Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Replaced Starter, Now PASS KEY FAULT on

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  CadillacPimpinNOLA 
#1 ·
My 1 year old starter gave out yesterday. I had to tow the Caddy home:( It was actually the solenoid. It's a Napa Starter, and I have heard recently that they don't seem to last long at all. Anyways after replacing the bad with a new, the car still didn't start, but I found out that the black wire that connects to the battery directly to the starter has part of it's insulation open where it exposed the wires. The wires was touching the edge of the battery tray, grounding out.

Can this grounding out cause a short in the starter solenoid? And also damage the VATS system? I saw a spark coming from starter wire that's why.

Anyways after I put a rag underneath the exposed wire to prevent it from touching the battery tray, the car finally turned over. I plan on replacing the wire tomorrow.

Now the PASS KEY FAULT light is on the dash.

Is there anyway to fix this? If so how much will it cost?

Thanks guys

#5 · (Edited)
Another possibility is a failing wire inside of ignition lock cylinder. There are tiny wires inside ignition lock cylinder which move every time you turn the key. They break down gradually and cause intermittent no start condition and eventually break completely and leave you stranded. Bypassing is easy, just measure the resistance of the chip in your key and buy a matching (close enough) 0.25 W resistor (or resistors) from RadioShack.

#8 ·
Ok I finally replaced the starter cable. I had to get a spacer for the battery terminal , because the cable wouldn't fit at all with the regular connector on it. So far so good, I haven't had any kind of problems. The car starts fine, and the pass key fault light has been off. But I do have a code of "143" under the -01. I can't figure out what it is. I looked in the manual but it doesn't state anything in that number range.

Also does anyone know how to remove the rubber insulator on the battery cables? I still need to remove the old starter cable, but I don't want to rip or tear anything up.

Thanks

#11 ·
Bad news, I am having problems again. Twice this week my car wouldn't start, and the pass key fault light came on and stayed on for at least a minute or 2. But once the light turned off, the car turned over and I was able to drive off. Is this ignition lock cylinder going bad now? Or ignition switch?

If so, I want to replace it, but the obvious issue is accessing the lock cylinder and getting a new key programmed for it to work. How do I go about this repair? And how much will it cost?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks again peoples.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.