: Coolent Fan on temp

drc3x
10-18-04, 09:01 PM
I have a 95 Eldo Y code with 93k miles on her and I have one simple question.
I would like to know what the temp is when the Eng coolent fan should turn on? :hmm: Thanks

Ranger
10-19-04, 10:30 AM
I have a 95 Eldo Y code with 93k miles on her and I have one simple question.
I would like to know what the temp is when the Eng coolent fan should turn on? :hmm: Thanks
I believe it comes on low speed at 225. High speed at about 230.

JimD
10-19-04, 10:48 AM
Just to confirm - here is what I have measured on my '98 which should be the same as, or very close to, your '95.

Engine idle, A/C off, no airflow over radiator - fans turned ON low speed at 220 F and cycled OFF at 214. I did not block the air flow to test the high speed fan operating point.

The fans are very quiet at low speed and I could not 'hear' them.

drc3x
10-20-04, 09:56 AM
Thanks, I wanted to see if I lost my Radiator do to Heat ( it spit on the back side where the Hot coolent enters) I have never seenit get over 220 and the fan never went on, I started to get a little nervs so I shut it down. I didnt want to toast the motor.

Rob Benham
10-21-04, 05:34 AM
Can someone tell me where the water over-temp sensor is? And indeed what its native resistance should be. As mentioned in an earlier post, I don't want to push the water up to the 220's just to test the system.

This was the SLS that had been hot-wired to keep the fans on with the ignition. When I changed the stat and repaired the wiring, all seemed ok except that I need to keep the A/.C on to be sure of engine cooling in slow traffic.

Temps here are still touching the hundreds so no problemo at the moment, but if it ever does cool down it would be nice to not have the two (yes both) huge fans running all the time.

I'm tempted to fit simple swithces, but with my aging brain cells I would still need a warninglight as a back-up.

JimD
10-21-04, 07:56 AM
Can someone tell me where the water over-temp sensor is? And indeed what its native resistance should be....

Temps here are still touching the hundreds so no problemo at the moment, but if it ever does cool down it would be nice to not have the two (yes both) huge fans running all the time....

In my '98, the engine coolant temp. (ECT) sensor is in the 1-3-5-7 bank almost straight down from the EGR valve. Thermistor with a two wire connector. Service Manual does not provide temp/resistance chart.

Again for '98, you get both fans or no fans. For LOW speed they are connected in series; for HI speed they both see 12 volts.