: Tire rub

kevm14
07-12-11, 05:36 PM
I got my new Conti ExtremeContact DW's on last week. I just got the stock size, 245/45-18.

They are not XL load like the RE960s that were previously on the car. Yet the sidewall is noticably proud of the rim, as if it is designed for protection. The RE960s seemed flush. I'm not super thrilled about the look, but I can get used to that. Herein lies the rub: well, the left front rubs.

On a slight right turn, with suspension compression, the left front contacts the wheel well seemingly at the outer tread area. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it because Conti just made this on the large external dimensions side of a 245/45-18? Will it wear in? My tie rods and ball joints appear to be in good health (I was just under the car 30 minutes ago). I'm worried it'll strain the plastic wheel well and eventually try to tear it out of the car. Thoughts?

Oh, and they pull to the left a bit. I swapped the R and L on the front, and I will go road test the car after I post this (I am cooling off...the sun is damn hot).

AAIIIC
07-12-11, 06:03 PM
Is the car lowered at all? I don't rub with 245/45-18s or 245/40-19s, even with the car lowered ~1" in the front.

EdmundGTP
07-12-11, 06:16 PM
You shouldn't rub at all with 245-45-18's unless the car is super-slammed.. Something is caddywompus..

kevm14
07-12-11, 06:27 PM
Not lowered. I think it's the tires. They stick out from the rim. The RE960s didn't rub at all. The side to side swap seemed to fix the pull so I'm gonna call tirerack and see what they have to say about that, and the rubbing.

lollygagger8
07-13-11, 11:51 AM
Wheel spacers?

kevm14
07-13-11, 07:58 PM
No spacers. I guess it's a combination of the new tires (old ones didn't do it) and the car.

EdmundGTP
07-13-11, 08:16 PM
I cant possibly fathom that there'd be that much difference between 2 different tires with the same size specification. Especially when people have ran upwards of 275 width tires on the stock rims with zero problems. Do you have any pictures of the tires and where exactly they're rubbing?

GDPossehl
07-13-11, 08:17 PM
A stock sized tire on a stock suspension car shouldn't even come close to rubbing. Something must be up. I'd check out that fender well first to make sure it's in place.

kevm14
07-23-11, 10:32 PM
Turns out I wasn't that satisfied with the DWs. I ordered the new Michelin PSS and I will send back the DWs to Tirerack next week. These tires are fantastic, and at only $50 more per tire than the DW, they are significantly cheaper than the PS2s, which they replace. Oh, and no pulling and, most pertinent to this thread, no RUBBING. The DW's just had some extra wide sidewall setup that my car didn't like.

rand49er
07-24-11, 06:54 AM
... the new Michelin PSS ...I was going to get the DWs until I read the test results from the Michelin PSSs. You've just given me confirmation on my decision to go with the Michelins. Glad it worked out for you. :thumbsup:

kevm14
07-24-11, 08:02 AM
I wrote a review of the DWs at Tirerack but the short of it is, they are quiet, they ride smooth. They even have decent grip. But they feel squishy. I finally threw them into a corner after I figured I had enough break-in miles and while they gripped, the entire car felt like it was yawing around the tires. Highly unsatisfying. They also felt much softer than the RE960s I pulled off the car.

The PSS's, by comparison, have this amazing, solid feel to them that I think goes with the car (or at least my FG2 shocks) much, MUCH better. They are firmer over bumps, but it actually feels right. The DWs rode soft enough that they made it feel like my shocks were actually softer.

At $247/ea (stock size), I think that these are actually a good value. The PS2s were not, imo. These are also the successor to the PS2, and are reported to be equal or superior. Smart move by Michelin as I've never owned a set of their tires before. Might not be my last. I missed them because they were too new to have a customer rating. Now I see they are sitting at the top at 9.3. I could have avoided this whole thing. I have to ship the Contis back to Tirerack. I also had to pay for mounting and balancing twice. Tirerack was gracious enough to waive the shipping on the PSS after I said I was unsatisfied with the DWs.

Oh, and for tires purchased since March or so (http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/MICH0311.pdf), they offer this as part of the warranty:

Flat Tire Changing Assistance for 3 years:
MICHELIN tires are designed with robust construction to resist punctures,
but there are still some things that may cause your tire to lose air. We hope
you never experience a flat tire with your new MICHELIN tires, but if you
do, the Michelin Promise Plan is ready to help. In the event of a flat tire,
simply call the toll-free number listed below (also provided on the tear-out
wallet card), and a qualified service professional will replace your flat tire
with your inflated spare. If an inflated spare is not available, towing will
be provided at no cost (up to 150 miles) to the nearest approved Michelin
dealer of your choice. Flat Tire Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365
days a year in the U.S. and Canada.

What a great option for all of us who have ditched the run flats with no spare (my car came this way)! They don't pay for the flat repair itself, but that's very cheap or even free at many shops. The 150 mile tow 24-hours a day is worth a chunk of change. Even my AAA Plus won't do more than 100.

thebigjimsho
07-26-11, 03:17 PM
I loved every set of PS2s I had. I hope the PSS comes out later this year for the V2...