: ANYONE RUNNING THE POTENZA RE 11 IN PLACE OF MICHELIN PS2s ?

newcadman
07-12-11, 02:14 PM
With only a few thousand miles left on the original Michelin PS2 tires would be interested in knowing if anyone has switched to the Potenza RE 11 tire ( stock size) and in so doing what differences were noticed, if any ?

At the Tire Rack, the RE11's go for $323 as opposed to $ 509 for the PS2.

Domsz06
07-12-11, 02:33 PM
yeah a few are.

There was a thread on here about em.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/229596-best-price-bridgestone-re-11s.html

keithsm2
07-12-11, 02:55 PM
although not much experience with either tire.....looks like the bridgestones are quite a bit softer...so even though they are cheaper....wont they just wear out faster??

Domsz06
07-12-11, 03:37 PM
although not much experience with either tire.....looks like the bridgestones are quite a bit softer...so even though they are cheaper....wont they just wear out faster??

If they are softer yes they will wear out faster. I'd love to hear how many miles someone got out of them, I realize it's subject to driving habits, but I wonder if people will even get 5k out of them....

serturbo
07-12-11, 03:39 PM

That may not be true if your justification is based on the tread wear number. 220 for one manufacturer is not the same as 220 from another.

keithsm2
07-12-11, 04:22 PM
ya....i have heard 220 for one is not same as 220 for another......but at this point....its all we have to go on.....I think the 180 is bridgestones number? thats got to be soft in anybook..... i hope mileage is similar thought....need a cheaper option

cbloveday
07-12-11, 05:02 PM
I think GNXS and Razorecko have had them on for the longest period. It may be beneficial to pm one of them.

newcadman
07-12-11, 05:20 PM
I think GNXS and Razorecko have had them on for the longest period. It may be beneficial to pm one of them.

Thanks Curtis. Good thought, will do.

gnxs
07-12-11, 06:13 PM
I think both myself and Razorecko still have good things to say about them. Even though we don't have them in the factory size, they are everything I expected. I'd have to go back to my records and see at what mileage I put them on, but I'd imagine I have in excess of 15,000 miles on mine and they show no signs of being anywhere close to shot. If I get a chance, I'll get a mileage and tread depth reading on mine for you.

KevinR70
07-13-11, 09:26 AM
I replaced my PS2's with RE-11's (265/35/19 fronts and 305/30/19 rears) last week. I bought the car with 12k miles on the original PS2's and the rears
were almost gone on the outside tread. I drove another 5k before making the switch last week. The biggest thing I noticed was the better grip on take off. Never had the PS2's new since I bought car used so I can't do a fair comparison, but the RE-11's hook up much better in 1st and 2nd gear than my 12k PS2's did when I first bought the car. I'm very happy with them. I like the look of the larger 305's in the rear. Icing on the cake is I saved about $500 over a set of new PS2's.

Domsz06
07-13-11, 09:31 AM
awesome to hear if you guys are getting 10-15k on them. Better traction too, it's a win win :D Maybe I need to go burn the ps2's off lol :D

M5eater
07-13-11, 09:52 AM
I think both myself and Razorecko still have good things to say about them. Even though we don't have them in the factory size, they are everything I expected. I'd have to go back to my records and see at what mileage I put them on, but I'd imagine I have in excess of 15,000 miles on mine and they show no signs of being anywhere close to shot. If I get a chance, I'll get a mileage and tread depth reading on mine for you.

that doesn't surprise me, my 050a's(140 tread ratting) had 23K on them when I sold the G8 with at least half of the tread left. It's like anything else on a car, don't abuse them and they'll last.

Teutonaddict
07-13-11, 09:59 AM
I replaced my PS2's with RE-11's (265/35/19 fronts and 305/30/19 rears) last week.

Note to OP, the RE11's are not available in a matched set of factory sizes, so most of us have gone with the sizes above (so rolling circumference is the same front-to-back, albeit 0.7" smaller diameter than factory). IIRC, I heard from one of the higher mileage RE11 users that they are wearing quite well, so don't get caught in the trap of comparing treadwear ratings.

One point to note--these wider tires with heavier (than PS2) sidewalls were a bear to install. It took a pretty competent crew quite a few tries to mount 'em up and get the bead to seal. That being said, once on my factory wheels, they've been superb.

Final note: I plan to switch back to the pilot super sports once they're available in stock fitments. The performance envelope on those is supposed to offer much better treadwear (than PS2's) along with better handling and grip characteristics, at the same relative pricing as the original PS2's. If user feedback matches up with Michelin marketing, then I'll gladly pay a little more for better performance.

newcadman
07-13-11, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the good info and for making the decision an easy one.

baabootoo
07-14-11, 01:47 AM
So what's the decision then???????? :)

cbloveday
07-14-11, 02:28 AM
I'll be in the market for a new set of tires come spring. Re-11s are on my list. Limping by on the PS2s til the sottos go on.

EVIL_C5
07-14-11, 07:00 AM
Re11's or conti dws's are the 2 I have narrowed down and with the wear talk in this thread I thing the re's will be my choice.

thebigjimsho
07-14-11, 10:15 AM
I would NOT go with DWS as replacements for summer tires. For the winter? Sure...

EVIL_C5
07-14-11, 10:50 AM
my misunderstanding, the DW's

LV_V
07-14-11, 08:08 PM
Why are the 265-35-19's not listed on Bridgestone's website?