: Stability Control and Shocks

tdsteen
07-13-11, 04:18 PM
December, 2010, I bought a used 2006 Cadillac STS with 21000 miles on it. It was not a certified car from the Cadillac dealership, because of the age. It seems to take bumps a little rough. I believe the odometer reading, so is seems premature to have to change the shocks already. Plus, if I turn right from a stop with any speed at all, the stability control indicator comes on and it makes a groaning sound. I may be over reacting or too sensitive, but would appreciate your opinion. Thanks, Tom

EChas3
07-13-11, 07:53 PM
I doubt your shocks are worn. What tires on on it? Most OEM Michelins are awful; hard & slick. A small slip will activate Stability and/or Traction Control. They are two different things.

If you haven't had the VIN run at Compnine.com, there's a label on the spare tire cover in the trunk. The Magnetic Ride Control shocks are code FE3. Firm.

MacMuse
07-14-11, 10:51 AM
Good call on the tires. If they are the originals then replace them ASAP regardless of the mileage.

Bought my '06 in '09 with 26K miles, and the tires were already dangerous. Undrivable in rain, and unable to take any kind of accelerated take off on dry road without activating stability control.

JGarten
07-17-11, 09:21 PM
I recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (note the "Plus") which TireRack.com lists as an "Ultra High Performance All-Season" tire. I've had them on for 20-ish months. I love them. I'm one of the "rebels" that has the same (smaller) size tire on 17" staggered rims so I can rotate them (front to back at least). Superior A/S traction, ride, low noise and long wear.