: Okay, bad cigarette lighter, BAD!

batmanghost
07-15-11, 10:26 AM
Hi folks. The cigaretter lighter can have two wires, (1.) The Ground (2.) The Power so, I now know that at one point in time these wires were cut. Reason: Unknown. recently bought a GPS, a TOM TOM 335-SE. I want to plug it into the 12 V Cigarette Lighter except that I am getting nothing, I mean nothing, it is dead. So, my question is how do I re-wire everything to get current flowing through. I dismantled the dash already, so I have a clear view of the problem at sight. I just need to know what to do next. Thanks Cadillac Users.

P.S. This is for a 1992 Plymouth colt, a little roller skate car that I picked up for my food runs. It is made by chrysler, but I think got discontinued. -Former speed racer and Talon owner.

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 10:33 AM
Take one wire. Attach it directly to the positive terminal on both the battery and the cigarette lighter. Take another wire. Attach it directly to the negative terminal on the battery and cigarette lighter. Boom.

Quite literally, boom. Lol

C&C
07-15-11, 12:14 PM
Usually the cigarette lighter has one wire going to it. The one wire is/should be fused and it goes to the positive battery cable (usually via the fuse box); the negative (ground wire) is not used as the cigarette lighter is grounded by contact to the chassis/frame by its attachment to the dash.

The-Dullahan
07-17-11, 04:50 AM
And on an early nineties Chryco, it most likely goes to the same fuse as the usual things like your interior lamps, your stereo and also, it probably connects to something important that would save your life, so long as the fuse never blows.

Playdrv4me
07-17-11, 05:19 AM
I'm curious as to why your first (and only) post on a Cadillac forum, was for a technical question on a... Plymouth Colt?... What exactly led you here?

OffThaHorseCEO
07-18-11, 12:13 PM
dont question him, he's batmans ghost