: 1995 fleetwood power steering issues

outsider
07-13-11, 08:29 PM
Power steering on my 1995 fleetwood seems to die out when the car is not moving. I've tried unplugging the variable assist steering deal and it didn't improve. Fluid looks good, not dirty and the level is right.

Hoping it's not the pump and/or gear but what else could it be? any ideas?

thanks.

jayoldschool
07-13-11, 10:11 PM
Ten bucks on leaking water pump. The bearings/seal fails, allowing water to drip out the weep hole on the bottom of the pump. This drips on the belt, causing it to slip at low speeds. To check the pump (with the engine cold), reach under the pump with your hand. I bet it comes out with coolant on it. You don't see a drip on the driveway because the coolant just gets burnt off the belts.

outsider
07-13-11, 10:14 PM
Just had the water pump replaced in may but I will look if it's leaking. could a previous coolant leak have ruined the belt?

jayoldschool
07-13-11, 11:42 PM
Maybe if it slipped for a long time it got glazed. Not as likely with a serpentine setup, though. Make sure you check that pump on the bottom, and if it is dry, change the belt. About ten bucks, and five minutes to change. A bit longer if you have tow pack...

thefleetwoodguy
07-14-11, 02:02 AM
along that same line of thinking maybe a weak belt tensioner?

outsider
07-14-11, 09:22 AM
ooh didn't think about the tensioner. I'll swap out the belt this weekend...is there any way to test the tensioner? I may just pick one up and replace it anyways.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll let you know this weekend how it turns out!

jayoldschool
07-14-11, 12:08 PM
Good call, Jim.

HUF
07-14-11, 11:14 PM
I am at my third tensioner only after 95.000 miles.

jayoldschool
07-14-11, 11:16 PM
Weird. I have never changed one on any of my LT1s...