in miniature, drives nicely too.

When I was a senior in college one of my classmates worked at Rick Kline Oldsmobile in St. Paul, MN. It was a super old time dealership located on University Avenue where every big auto dealer was until the 1980's. Anyway, my friend worked as the receptionist at this dealership and it was rumored a redesigned Olds 98 was coming out for 1991 and I must have asked her ten million times if they had the new car, or at least the brochures. When they finally came out I rushed over to drive it, it didn't seem as exciting as when the 1985 Olds 98 came out, but I liked the 1991 cars at the time although they seemed to age so fast in light of other cool cars that came out around the same time like the 91 Acura Legend.

Now that there are fewer and fewer of these cars I'm beginning to appreciate them, even a couple of years ago I would have dismissed them as unexciting, now I've changed my tune, especially with one that is mine to play with. :)

Bro-Ham
07-15-11, 06:41 PM
Chad, the rear of the car reminds me of the 1964 Olds 98. The interior of this 91 sure needs some button tufting to be authentic Regency. :)

Stingroo
07-15-11, 06:55 PM
They look great, just need RWD. :(

Enjoy it, it'll make driving the '79 that much better.

Bro-Ham
07-15-11, 07:03 PM
Sting, here, let me give you a few extra of these: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-11, 07:11 PM
Does that Computer Command Ride still work, or did the previous owner switch it to passive struts?

I swear, I test drove a 91-92 Ninety Eight just like that one at Midway Chevrolet (also on University Avenue) in the summer of '05. It was beige/beige like that one, didn't have the digital dash (I really wanted that) but it had leather and alloy wheels as well. Much like most any other car from Midway in the recent days, it was a TOTAL POS. Didn't have 1st or 3rd gear and ran like complete ghetto shit. Couldn't be happier to get back into my '92 Sedan deVille.

creeker
07-15-11, 07:16 PM
I use to have a 1990- 98 regency, also a 1990 olds. touring sedan, both were great cars.

ga_etc
07-15-11, 07:18 PM
Very good looking car Dave! I've always liked those for some reason.

I used to work with a girl who's mom had one. This one was dark blue with dark blue leather, full digital dash, trip computer, and the biggest sunroof I had seen in a car up to that point. I tried like hell to get that car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-11, 07:18 PM
Oooh, the Touring Sedans! I really like those....buckets, console, floor shift, real burl walnut trim, full analog gauges, alloy wheels, touring suspension and a very few of them were built with the Series I 3800 Supercharged V6 in 1992-93.

jayoldschool
07-15-11, 09:42 PM
Here's your RWD 90s Olds styling... and it gets the same mileage as that FWD!

http://carimages1.everycarlisted.com/images/oldsmobile-custom-cruiser-winchester-va_33458_3228_1.jpg

Stingroo
07-15-11, 09:50 PM
There's a white OCC just like that near my house. The guy who owns it frequently waves at me if we cross paths.

I usually wave back.

hueterm
07-15-11, 11:12 PM
I always liked those too, Dave. At the time, more than the PAs. The Touring Sedan was even > PAU. And I loved my '92 Toro.

Stingroo
07-15-11, 11:41 PM
I've never seen one of those in supercharged form. There IS, however, a REALLY NICE fully loaded (sans sunroof) '98 Olds 88 LSS for sale near me. I would drive that. The 88 we had was really comfortable, and the bucket seats were niiiice.

hueterm
07-15-11, 11:55 PM
I don't think the '98s were ever S/Cs, were they? I thought just the LSS....

Stingroo
07-16-11, 12:04 AM
No no, it's an 88 LSS, but a 1998.

I just realized how ridiculous that sounded. lol

Then again, it sounds even worse if you were referencing Chad's post.

Screw it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-16-11, 12:11 AM
No, they offered the Supercharged 3800 in the 1992-93 Touring Sedans, and it was a standalone engine option in 1994. VERY few were made with them.

Between the 1991-96 Park Avenue and Ninety Eight....that's a tough decision for me. The Park Avenue is the more traditionally good looking car, whereas the Ninety Eight looks more classically styled.. The Park Avenue is probably the more traditional car overall, as they never offered digital gauges or computer command ride in the Park Avenue. Overall though, I'd probably go with a Park Avenue because I think its a better looking car overall (even if it's not as distinctive as the Ninety Eight), it's interior flows better and has full instrumentation (even though it lacks the Ninety Eight's very detailed and informative trip computer) and I'm more of a Buick guy than I am an Oldsmobile guy.

cadillac kevin
07-16-11, 12:19 AM
I really liked olds styling in the early 90's. something about the square grille combined with the swoopy sidemarkers combined the best of old 70's styling and 90's styling. the heavily curved interiors were cool if the panels were properly aligned (or not beat up). the wrap around wood is cool, and I really liked the upright taillamps. I always wanted an achieva SCX. I think that is one of the coolest small 90's cars as far as being different and unique.
of course if I could have any early 90's olds it would be a toss up between the olds custom cruiser and the toro trofeo. both were awesome cars in their own right.

drewsdeville
07-16-11, 12:37 AM

http://carimages1.everycarlisted.com/images/oldsmobile-custom-cruiser-winchester-va_33458_3228_1.jpg

http://ridingabuttertub.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/roflcopter.gif

Gm 90's-early 2000's bubble styling in general is something else - Even my own '95 I sometimes looked at and thought "wtf were they thinking sometimes"

Aron9000
07-16-11, 01:15 AM
Eh, glad you like your 98 Dave. Personally I think they're UGLY. My granny has a 92ish Olds 88, and I'll tell you the fit and finish wasn't nearly as good in that car as it was in my old 91 Regal I had. Both of them drove similarly though. Buick Park Avenues and LeSabres were much better looking cars IMO, but none of them hold a candle to what Cadillac was doing around that time in terms of style.

Rodya234
07-16-11, 06:17 AM
Nice car, I like it :) I'm not the biggest fan of the interior, but that one is optioned so that it's an undercover '91 Deville. In fact, not only does it have just as many features and options as my old '91, but it cost $5,659 dollars less when new!

Bro-Ham
07-16-11, 09:57 AM

You guys and your station wagon obsessions! :) The car above looks not like your father's Oldsmobile, not even your grandfather's, maybe great grandfather's?! :)

Bro-Ham
07-16-11, 10:02 AM
Hello,

Car drives great with the new tires - when I first saw it there were blackwalls and they were cupped so badly that the whole steering column shook at highway speeds! It's smooth as silk now with the new beautiful whitewalls. :)

Computer Command Ride system appears to be riding only on the FIRM setting, I finally found the button for it hidden behind the steering wheel on the dash. I will investigate and see what is up since I'd like the "big car" ride the owner's manual talks about when on the normal setting.

So far so good with this old heap, it's actually extraordinarily clean inside and out; seats and carpets are still nice and fresh, paint sparkles and is free of blemishes. I like it, for now, we shall see how long it lasts! :)

Dave

jayoldschool
07-16-11, 12:49 PM
Dave, once you get a wagon, you will wonder how you ever got by without. Great cars.

orconn
07-16-11, 12:54 PM
You guys and your station wagon obsessions! :) The car above looks not like your father's Oldsmobile, not even your grandfather's, maybe great grandfather's?! :)

My grandfather's "Oldsmobile" was a Stutz!

77CDV
07-16-11, 01:28 PM

You say it like it's a bad thing! :D

Bro-Ham
07-16-11, 02:00 PM
I had two wagons that I used for my business 10 to 15 years ago - one was an early 80's Ford Country Squire, the other was a 1982 Olds Custom Cruiser. I really loved the wood sides, other than that someone please enlighten me as to what I'm missing. :)

By the way, across from where I live there is a Caprice wagon, looks like a 91 or 92, red with lower silver two-tone, wire wheel covers, original owners - they are sisters and it is a monastery. Next time the sisters come over to say hi and pet my dogs I'm going to ask them to sell me the car, just for fun, I can't imagine that it's worth that much, so I'll try a bubble wagon, but I've been in one before, a Roadmaster Estate, and, unlike Disney World, it didn't exactly seem like a magic moment to me. Maybe I will try more cocktails next time. :)

77CDV
07-16-11, 02:11 PM
Station wagons are appealing because they can carry lots of stuff and are quite practical, but are not a truck-based vehicle with all the attendant drawbacks.

orconn
07-16-11, 02:15 PM
To me station wagons are just big sedans that carry more stuff and rattle more while doing it! I've only had two wagons the 1978 Dodge Diplomat wagon (small by comparison with the nineties Caprices and Roadmasters of yore) but it did good service hauling playpens and other infant paraphernalia. The we had the Audi 5000S Avant, a great design, but a terrible car. The Avant served our needs during the Boy Scout years, and if I needed to carry a lot of extra stuff I consider another similar design. If I needed to haul more than an Avant would carry I'd just get a minivan!

Bro-Ham
07-16-11, 02:54 PM
Station wagons are appealing because they can carry lots of stuff and are quite practical, but are not a truck-based vehicle with all the attendant drawbacks.

I see, plus the really interesting ones have the wood sides - all American and CLASSIC!

Stingroo
07-16-11, 02:57 PM
That Caprice near you sounds identical to mine... except I threw away my wire wheel covers. I hated those things. :lol:

Find a '94-96 wagon. '95 is the best year, IMO. Bigger side mirrors, and no early OBD II quirks.

Bro-Ham
07-16-11, 02:58 PM
To me station wagons are just big sedans that carry more stuff and rattle more while doing it! I've only had two wagons the 1978 Dodge Diplomat wagon (small by comparison with the nineties Caprices and Roadmasters of yore) but it did good service hauling playpens and other infant paraphernalia. The we had the Audi 5000S Avant, a great design, but a terrible car. The Avant served our needs during the Boy Scout years, and if I needed to carry a lot of extra stuff I consider another similar design. If I needed to haul more than an Avant would carry I'd just get a minivan!

Orr, Those Audis were super attractive and very unique cars back in the mid 80's, it's amazing how many people had bad luck with them. One of my parent's neighbors had an 84 5000S and then a 1988 5000S, bought both brand new. She always said she spent so much time in the Audi dealer service department waiting area that she felt like it was a second home. She traded the 88 Audi in on a new 92 Legend and saw the light. :)

orconn
07-16-11, 02:59 PM
I see, plus the really interesting ones have the wood sides - all American and CLASSIC!

Are you referring to the vinyl, simulated wood wall paper sides that American station wagons were adorned with many years ago?

I believe the last real wood embellished station wagon was the 1954 Buick Roadmaster/Super.

Bro-Ham
07-16-11, 03:02 PM
That Caprice near you sounds identical to mine... except I threw away my wire wheel covers. I hated those things. :lol:

Find a '94-96 wagon. '95 is the best year, IMO. Bigger side mirrors, and no early OBD II quirks.

Cart ahead of the horse, I don't want a wagon bad enough to go looking for one...I'd buy the neighbor's Caprice if they would sell it, it probably has super low mileage - I hardly ever see it gone from its parking place. :)

orconn
07-16-11, 03:09 PM
Orr, Those Audis were super attractive and very unique cars back in the mid 80's, it's amazing how many people had bad luck with them. One of my parent's neighbors had an 84 5000S and then a 1988 5000S, bought both brand new. She always said she spent so much time in the Audi dealer service department waiting area that she felt like it was a second home. She traded the 88 Audi in on a new 92 Legend and saw the light. :)

Unfortunately, that was my experience and the experience of several friends who had thee Audis. However, if my son's former boss and several other folks I know that own or owned recent model Audis these cars foibles still keep them in regular contact with Audi service departments.

My '85 Audi 5000S Avant, despite its' design, was without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned. And because of this I would never own another and strongly advise others to stay clear of the make. It is ashame because Audi has some of the most attractive designs available today.

Bro-Ham
07-16-11, 03:39 PM
Unfortunately, that was my experience and the experience of several friends who had thee Audis. However, if my son's former boss and several other folks I know that own or owned recent model Audis these cars foibles still keep them in regular contact with Audi service departments.

My '85 Audi 5000S Avant, despite its' design, was without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned. And because of this I would never own another and strongly advise others to stay clear of the make. It is ashame because Audi has some of the most attractive designs available today.

Orr, I agree, super sexy Audi cars. I owned a 98 A8 several years ago, I really enjoyed the car, it was back to the dealership several times under an extended warranty that I was very thankful to have purchased. :)