: MRC Strut Question

chazglenn3
07-15-11, 02:12 PM
When driving the front struts in my car seem to be just fine, however whenever driving over a speed bump they seem to bottom out...even at very low speed. Is this something that others here have noticed with their MRC struts, or are my front struts wearing out? The car is at close to 94K miles.

mckellyb
07-15-11, 03:03 PM
Funny you mention this, 'cause I noticed, again, Wednesday, how the drainage depression 'trenches' at the local gasoline station make my rear shocks feel like they're completely disconnected. They feel normal most all of the time, though like you, I think they are a bit lacking on speed bumps, too.

EChas3
07-15-11, 10:30 PM
'Touring' or 'Performance' settings make any difference?

chazglenn3
07-15-11, 11:03 PM
Haven't tried switching to performance...I'll try it out tomorrow. I rode the bike to work tonight.

1BadCadSTS
07-16-11, 09:03 AM
The struts have internally failed. The fuild has leaked out.
My 05 STS4 1SG with 47k had both replaced last week and I just picked my fathers 07 STS4 1SG Friday as both of his were shot too at 43k. Apparently its a common failure item. Bad news, repair bill comes in at just over 1600 for the pair replaced. I love my warranty.

mckellyb
07-16-11, 11:16 AM
Mine has been on 'performance' since I got it home. I did notice a difference when pulling into our driveway on performance vs. normal. On 'normal', because our driveway is sloped up compared to the road, the car would rock to the point it felt like the stops were hitting. It was a flashback to land-yacht days, honestly, but I figured, it's a Cadillac, they couldn't exorcise all the land-yacht out of it...

They're fine over almost any pavement...it's just the really slow-speed stuff. If they'd failed 100%, it would be noticeable all the time, I'd expect.

Extended warranties are great, if they wind up being used.

This car had a transferrable one through American Auto Shield warranty, and those idiots, I mean people, insisted there had to be records of an oil change every 3mo/3K miles. I wasn't about to spend time forging the docs for 15K of warranty. I'll roll the dice.

Looks like the oil life on this car should be about 12K per change, per the indicator. I love it.

Edit: warranty thieves name correction

EChas3
07-16-11, 11:26 AM
If you notice a difference between 'Touring' and 'Performance' settings then all the fluid hasn't leaked out.

Neutrocuted
07-16-11, 05:17 PM
Mine seem to groan when they extend, not very noticeable, but I hear it and can feel it slightly. Normal or performance. I can still feel the difference between the 2 modes and switch between them often (go to normal when approaching a R/R crossing).

97k and still humpin' to please.

I also notice that the compressor usually runs for a few seconds (5-15) as I back into my garage. Don't know if it is from a slow leak or what. I do know one thing... it/they won't be replaced until total failure! It/they can moan and groan all it wants... no new MRC's 'til they're dead! I just replaced the motor mount and that dented the ole wallet, so everything else just slipped way down on my list.

Mine also seems very land yachtish at very low speeds, like backing into the garage and hitting the step-up between the asphalt and concrete. It seems to bounce a little. But as soon as I get going forward it's tight.

chazglenn3
07-16-11, 06:17 PM
Didn't notice a difference between Touring and Performance today over a couple of speed bumps. Felt like the front end bottomed out going over each slowly in each position. Drives great on the road though...especially in spirited driving on twisty roads...weird. I bought an extended warranty, but shocks aren't covered...struts are...which do we have?

mckellyb
07-16-11, 07:56 PM
These are definitely struts.

1BadCadSTS
07-16-11, 09:46 PM
Mine handled fine (so i thought) but when pulling a speed bump or hitting a pot hole (esp at low speeds) it would clunk like it was bottoming out. Per the GM repair order, "customer comments on clunk noise herd at low speed bumps, tech found both front struts internally failed due to fluid loss resulting in empty void in struts"

mckellyb
07-16-11, 10:42 PM
I have mini-speed bumps where I work...they're large plastic things, which are more a visual threat than anything, and my car feels okay over those, but I've found there are certain conditions which discombobulate the damping of the struts, completely.

chazglenn3
07-17-11, 12:31 AM
Hmmm...I need to go by the dealer and see if the struts are in fact covered.