: Q for guys that have painted their grills...

js615
07-14-11, 07:13 PM
Now that you've got some substanitial drive time with the paint, how it it holding up? Especially those that went with flat black paint. Several of the shops I've talked to around KC have warned about potential flaking and higher potential for chip if I don't go with a clear coat.

thebigjimsho
07-14-11, 07:19 PM
I'm sorry. I haven't done mine yet. I was going to take off the grille and do it tonight but I'm leaving on a road trip Sunday morning and just ran out of time. When I get back, it's #1 on my list to do. I'm hopeful the Krylon Fusion will be a paint, set and forget type of deal...

js615
07-14-11, 07:24 PM
BigJim - I talked to a couple of local hot rod shops and the big concern they had was getting a good scrub of the plastic chrome that is on there now. They also all advised to use an Adhesion promoter as well as a good primer. I wonder what the others have done...

thebigjimsho
07-14-11, 07:33 PM
BigJim - I talked to a couple of local hot rod shops and the big concern they had was getting a good scrub of the plastic chrome that is on there now. They also all advised to use an Adhesion promoter as well as a good primer. I wonder what the others have done...I'm gonna do it without and see exactly what can and can't be done with that stuff. If it doesn't work, then we'll know. If it does, chalk up another sweet, cheap mod for me(the 3M di-noc carbon fiber on the gray plastic being the other one).

thebigjimsho
07-14-11, 07:33 PM
I mean, I'll still clean and prep it a little. Just not go crazy on it...

JimmyH
07-14-11, 07:43 PM
I used Krylon Fusion over chromed plastic with no other prep (besides cleaning with soap and water) and no chipping after 6 months (including winter salt). I will qualify, however, that it was a Chevy bowtie emblem (large, flat surfaces) not compound curved surfaces like the V's mesh grill.

js615
07-14-11, 07:43 PM
I've been thinking about a wrap for the rear diffuser and the the chin extension. Still need to research a good shop that really knows what they are doing...

JimmyH
07-14-11, 08:04 PM
There is a vendor here, proimaging. It looks like he does quality work. Though it's the hydro printing, not a wrap.

A909killer
07-14-11, 08:51 PM
I did mine with a couple coats of some stuff called plasti-dip. It's held up through a couple 500 mile trips to Vegas and about 4000 miles of mostly highway driving. No chips or peeling whatsoever. I didn't prep or sand before applying it either. Ive used this stuff on my 335 in the past and it still holding up perfectly.

elphil
07-14-11, 09:12 PM
I've picked up 3 or 4 pin head size chips in 2,000 miles. Use touch up plus clear coat and the chips completely disappear. http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/elphil_photo/?action=view&current=IMG_0074.jpg

js615
07-14-11, 09:30 PM
@elphil - your grill looks exactly like I want mine to look.

Domsz06
07-15-11, 09:32 AM
I've picked up a few chips on mine after 10k.

js615
07-15-11, 10:36 AM
I've picked up a few chips on mine after 10k.

I assume these are minor (i.e., no peeling or large chunks) and easily touched up?

Ketzer
07-15-11, 10:39 AM
I bead blasted all my chrome parts with a media specifically for plastic. Only way to get every edge, nook, cranny, surface. Low pressure, pay attention. Then a good adhesion promoter for plastic as others have suggested.
It's a lot harder to get all the pieces off and ready than it is to paint them.

Durability. It is like any painted surface, when done properly it should hold up as well as the rest of the front end does.

Jeff-

Speedtrapped
08-05-11, 02:28 PM
I just finished plasti-dipping all my front end chrome....as previously described just soap and water, no other prep...took 4 cans to thouroughly coat everything. I did this on my Audi grill and after week, the stuff is hard. I will post some pics of the finished pieces, my V should be back from the body shop a week from today.....
btw, I expiremented...once fully dried on surface, if you wnat to remove you take a spray bottle of rubbing alchol and power washer, comes right off....back too stock

JimmyH
08-05-11, 03:34 PM
I was wondering about that. So if you plastidip anything, a touchless car wash is probably not a good idea?

Speedtrapped
08-05-11, 08:02 PM
^^^^ good point, but I hand wash my cars, I have raven black, scratches easily show up. I did plasti dip a cheap chromed intake tube, 4 coats....week later, I tried to scratch off with finger nails, nope, stuck on.

MSOsr
08-06-11, 03:36 PM
I'm gonna do it without and see exactly what can and can't be done with that stuff. If it doesn't work, then we'll know. If it does, chalk up another sweet, cheap mod for me(the 3M di-noc carbon fiber on the gray plastic being the other one).

How did the Krylon Fusion work out?

Mike

1fastfamilycar
08-06-11, 07:53 PM
I used Plasti-dip on my G8 trim and it held up well - no chips or peeling...