: 1979 DeVille Power Seat problem

cookieeater
07-12-11, 12:03 AM
Hello All,
I just bought a 79 Sedan DeVille in excellent condition, all original including the bright red paint, Florida car all its life and garage kept. Anyway the power bench seat does not move, the motor turns but no movement. I checked it out and yes the transmission (plastic) is broken. My question is will any motor/trans from a earlier car work or do I need one from a 79-88? And if someone out there has one I would be interested in buying it. Thanks in advance, Kim

cadillac kevin
07-12-11, 12:08 AM
you need a 6 way power seat frame from a 79-89 (give or take a couple years) fleetwood (rwd), deville (rwd), olds 98, olds 88, electra, lesabre, caprice, bonneville, or catalina/ parisienne. buy the entire seat frame mechanism and swap the entire thing out. should cost you $10-$20 at a you-pull-it yard. fwd power seats will not work (floor bolt locations are different)

cookieeater
07-12-11, 12:59 PM
Kevin,
Thanks so much, I see you are from St. Louis, I was born in nE. St. Louis and grew up in Dupo, Ill , Joined the Navy and returned to Highland, IL then to Maine and now semi retired in Orlando. Anyway, will a motor/trans from a split seat work, or should I just find the bench frame like you said and just replace the whole frame? Thanks again, Kim Will post pictures soon. Need to sell my 96 Fleetwood Brougham first. on Ebay right now LOL

cadillac kevin
07-13-11, 12:47 AM
I guess you could just get the motor mechanism for the seat, but I would just get the drivers side seat frame and be done with it. some research shows that the power mechanisms actually changed after 1986 to a better (more reliable?) design. so if you want to just change the motor you will need one from '79-'86 (unsure of '77 and '78 design) if you want to change the whole seat frame (base) I'd grab a newer one from 87 onward (since chances are it is in better shape).
Personally I'd change the whole frame since IMO it would not be worth it (time wise) to disassemble a seat frame in the yard for the parts you need, buy said part for only a couple bucks less than the whole frame, take it home, disassemble your frame, and install the parts. just swap the frames and be done with it. as long as the other frame is from a rwd full size sedan (or coupe) with the 6 way power seat frames it will work.
the frame you want will look pretty like this. there should be a giant plug on it in the middle (not seeing it in this pic) for power for the different motors.
http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/attachments/buick-v6-turbo-tech/28064d1190159828-upgrading-power-seat-motors-86-seat-adjuster.jpg

cookieeater
07-13-11, 08:43 AM
Kevin,
Again, Thanks. My problem is I have full bench seat, (non-split). That might be a bit harder to find as most cars have the dual seats. So I need to find a 6 way power bench car. Kim

cadillac kevin
07-13-11, 09:26 AM
oh. that will be hard to find. I was thinking you had a split bench.
I know pontiacs had power benches (in the parisienne I think) but I dont know what other cars came with the split bench. maybe caprice?
your best bet might be to fix the motor on the frame you have unless a suitable replacement frame can be found.

electricpuppyboy
07-15-11, 08:37 AM
My power seat does not work either. Good to know that I have a couple options for a replacement. And FYI, I had a 1979 Caprice Estate that had the power bench.

deVille33
07-15-11, 10:58 PM
The transmissions used in 1977 and '78 were die cast bodied. You may be able to change out the complete mounting plates with the motor and transmission as a unit.

Benzilla
12-06-12, 12:28 AM
So, would the 1987-92 motors be the same? Would you be able to use a '87 frame under an older seat without modifying any wire harnesses / etc, or how does that work?

Related question, the power seats in my '90 Brougham are much quieter than the power seats in my '79 Deville. Is this just due to age, or would there have been a difference between the two when the cars were both new? I was wondering if the '87 revision changed that or what.

cadillac kevin
12-06-12, 12:48 AM
So, would the 1987-92 motors be the same? Would you be able to use a '87 frame under an older seat without modifying any wire harnesses / etc, or how does that work?

Related question, the power seats in my '90 Brougham are much quieter than the power seats in my '79 Deville. Is this just due to age, or would there have been a difference between the two when the cars were both new? I was wondering if the '87 revision changed that or what.

You can use a 91 frame in an 86 (I tested a 91 seat frame in my 86 prior to shipping it out to another member). The main part of the revisions seemed to be switching the wires around in the harness (match the colors and it will work as designed)

Bro-Ham
12-06-12, 12:21 PM
...Related question, the power seats in my '90 Brougham are much quieter than the power seats in my '79 Deville. Is this just due to age, or would there have been a difference between the two when the cars were both new? I was wondering if the '87 revision changed that or what.

The power seats in Cadillacs were improved and more quiet starting around 1981. My previous 81 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe had the quiet power seats while every 70's GM car I have ever owned, including my current 79 deVille, has the old school power seats with the pronounced motorized sound. :)

Benzilla
12-06-12, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info! This makes it much easier to go treasure hunting now.

drmenard
12-09-12, 11:50 PM
I will say this... I took seats out of a 90fwb and put them in my 81 deville.. The tracks bolted in but the wires are different plugs . . I had to use the old tracks on the 90 seats..

Benzilla
12-11-12, 03:12 AM
Were the wires color-coded in a way that you could have spliced the connectors on the new seat frames?