: 2010 SRX ARM REST Center Console

Penndon44
07-15-11, 06:39 AM
Does any one else have a problem with the Center Console Arm Rest moving too freely, Just slides forward very very easy. I lean on it and it slides forward. Even pop ed the lid off a few containers I had sitting in the cup holder. I ask the service advisor about it . He said their is nothing he can do about it ( live with it ) . I went to another dealer and the sale person told me that the center console in the 2011 models was stiffer does not slide as freely . Can any tell me what can I do to resolve the problem ??? I have a 2010 SRX Lux Model

Marc NY
07-15-11, 09:57 AM
Here is my unofficial .02

I believe the consoles will vary from one unit to another and I am not sure if there are any adjustments that can be made to make it harder to move.

BTW: I have also experienced the console moving up or back unexpectedly (in other vehicles as well) when I leaned on it with some unexpected minor extra force. In your case, now that you are aware of this issue, you will have to remember not to lean on the console so hard (i.e. "Detroit Lean") as to cause it to move forward into your coffee cups. I find if you lay your arm on the console normally without any extra force forward or reward the console will have enough restriction to keep it in it's selected spot or place.

Unfortunately, what you seem to be experiencing appears to be part of the inherent characteristics of any movable (sliding) console. Now if your are is resting normally on the console and you hit the brakes which then causes the console to "bolt" forward then I would say you have a concern that needs to be addressed.

GMJim
07-15-11, 12:59 PM
"Detroit Lean"

Hey Home'
I resemble that!

KevinOpp
07-15-11, 10:32 PM
Does any one else have a problem with the Center Console Arm Rest moving too freely, Just slides forward very very easy. I lean on it and it slides forward. Even pop ed the lid off a few containers I had sitting in the cup holder. I ask the service advisor about it . He said their is nothing he can do about it ( live with it ) . I went to another dealer and the sale person told me that the center console in the 2011 models was stiffer does not slide as freely . Can any tell me what can I do to resolve the problem ??? I have a 2010 SRX Lux Model

if you do a search for an older thread re: this issue, someone did describe how he placed 2 screws on the bottom which just kept it from moving at all. not a great fix, but better than smashing 2 styrofoam coffee cups all over the console. mine acts exactly as yours does. i would have done the screw thing already, but when going for a long drive w/o a cup, it really is more comfortable to slide it forward.

sube5186
07-16-11, 10:21 AM
if you do a search for an older thread re: this issue, someone did describe how he placed 2 screws on the bottom which just kept it from moving at all.

I tried this fix on mine. It didn't work for me.

Sube

Tripletsmom
07-07-12, 10:30 PM
Hmm I have a 2010 lux and my armrest doesnt slide- it has a hinge and opens upwards with the push of a button. I am wondering if this was a "fix"on a later model 2010??!

sube5186
07-08-12, 11:55 AM
Hmm I have a 2010 lux and my armrest doesnt slide- it has a hinge and opens upwards with the push of a button. I am wondering if this was a "fix"on a later model 2010??!

Couldn't be, as the 2011s also slide. Some are tighter than others and thus require more effort to slide. Did you purchase it new? If not, maybe the previous owner did their own fix with the two screws.

Sube

Turbo Dude
07-08-12, 07:22 PM
Mine does not slide either. 2 buttons on the front of lid. One opens the shallow top, the other the bottom compartment. Unless I'm missing something.

algiorda
07-08-12, 10:46 PM
Mine is also still nice and tight. I have, however, had it slide on me on a few occasions.

TheCaptain
07-08-12, 11:47 PM
Buttons do not control the slide on the armrest. Downward pressure controls the sliding.

Turbo Dude
07-09-12, 08:17 AM
I stand corrected.

This morning I tried the slide and it does. By the force it took to slide it forward, I'd say the previous owner didn't realize it slid either.

Seems pretty tight with 2 positions. One mid, and full forward. Thanks for setting me straight. Another hidden feature I don't remember seeing in the manual.

Tripletsmom
07-09-12, 11:44 PM
Soo whats the advantage to it sliding if it already opens upwards with the two front buttons? I'm curious.

Turbo Dude
07-09-12, 11:56 PM
Soo whats the advantage to it sliding if it already opens upwards with the two front buttons? I'm curious.

Comfort

hawkowl
07-10-12, 12:13 AM
Love the sliding armrest...it is one of the features that sold me on the SRX. The Audi Q5 has an even better armrest, adjusting not only forward and back but also vertically. Would love to see this feature on future Cadillac vehicles

marks628
07-10-12, 07:42 PM
Mine slides pretty easily, does anyone know if it can be adjusted tighter?

RippyPartsDept
07-10-12, 08:11 PM
your dealer might replace it under warranty if you can convince them it is supposed to be tighter and there are no other ways to fix it to be tighter

zinner
07-11-12, 11:09 AM
I hate that arm rest, I am glad someone in the thread likes it. When it slides forward and hits your cups/bottles in the drink holder I have to think what where the engineers thinking. Not to mention if you actually use it, it's starling when your arm slides out from under you.

RippyPartsDept
07-11-12, 11:37 AM
will a 12oz aluminum can fit underneath the slid out armrest?

allgm
07-11-12, 12:48 PM
will a 12oz aluminum can fit underneath the slid out armrest?

Yes 12 oz and 16 oz both fit and arm rest will move foward. I uses a Bud Light 12 oz and a Mikes Hard Lemon Aid 16 oz .

RippyPartsDept
07-11-12, 04:07 PM
seems pretty useful then still... i'm guessing that fast food to-go cups wont' fit under the slide action tho - especially with straws in them

hawkowl
07-12-12, 12:04 AM
I hate that arm rest, I am glad someone in the thread likes it. When it slides forward and hits your cups/bottles in the drink holder I have to think what where the engineers thinking. Not to mention if you actually use it, it's starling when your arm slides out from under you.

Never had mine slip in either position. Driving comfort and ergonomics is a much higher priority for me than access to cupholders, but would be nice if there were some way to clip it into place to avoid the slippage.

Am I the only one that actually uses the center armrest for its intended purpose?

zinner
07-15-12, 04:20 PM
All they had to do was put some facility in the arm rest to keep it in place. like they have for canes, tent pools, anything with adjustment. I can't convince the wife to let me affix it in place :)O

stevec5375
07-15-12, 05:20 PM
Yes 12 oz and 16 oz both fit and arm rest will move foward. I uses a Bud Light 12 oz and a Mikes Hard Lemon Aid 16 oz .

Don't you have an open container law for alcoholic beverages in Ohio?

stevec5375
07-15-12, 05:22 PM
I have found not trying to dislodge one's undergarments from one's butt crack solves the slide problem with the arm rest.

allgm
07-16-12, 12:42 PM
:)
Don't you have an open container law for alcoholic beverages in Ohio?

Yes Ohio has open container law. I got two cans out of the refrigator as samples to answer the above question what fits. SRX was parked in garage.
Beverage's are for the pool area.:)

RippyPartsDept
07-16-12, 03:42 PM
soda and other NA beverages come in 12 and 16 ounce aluminum cans

zinner
07-16-12, 08:52 PM
I only by my diet sodas in 32 oz's or greater, it's not like I live in NYC :)