: Thoughts on a strange noise?

taken
07-13-11, 08:52 PM
So, the car goes in this Friday for some small cosmetic items that the dealer agreed to do when we purchased. While there, we are having them check the TPMS system as it's been misbehaving since we got the car. Yellow light on and message to service the system. Anyways, we have a last thing for them to check and I don't know where to start on it. I guess it's there job to figure it out but I thought I would tap the knowledge base here before heading in. So, there is a sound coming from the right rear wheel area when your slowly taking off from a stop. A pop, a snap, a crack. Not really sure how to describe it. Not super loud but there. Happens when going around a corner at low speeds as well. I suppose it could be coming from the rear end, but I usually seem to perceive it coming from the right side rear of the car. Any ideas?

Domsz06
07-13-11, 08:54 PM
sounds like you have the dreaded wheel clicking noise.

no real solution, but lots of things that work for some, not for others.

taken
07-13-11, 08:57 PM
I thought of that, but when I read about that issue here it sounded like it happened all the time. Mine is only once in a while and not constant. Same issue?

Domsz06
07-13-11, 09:04 PM
sorry I can't be of more help since mine doesn't have it. I have heard it starts randomly at first, and then gets worse, but I really don't know.

cbloveday
07-13-11, 09:20 PM
Could be the differential. Make sure they check the fluid level.

taken
07-13-11, 10:04 PM
Will do on the fluid level. Was thinking that myself.

e6t
07-13-11, 10:13 PM
Cannot duplicate.

taken
07-13-11, 10:25 PM
Cannot duplicate.

I'd bet money. Whatever. It's under warranty for another 3 years. If it gets worse I'll duplicate it with them in the car. If not then no worries....

Trapspeed
07-13-11, 11:16 PM
Try this: with as little outside noise as possible, roll down the windows and back the car up. Put it in forward gear and gently roll on the gas. Does it click? If so, there is a guidance on this where they need to put "shims" behind the rear wheels somewhere. I just had this done to mine. Problem solved. Matter of fact, the advisor found in a list of known complaints under "Customer states there is a clicking noise when shifting from "R" to "D". Sound like it?

taken
07-14-11, 08:37 AM
Interesting. Seems to happen more when starting out than when shifting, but will get the wife out there today with me to do some more investigating. Thanks very much for the info!

NC STS-V
07-14-11, 10:28 AM
I have also noticed this in my '10 manual. Haven't had time to investigate, but to me it sounds different than the wheel click I had also been experiencing.

EVIL_C5
07-14-11, 11:04 AM
so my car made an odd noise and sounds maybe like yours.....when the car was cold, it made some slight noise in turns and going from park to reverse or drive and such. so had the diff fluid changed mainly for V day, and it got even worse. we added a bottle of limited slip additive and it almost went away. now it just has a slight click when changing gears at stop, and there is a TSB for washers on the half shafts that the parts have been ordered for and are getting installed.

the noise mine was making after the fluid change, i thought for sure something was broken badly....

taken
07-15-11, 11:55 PM
Well, not what I expected. Got the car back today with an axle on order. Right rear axle binding was the diagnoses.

cbloveday
07-16-11, 12:32 AM
Interesting. First I heard of that.