: electric power loss on full throttle?

Devil_concours
01-29-03, 01:51 AM
does your headlight output get affected on your cads under full throttle?
mine seems to get affected under sudden heavy acceleration.
Does that mean i need a new battery? or a new alternator?

Devil_concours
01-29-03, 10:45 AM
anyone have any suggestions or experiences with this problem?

playaman
01-29-03, 08:51 PM
Happens to me as well brother. I just replaced the battery on my 94 seville STS and it STILL does it. My guess is that a BIGGER battery would remedy the problem. However, nothing is wrong w/ your car, don't worry about it. :)

Devil_concours
01-29-03, 11:28 PM
but the problem is really noticeable. My headlight is prolly bright as my day time running lights under full throttle that is.

Dead Sled
01-29-03, 11:37 PM
I would sugest running your head lights though a relay that way you dont get the loss of juice from all the wires in the dash and the switch it self. you headlights will definently be brighter

peatea
01-30-03, 08:59 AM
Back in my drag racing days.....
Sometimes I would just watch the drags.
I would usually stand at the finish line.
Of course the drags were at night.
I could always tell when the race started because the headlights would get brighter.

I believe this is normal.

Pat

Devil_concours
01-30-03, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by peatea
I could always tell when the race started because the headlights would get brighter.

actually what i'm experiencing is total of opposite of your description

Dead Sled
01-30-03, 12:23 PM
the head lights "should' get brighter with more RPM. With engine off the lights should be getting only about 12 volts if that because off loss through switches and wires, but with engine running and alternator generating output your voltage should be almost 14 volts (assuming no loss through switches and wires).

so my sugestion for finding out whats really going on is get a hold of a digital Volt meter.

1. take the negitive probe and ground it than check your batt volts first

2. turn head lights on with engine off and back probe the socket to find the volts of both high beam an low beam.

3. do the same now with engine running

4. do step 4 with some one holding throttle at a higher RPM

this will give you accual numbers to go off of