: Hello from Notre Dame territory

ColK
07-12-11, 01:19 AM
Indiana, not France. :)

I found this forum while doing a parts search for our '79 Coupe DeVille. (Opera lights! Wait, posted years ago?? Rats!)

My father-in-law was the original owner and when he passed away late in 2009, the car passed on to us. Well, technically my wife. She let my stepdaughter's husband use it to get to school(Against my advice), the starter died last fall and it sat until we had some money to spare to replace it.

Well, it was returned last week and it's not in quite as good a shape as it was so I'll be doing some work on it now and again. They let it sit under a tree through the remainder of the fall until it was brought back. My FIL was "frugal" and had a cheap paint job done with no topcoat seven years ago so the paint on the hood, roof and rear deck leave something to be desired. The left rear quarter extension was already shot and when it was brought back, the right was gone as well, the right headlight and marker bezels were also broken. I really didn't have much of a reaction at first but the next day, the more I looked at it, the more ticked off I became. My neighbor pulled up while I was washing the dirt and grime off and asked me what happened to it and he got to hear me :mad2: . The rant and getting it cleaned up helped get the ire out of my system. I apologized to him the next day for cursing in public. He just laughed and said he didn't know I used language like that. :D

I'm pretty much a resto novice outside of replacing parts here and there so it will be interesting. So far I've ordered replacement rear quarter extensions, new covers for the sail lights, a new bezel for the right headlight, replaced the dimmer switch, sanded off most of the surface rust, primed it and just sprayed some Rustoleum over it. I figure anything is better than rust and rust stains. I also found a set of period OEM wire hubcaps on eBay that are in pretty dang good shape for $70 shipped.

Anyway, I can't claim to be a "Cadillac guy" but I've always liked the Caddies from the 60s/70s, am glad to have it and I'm sure it will be fun working on it now and then. I probably won't be a frequent flyer here like some of the posters but I hope to be able to pick up some tips here and there.

orconn
07-13-11, 12:07 AM
Welcome to the Forums! There are many here that are familiar with the seventies vintage Cadillacs and I am sure will have many insights into getting yours in shape as you begin your project.

ColK
07-13-11, 12:29 AM
Thank you for the welcome, orconn. She really isn't in bad shape, just needs a little affection. Thankfully, outside of the quarter extensions the only major body part issue are the bumper fillers. Well, paint of course but that's a whole other can of worms.