: Montana - Canada - Banff - Non-oxy (no ethanol) Fuel?

69Chateau
07-12-11, 03:39 PM
I'm moonlighting with the idea of towing my car to Montana next summer and then driving it from Missoula, MT up through Glacier National Park (US) to Banff (CA) and then back down. Stretch it out to close to 2 week vacation. My wife and I had our honeymoon in Banff and she would like to go back to celebrate our 10 yr anniversary. Rather than fly there, perhaps drive the Caddy and turn the trip into more of a traveling adventure.

Can anyone help me determine the best place to locate non-oxygenated fuel in Canada? If I get serious about the trip, I'm sure I'll call each place along my route and determine firsthand if they have premium non-oxygenated fuel, but was curious if anyone on this board can share anything about their experiences with availability of this fuel type in Canada and/or their experiences driving a collector car through the following areas:

Montana: Missoula - Seeley Lake - Columbia Falls - Going to the Sun Road - St. Mary

Canada: Hwy BC-93 (Kootenay Hwy/Banff Windermere Pkwy) - Cranbrook/Ft. Steele - Radium Hot Springs - Banff

I see a lot of 'Esso' fuel stations in Canada. Do they have premium non-oxy fuel?

jayoldschool
07-12-11, 03:57 PM
Do you mean ethanol? In Ontario, most places don't put ethanol in their high test (usually 91, sometimes 93). 87 is 10% ethanol, 89 is just 87 mixed with 91. I use 87 in my stock Caprice LT1 wagon, and 91 or 93 in everything else (65 327, 81 6.0 Cad, 71 350, 95 LT1 tuned).

creeker
07-12-11, 04:07 PM
I have driven my 80 cdv. to Alberta a few years back, I have always used 87 octane and haven't had any problems, I wasn't aware there was non-oxy. fuel, I always deal with esso, contact esso/canada., the drive through Banff and surrounding area is spectacular, enjoy your self.

69Chateau
07-12-11, 05:15 PM
Yeah, "No ethanol" fuel... We call pure gas with no ethanol in it "non-oxygenated" around here.

outsider
07-12-11, 05:18 PM
I just run 87 in all my cars but they're all stock...this includes my 69 calais. It runs just fine on 87

ThumperPup
07-12-11, 05:36 PM
here give this a try i use this when im on the road and want E-Free fuels

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

how ever in the summer months a few of the places that i use from there switch over to racing fuel in the E-Free pumps because they have more trouble picking E-Free up and more ppl want the racing fuel in the summer

so call ahead

69Chateau
07-12-11, 05:41 PM
You're supposed to run high octane fuel in the 472 due to its higher compression ratio.... unless your 69 has modifications (different engine, rebuilt engine, HEI, etc) so that it can handle lower octane fuel?

Anyway, back to the thread topic which is about finding non-ethanol fuel... Which is important for a whole other set of reasons...