: Margaritaville....

Night Wolf
10-19-04, 12:52 AM
So I heard this is the most popular song in the history of America... I didn't remember it off hand, so I downlaoded it...

It is a good song... but what is it about the song that makes it soo popular and well-known... not to mentioned mentioned in many other songs?

Elvis
10-19-04, 01:14 AM
You've never heard Margaritaville?

Damn, I'm getting old.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-19-04, 01:19 AM
i dont think its old so much , just ...ah crap im old too i guess

I dunno what it is but Jimmy Buffet is one of the greats , got alot of his music ...Im what they call a "Parrot Head"

To me its all about havin fun and ....
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

Elvis
10-19-04, 01:32 AM
Jimmy's 57 now. He was 29 or 30 when he recorded Margaritaville. Does that give you an idea how old it is?

I was 13. A couple other hits from his next album were "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and "Son of a Son of a Sailor." I wore that cassette out too.

Ralph
10-19-04, 01:37 AM
Jimmy's 57 now. He was 29 or 30 when he recorded Margaritaville. Does that give you an idea how old it is?

I was 13. A couple other hits from his next album were "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and "Son of a Son of a Sailor." I wore that cassette out too.

I bought that K-Tel record called "Hot Ones" back around 1977 and that was one of my favorite songs. Did you guys have K-Tel records? I would have thought Meatloaf had more successful songs.

Elvis
10-19-04, 01:48 AM
Oh yeah, we had K-Tel down here too. The annoying commercials! We also had Ron Popeil. Inventor of the pocket fisherman and the veg-o-matic.

I still have Meatloaf's "Bat out of Hell" album on vinyl. There's a scratch in the record at the point Scooter Rizzuto does his famous baseball play-by-play. I played that part over and over and over.

Funny, that song has an entirely different meaning to a 12-year-old than it does to a 17-year-old. I didn't even know what a "euphemism" was! I just liked the baseball part.

Ralph
10-19-04, 01:59 AM
Funny, that song has an entirely different meaning to a 12-year-old than it does to a 17-year-old. I didn't even know what a "euphemism" was! I just liked the baseball part.

I was going to say something about RB, but I'd better keep my mouth shut. :hide:

Ya, I had a lot of those K-Tel, another one was "Hit Machine" and "Blockbuster" Remember Boz Skags, "WAR", (Low Rider) Who did that Muhamid Ali "Black Superman" song? You know what I'm talking about old man... :lildevil:

majax
10-19-04, 03:08 AM
I have heard Margaritaville a thousand times. I have nto heard Meatloaf in a long time if ever. wait I know one song of his

RBraczyk
10-19-04, 07:38 AM
Jimmy buffet is god. He sounds like a maniac in his more recent work though.

RB out (still looking for those damn parrot head plate frames)

airbalancer
10-19-04, 08:04 AM
Margsritaville was a song about gelling
I think there use to be more song writes from the late 60's and 70's who would sing and you could understand the words they were singing.
Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, Jim Buffet, Billy Joel, Rod Stewart, Eton John

Meatloaf's Bat out Hell would be the album if I was a on deserted island.
Also remember the Bat out Hell album with the cover on the vinyl

RBraczyk
10-19-04, 08:11 AM
About understanding words in songs, I can interpret slipknot and the like. How come you old timers can't?

Elvis
10-19-04, 11:37 AM
I was going to say something about RB, but I'd better keep my mouth shut. :hide:

Ya, I had a lot of those K-Tel, another one was "Hit Machine" and "Blockbuster" Remember Boz Skags, "WAR", (Low Rider) Who did that Muhamid Ali "Black Superman" song? You know what I'm talking about old man... :lildevil:

You probably still have an 8-track with "Having My Baby" on it. Wait a minute--Paul Anka is another famous Canadian, right?

daacon
10-19-04, 12:06 PM
You probably still have an 8-track with "Having My Baby" on it. Wait a minute--Paul Anka is another famous Canadian, right?

:histeric: Yes "Famous" - Lounge act in Vegas - not my cup-o-tea per say , then again neither is Wayne Newton

One hit wonders and K-Tel - Ram Jam (Black Betty) , 5 Man Electrical Band (I am stranger here) , Popcorn by ??? Louie Louie by ??? Gary Gliter (Rock and Roll Rock .....pricesless lyrics ) memorbale songs ...forgetable artists (for the most part) ......tons more

K-tel also had the Record (LP) Holder with "memory" - it would remeber where the album went (ahaha) and a Candel maker out of bottles (basically a glass cutter). As I kid my parents were the recepient of some of these "fine" prodcuts

Elvis
10-19-04, 03:16 PM
"5-man electrical band" sounds like "Starland Vocal Band."

10 points for whoever knows the proper response to that.

daacon
10-19-04, 05:09 PM
"5-man electrical band" sounds like "Starland Vocal Band."

10 points for whoever knows the proper response to that.

Afternoon Delight ?

Elvis
10-19-04, 07:12 PM
Afternoon Delight ?

Actually, it's "skyrockets in flight, afternoon delight," so you only get 7.5 points for that one. Sorry. :nono:

airbalancer
10-19-04, 07:41 PM
Actually, it's "skyrockets in flight, afternoon delight," so you only get 7.5 points for that one. Sorry. :nono:

Sorry Elvis, you should be get band for a week just for writing about Afternoon Delight :tisk:

Elvis
10-19-04, 08:57 PM
Sorry Elvis, you should be get band for a week just for writing about Afternoon Delight :tisk:

Maybe you'd prefer a little Gordon Lightfoot?

Ralph
10-19-04, 09:13 PM
Bah, everytime I try one of my old 8 tracks they just shatter! These fancy kids today with their elaborate CD players, etc. :helpless:

Do you know who Stompin' Tom Connors is? Or where he's from? 10 points says you dont, better do a quick Google search LOL!

daacon
10-19-04, 09:46 PM

Man tough judging I think that was worth an 8.5 at least !!! - I actually sang those words but thought the song was called Afternoon delight - and this was without a google search !! Just remembering my '63 Pontia and crusing with the "pimping" AM Radio and the tiny 'speakers' to the pop tunes of the time

k I will give ya 10 points (5 points each - no google !!!) - on 'hit' (truly debatable - but they had air time for sure) from each

Terry Jacks
Edward Bear

Man I am old...........................and loving it :D

davesdeville
10-19-04, 10:29 PM
What about pina-collada town?

(anybody see Club Dread?)

Night Wolf
10-19-04, 10:31 PM
I have heard the song before...

... but just what makes it so popular?

it is the #1 song in America....most played etc....

... my favorite music genere is country... followed by rock... btw

Elvis
10-19-04, 11:26 PM
I think "Yesterday" by the Beatles is still the #1 played song.

"Margaritaville" has a strong cult following.

daacon
10-20-04, 12:34 AM
I think "Yesterday" by the Beatles is still the #1 played song.

"Margaritaville" has a strong cult following.

Nice guess on Yesterday there Elvis ...according to at least one source ...

http://www.classicbands.com/mostplayed.html

airbalancer
10-20-04, 08:00 AM
Man tough judging I think that was worth an 8.5 at least !!! - I actually sang those words but thought the song was called Afternoon delight - and this was without a google search !! Just remembering my '63 Pontia and crusing with the "pimping" AM Radio and the tiny 'speakers' to the pop tunes of the time

k I will give ya 10 points (5 points each - no google !!!) - on 'hit' (truly debatable - but they had air time for sure) from each

Terry Jacks
Edward Bear

Man I am old...........................and loving it :D

You are bring up some bad song from our time period
Can we stick to Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac , the Who, ELP, Boston, minded cramp at this time in morning to remember more

T_Dogg8
10-20-04, 09:21 AM
jimmy buffet gives all us working stiffs somethign to look forward to. i was at his new restaurant in myrtle beach a couple months ago and can't wait to go back. he reminds people of a more 'fun' life. i have practically all of his albums. there are a couple more i'm looking for though.

daacon
10-20-04, 10:33 AM
You are bring up some bad song from our time period
Can we stick to Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac , the Who, ELP, Boston, minded cramp at this time in morning to remember more

Bad songs for sure - but plenty of air time on the old AM dial back then

That was my point :D the classics are easy ....

MeatLoaf, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Queen, AC DC,Led Zep, Kiss , CCR, Eagles, Pink FLoyd, Three Dog Night, Yes, Genisis, Alan Parsons, Deep Purple, Balck Sabbath, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Niel Young , Rod Stewart, Bruce Srpingsteen, Eric Clapton, and many others .......

Just to mention a few of my favorite things ......

airbalancer
10-20-04, 02:05 PM
Bad songs for sure - but plenty of air time on the old AM dial back then

That was my point :D the classics are easy ....

MeatLoaf, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Queen, AC DC,Led Zep, Kiss , CCR, Eagles, Pink FLoyd, Three Dog Night, Yes, Genisis, Alan Parsons, Deep Purple, Balck Sabbath, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Niel Young , Rod Stewart, Bruce Srpingsteen, Eric Clapton, and many others .......

Just to mention a few of my favorite things ......

A list I can agree with.