: Oh, the horror...

brandondeleo
07-14-11, 09:31 PM
Just drove into town, and I noticed that there was a Mazda Miata show going on... There was more estrogen at that park than the entire Lifetime Network.

orconn
07-15-11, 12:01 AM
Just drove into town, and I noticed that there was a Mazda Miata show going on... There was more estrogen at that park than the entire Lifetime Network.

Sounds like an inviting opportunity!

gary88
07-15-11, 12:08 AM
Miatas are one of the best driver's cars you can buy.

Jesda
07-15-11, 12:12 AM
I missed a big Miata meet that was held here in STL a few years ago. I wish I was able to go.

vincentm
07-15-11, 01:27 AM

Miatas = yuppymobiles

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-11, 01:55 AM
Miatas = yuppymobiles

Do you ever say anything nice about a foreign car?

I've always wanted to drive a Miata, but lack any reason to go out and actually test drive one.

ga_etc
07-15-11, 02:07 AM
Miatas are awesome little cars. They handle like a go-kart and rarely break.

You need to open your mind to something more than Devilles and Sebrings.

Rodya234
07-15-11, 02:16 AM
I recognize the Miata's capabilities as a track car, but I still don't like them and would never consider owning one. Chiefly because at 6'4", 200lbs and counting on both, I would find interior space lacking. Hell, I think my Seville is small.

Aron9000
07-15-11, 03:51 AM
^ Yeah, Miatas are not for big dudes lol

I think they are just plain stupid fun myself. While the ultimate grip isn't all that high due to small factory tires, it is one of the best handling cars you can buy for any price. Plus I just love how simple they are. The top is manual, there is no traction control, ABS was an option, manual tranny is a must, the 4 cylinder engine is nothing exotic and doesn't break, the styling is clean and not fussy(at least on the NA and NB cars).

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 04:26 AM
I love lots of cars. I just happen to come across cars I do not like a lot. Lol. The Miata is a fun little car, but just not my thing. It's a chick car, too. Lol.

Jesda
07-15-11, 05:50 AM
Most Miatas are registered to married men (and I don't mean Vermont married).

Miatas are autocross champs.

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 05:52 AM
(and I don't mean Vermont married)
*Don't get it. Is Vermont a same-sex friendly state? (apologize in advance for ignorance)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-11, 08:29 AM
Yeah, saying "Vermont Married" is a friendly way of saying "queer".

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 09:00 AM
Ah, I see.

Stingroo
07-15-11, 09:03 AM
LSx powered Miata.

That is all.

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 09:10 AM
LSx powered Miata.

That is all.
http://tinypic.com/eulbtu.jpg

Stingroo
07-15-11, 09:17 AM
So it's ugly AND still expensive to repair.

NTY.

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 09:23 AM
Just drop the engine out and replace the VW around it. Cheaper that way. Lol

I totally want to drive that Golf. I bet it's faster than shit.

The Tony Show
07-15-11, 11:26 AM
I'm straight, married with kids, love beer and football and I've owned 3 Miatas. Hands down, it's the best handling, easiest to repair, intelligently designed fun car you can buy for a reasonable amount of money.

People who call them chick cars or mock them are either horrendously closed minded and ignorant to their capabilities, jealous they don't have one or just isn't a real car fanatic.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-15-11, 12:16 PM
ive grown to like miatas too. i may end up owning one one day, probably try to find an older beater and try to stuff a v8 into it

vincentm
07-15-11, 12:18 PM
Do you ever say anything nice about a foreign car?
Actually I do, there's just alot I don't like.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-15-11, 12:45 PM
ill just leave these here

http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/green99/images/img_6600.jpg
http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/green99/images/ls376_480%20miata.jpg

http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/

Rodya234
07-15-11, 01:05 PM
I don't get puting a big engine into any small car. You'd ruin the weight distribution, and with that much power you'd probably have traction problems. And even though it might be fast, there are plenty of big cars with big engines that are way faster, and probably cost less. If I just purely wanted to go fast, instead of ruining a perfectly balanced car, I'd rather have a beater Camaro that made 800hp, or better yet, a bike.

gdwriter
07-15-11, 01:10 PM
I've driven a friend's Miata a number of times, and it is a blast to drive, go-kart handling, great shifter and has sufficient power for its light weight. Being 6' 0 and 210, it's kind of a tight fit for me, and I would always bang my knees on the steering column, so I don't see it as a practical daily driver for me, but it's a little car that a man can drive the whee out of without shame. It certainly does not deserve the chick car label.

VW Beetles, on the other hand...

OffThaHorseCEO
07-15-11, 01:40 PM
I don't get puting a big engine into any small car. You'd ruin the weight distribution, and with that much power you'd probably have traction problems. And even though it might be fast, there are plenty of big cars with big engines that are way faster, and probably cost less. If I just purely wanted to go fast, instead of ruining a perfectly balanced car, I'd rather have a beater Camaro that made 800hp, or better yet, a bike.

this company has mastered this art apparently. they claim to have kept the weight nearly the same on many occasions, and only increasing weight by about 200lbs on most occasions. this comes from using lighter but stronger parts.

they modify the firewall and trans hump to keep weight distribution as balanced as possible and as close to original as possible

traction problems can be solved many ways, stickier wider tires being one

as for ruining, thats an opinion, also, it could be that a vehicle with a blown engine was rescued instead of ending up at the crushers.

800hp camaros are a dime a dozen, crotch rockets are much more dangerous, are expected to be fast and are also a dime a dozen.

The math is simple. Little car plus big engine = high performance. The trick is putting the big engine in without spoiling the little car.
We've teamed up with the experts at V8 Roadsters to offer a kit that mates the amazing GM Gen III/Gen IV - or "LS" - family of engines to a 1990-05 Miata. The engine is a beauty that ranges in size from 5.3 to 6.3 liters and makes a minimum of 300 hp and 300 ft-lbs with a wide range of upgrades available. We mate it to a strong T56 6-speed transmission that offers a nice tight gate and an extremely relaxed cruising gear. The rear end is an aluminum-bodied limited slip unit from the Cadillac CTS, with a custom driveshaft, new rear hubs and high-strength axles. Engine management is handled by the stock GM unit, which is easily reprogrammed and can return OBD-II codes.

To mount the engine, we have a fabricated tubular subframe that's 10 lbs lighter than stock. The transmission is supported by a brace that also reinforces the frame rails for extra rigidity. The engine is set back as far as possible to optimize the weight distribution, and some modifications are required to the engine bay and transmission tunnel. The Miata power steering is retained and you can use A/C and the front sway bar.
Overall, the car gains less than 200 lbs with 1/3 of that on the rear wheels. In other words, the car does not become a nose-heavy beast. To put things in perspective, one of our SuperFour Challenge turbo Miatas came in at almost exactly the same weight and distribution. From the outside, the car looks completely stock. The ground clearance is unchanged and nothing needs to be altered on the body. As long as the engine is off, it's a great sleeper. But once you fire it up, there's no mistaking what's underhood.

Does it handle? Well, the first time we took one autocrossing, we set FTD with it - by a margin of nearly 4 seconds. We've destroyed our own lap records around our local track, outrunning purpose-built race Miatas with a street-oriented V8 Miata. Yeah, it handles.

The Tony Show
07-15-11, 02:00 PM
While Miatas with V8 swaps are awesome, I still prefer the 140hp 1.8L. Why? Because you can drive it like an absolute maniac and it will very rarely bite back.

Tackling a road course or twisty road in a Miata quickly requires keeping the revs high, maintaining momentum and always being in the right gear. Sure an LS equipped car will loaf through those same roads as quickly using only part throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear, but it's just not as much fun as hearing the engine singing at the redline and being able to put the throttle completely on the floor without worrying about power oversteer.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-11, 07:36 PM
I really need to test drive a Miata. One of my bigger clients took in a white NB auto on trade and it's sitting on their used car lot. I think I'll try and get the keys to it sometime and take it out for a spin.

The Tony Show
07-15-11, 07:53 PM
I'm normally not a manual transmission snob, but the auto in Miatas is tragic and destroys everything that makes the car what it is.

Most modern cars are just fine with an auto, but when it comes to the MX5 no stick = not a real Miata.

ga_etc
07-15-11, 08:06 PM
^:yeah:

I've only had the opportunity to get behind the wheel of one Miata, but that one test drive showed me how much fun those little cars are. You get in, drop the top over your right shoulder, and haul ass.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-11, 08:12 PM
I'm normally not a manual transmission snob, but the auto in Miatas is tragic and destroys everything that makes the car what it is.

Most modern cars are just fine with an auto, but when it comes to the MX5 no stick = not a real Miata.

Oh I'm not buying this one, and I'm sure if I was buying one, it'd be a manual, but this is great because I can just get in and go!

orconn
07-15-11, 08:51 PM
Around the various places I venture Miatas are driven by all sorts of people ... far from just girls, I see all age groups, genders and socio-economic levels driving these cars. Which says to me that they have something very unique to offer. Let's face it what passes as "sports cars" today are really just over weight "boulevardiers" that only live up to their somewhat dubious potential at some risk to the inexperienced driver. With the demise of GM's entry in the "light" sports car field Miata has become, once again, the only game in town. Thank god the Miata remains affordable to most anybody with a paycheck!

brandondeleo
07-15-11, 10:23 PM
I would like to drive a Miata. They do truly look like fun. It's just not for me. A friend of mine has one, but I should really brush up on my manual skills first. Lol

Destroyer
07-15-11, 11:41 PM
I recognize the Miata's capabilities as a track car, but I still don't like them and would never consider owning one. Chiefly because at 6'4", 200lbs and counting on both, I would find interior space lacking. Hell, I think my Seville is small.I'm the same height and heavier and I had a '97 Miata. This was like 4 years ago and I did gain some weight. Still, cozy but fun as hell! I think it was the best handling car I ever had.

gdwriter
07-16-11, 12:54 AM
I'm sure Rick will be shocked -- shocked, I say -- that I believe an automatic in a Miata is an abomination. Some cars should only come with a stick, and the Miata is one of them.

orconn
07-16-11, 12:59 AM
A automatic in a Miata would be as bad as a stick in a Seville STS ... an evil encumbrance!

Aron9000
07-16-11, 02:21 AM
^ Agreed!! I feel like 4 cylinder mini-trucks are another one of those vehicle segments where they never should've offered automatics.

STS_Seville_Hunter
07-16-11, 04:43 AM

Trust me the weight distribution is not ruined at all. My buddy has one I always tell him its like a modern 427 Cobra

Aron9000
07-16-11, 07:41 PM

The all aluminum LS1 and its later all aluminum derivatives are surprisingly light and compact. I've been reading quite a bit about ls1 swaps, guys have said that the LS1 actually weighed less than the DOCH V6 or BMW I6 they were yanking out.

gary88
07-16-11, 08:18 PM
THe LS1 is a common swap for the E36

RVZ0duq5Bh8

The-Dullahan
07-17-11, 04:33 AM
Last time I was in Vegas, some high-manager-person from the hotel I stayed at drove a Miata. He told me all about how long they last and the mileage they get and that the only thing to break was his rear window, which doesn't matter, because he never puts the top up as it never rains in Nevada anyhow...So if it came down to having my choice between the Miata I was being told about, the ancestral '64 Cadillac my Girlfriend drove there, or the Deuce-And-A-Half I drove for the entire stay...Well, I guess it's really all about opinion...and some people just have the wrong damned opinion...

Playdrv4me
07-17-11, 05:27 AM
As much as I like my LS400s and such, I have to admit that the Miata is one of an *extremely* select group of Japanese vehicles that's actually worth a damn in the enthusiast world.