: Deer oh deer!!!

barge master
10-18-04, 08:47 PM
After hearing about the vicious and unprovoked attack Dope Star's grille suffered at the hands of a Bambi on PCP, I got to thinking about how I'd hate to hit one on my motorcycle. To further escalate my concerns I turn on the evening news and hear these sobering facts:
The average yearly deer population in the tiny state of Connecticut is roughly 76,000.
Of these 76,000, 18,000 are killed in collisions with motor vehicles each year.
I know you see them all over the roadside, but that's like 1/4 of the population. That's a lot of grilles!!! :jawdrop:

Ralph
10-18-04, 08:57 PM
Wow! That a lot of deer. Don't people hunt them to help control the population? They had to extend the deer season a while back because they were overpopulating and people were hitting too many on the highway here.

I'd be too concerned driving a motorcycle, but I would be more concerned about people in large SUV's. ;)

Rolex
10-18-04, 09:54 PM
There's a mororcycle party here every year in Fayetville, AR called bikes, blues, and barbeque. Some guy was killed this year when he hit a deer on his bike. FYI Arkansas is one of the states where wearing a helmet in optional.

RBraczyk
10-18-04, 11:10 PM
What do you think bike week is like up in laconia? Imagine all the deer out there. I remember about 8 years ago they sent out a guy with a .22 and a night scope with silencer and killed 2/3 of the deer population on deer island. Yes, they are a problem here in New England.

Elvis
10-18-04, 11:18 PM
What do you think bike week is like up in laconia? Imagine all the deer out there. I remember about 8 years ago they sent out a guy with a .22 and a night scope with silencer and killed 2/3 of the deer population on deer island. Yes, they are a problem here in New England.

That's what I don't understand--if overpopulation is a problem, there are numerous ways that the government can thin out the population. They collect enough in fees and fines to pay a sniper to work a few nights.

I believe in responsible hunting and the second amendment, but the real issue with game wardens and hunting licenses is it's just another way that the government can tax us for doing something we used to do for free.

Ralph
10-18-04, 11:18 PM
More than a .22 should be used on a deer unless they wanted Bambi to feel pain. :rant2:

Elvis
10-18-04, 11:27 PM
Remember, Ralph, night vision scope, silencer, etc. I'll bet the guy was dropping them instantly with a hit between the eyes. A .22 magnum might be able to do it.

CadiJeff
10-18-04, 11:33 PM
mabe but only if the deer dosn't move and you are 20 yards away, hell we have problems w/ .22's killing ground hogs here in Ohio, are New England deer that week/small?

Ralph
10-18-04, 11:33 PM
Remember, Ralph, night vision scope, silencer, etc. I'll bet the guy was dropping them instantly with a hit between the eyes. A .22 magnum might be able to do it.

Well that's true. Even ancient Indians could kill deer with a crude bow and arrow. However, with a minor calibre like that you had better place your shot well because I've had .22's bounce of the heads of badgers and racoons and they run away injured, etc.

I'm not sure why the guy would need a silencer (VERY illegal here) if he was sent to a secluded area or island. In my hometown, they are having a severe crow problem so they hired a guy within city limits to go out at 6 in the morning and shoot as many as he can. The strange thig is, NO ONE has heard him fire a shot yet he has tags everyday!

Elvis
10-18-04, 11:44 PM
Well that's true. Even ancient Indians could kill deer with a crude bow and arrow. However, with a minor calibre like that you had better place your shot well because I've had .22's bounce of the heads of badgers and racoons and they run away injured, etc.

I messed up bad yesterday.

I was shooting golf balls with the .22, and discovered today that a couple ricocheted off the top of the ball and hit my beautiful PVC picket fence. I have a couple of holes now.

http://www.academyfence.com/images/pvc/contemporary/princeton_big.jpg

RBraczyk
10-18-04, 11:48 PM
I heard from several people about it. He worked nights, sniped them with centerfire cartriges, mostly head shots, and he hoofed em and piled them and then a dump truck came in and they were covered with a tarp. made short work of a lot of deer. He was state employed, so he could use a silencer. makes a pretty cool story. Some deer up here are strong, some weak. Saw one get up after being nailed by an 80's caprice classic. The ones to watch out for are moose.

Ralph
10-18-04, 11:55 PM
sniped them with centerfire cartriges

OK that's better. Probably a .223 or .22 Hornet, etc. MUCH more power than a .22 LR or Magnum.

You got a nice yard Elvis.

CadiJeff
10-19-04, 12:06 AM
my vote is on 22-250 a very popular round arond here

Elvis
10-19-04, 12:13 AM
OK that's better. Probably a .223 or .22 Hornet, etc. MUCH more power than a .22 LR or Magnum.

You got a nice yard Elvis.

That's not my yard, it's just a promo shot from the fence company. That's the style fence I bought.

DopeStar 156
10-19-04, 12:39 AM
After hearing about the vicious and unprovoked attack Dope Star's grille suffered at the hands of a Bambi on PCP, I got to thinking about how I'd hate to hit one on my motorcycle. To further escalate my concerns I turn on the evening news and hear these sobering facts:
The average yearly deer population in the tiny state of Connecticut is roughly 76,000.
Of these 76,000, 18,000 are killed in collisions with motor vehicles each year.
I know you see them all over the roadside, but that's like 1/4 of the population. That's a lot of grilles!!! :jawdrop:

:crying:

barge master
10-19-04, 04:47 AM
They have hunting season up here, but they say the population of deer is greater than in colonial times.They don't have any natural preadators left to kill them.The deer are full size and then some, not like Florida deer. A .22 would be ineffective. There is always a big argument any time the idea of thinning the heard is brought up. The deer can barely find enough to eat there's so many of them. I knew a guy who lived in the country, and lived on nothing but deer. He'd drive at night with a light, and do a drive-by on the deer, then come back later and remove the body. The game wardens were on to him though and if someone reported shots at night they knew who to suspect.

RBraczyk
10-19-04, 06:15 AM
It was a solid .22 nothing greater. This man was basically operating in a place where over a mile could be in someones living room. And one shot to the head would kill the size of the deer on deer island. Another thing to push the .22, the reason why they had to go in was the fact that the deer were running out of food, and were becoming weak and were in a sense suffering, so I guess the sniper with the .22 was their saviour.

Elvis
10-19-04, 10:40 AM
We have an island like that on the river in Memphis. Most of it is an industrial park, but there are a lot of woods and some homes over there. I think only bow hunting is allowed, and they have a deer population problem.

Every other year or so, a deer will get bored or horny and decide to swim across that little part of the river and go to Beale St. looking for some action. Imagine a 200-lb. buck roaming through downtown Memphis at rush hour.

RBraczyk
10-19-04, 11:32 AM
That could spell trouble.

Elvis
10-19-04, 02:13 PM
That could spell trouble.

Right here in River City?

WITH A CAPITAL "T" AND THAT RHYMES WITH "D" AND THAT STANDS FOR "DEER!"

:histeric:

There's another one you're probably not old enough to get.

Although I was impressed that you caught the Python.

Rolex
10-19-04, 05:33 PM
I believe in responsible hunting and the second amendment, but the real issue with game wardens and hunting licenses is it's just another way that the government can tax us for doing something we used to do for free.

This seems like it would be true, but proper wildlife management is the reason the deer population is as hearty as it is today. The statistics the AR Game and Fish Comission puts the deer population during the early 1900's is around 100,000 or so in the entire state. The poplulation of deer is now around 2,000,000 in AR. :eek:

Game and Fish regulates hunting seasons so they don't interfere with deer whelping their young. They also developed hunting zones and only allow certain size and/or number of deer to be harvested from those zones. It makes sense that if the number of mature deer harvested from zone X were low one year, they might shorten the modern gun season the following years to allow the population to bounce back. :thumbsup:

DopeStar 156
10-19-04, 06:27 PM
Right here in River City?

WITH A CAPITAL "T" AND THAT RHYMES WITH "D" AND THAT STANDS FOR "DEER!"

:histeric:

There's another one you're probably not old enough to get.

Although I was impressed that you caught the Python.
Haha I'm 18 and I get that. The Music Man right? "Capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Pool." I believe the quote was.

barge master
10-19-04, 07:54 PM
It's totally out of hand up in New England. There are more deer on less land than ever. Down in southern N.E. we have it even worse cause the mountain lions and what not are non-existent now. The only thing that trims the population are hunters, cars and starvation.

c5 rv
10-19-04, 08:20 PM
Car-deer accidents in Michigan in 2003:

11 fatalities
1,913 injuries
67,760 total accidents
1.75 million deer population.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/0410/01/c01-290443.htm

I wonder if I can get a brush guard for my CTS?