: Blackstone on First OCI

M5eater
07-11-11, 08:39 PM
Incase anyone was wondering what one looks like.

The question they were answering was that I did not see a specificed first OCI, so I went off a basic 1500mile schedule (I know it says 1302.. I was eager to be naughty)

EricVonHa
07-11-11, 11:31 PM
Let's stay in touch. I'm on the Blackstone plan and am about to send off my 1st sample.

baabootoo
07-11-11, 11:54 PM
So to heck with the oil life monitor altogether, or just for the first time?

cbloveday
07-12-11, 12:22 AM
Nice report.
I have 6 blackstone containers but have been too lazy to send in a sample. I need to get off my duff and do it.
Was there any special way that you siphoned the oil, or did you obtain a sample when you changed the oil?

The siphoning pump that I purchased came with an icemaker type hose. I was unable to get in down the dipstick far enough. I should probably get a smaller OD tube and see if that work. Or I could get a sample when I change oil, being careful not to contaminate the sample.

Thanks for showing the report. It looks great.

M5eater
07-12-11, 06:14 AM
So to heck with the oil life monitor altogether, or just for the first time?

I think after another OCI or two I may use it as a guide, but I do not believe I'll take it to 0%. The samples I've seen on 0% OLM indicate that the oil is definitally ''used up'' by then, but averages are usually higher than I'd like.

Was there any special way that you siphoned the oil, or did you obtain a sample when you changed the oil?
no special way, I just plain drained it.

The siphoning pump that I purchased came with an icemaker type hose. I was unable to get in down the dipstick far enough. I should probably get a smaller OD tube and see if that work. Or I could get a sample when I change oil, being careful not to contaminate the sample.

the trick is not getting the crud on the bottom and getting the good stuff in the middle.

cbloveday
07-12-11, 08:15 AM
I see. Will do at the next oil change.

dcc8203
07-12-11, 08:25 AM
I used this service on all my oil changes in my GXP. I had coupons for free Mobil 1 oil changes from Pontiac, so had the dealer gather the samples for me. Just always made sure to drive the car a bit and warm up the oil per their instructions. The reports were able to back up extending the oil change interval with quantitative data. Although I think they charge extra for that information which looks for the amount of additives remaining in the oil...or something like that.

cruiser68
07-12-11, 11:05 AM
I'm a huge fan of Blackstone labs. I use them to determine my oil change interval and to predict any potential problems before they hit. On my 08 Yukon Denali, I would get to about 7500 miles and it was done. Still at 25% on the oil life so I stopped using that. I found everything held up really well except for TBN (additive package left). Once that gets low, IMO the oil is close to toast. This was using Amsoil and Mobil 1. The Amsoil held up a bit better than the mobil 1.

Skipped my first test on my V. Just changed it at 1500K. Definitely plan on using blackstone for my first 5 or so after the initial drain. I used Mobil 1 for my first change. Not sure what I plan on using for oil moving forward. Dexos 2 limits the options. Perhaps Penzoil Platinum. I have heard good things about it.

M5eater
07-12-11, 11:06 AM
$25 for the analysis $10 for the tbn additive test

C66 Racing
07-17-11, 09:25 AM
I am both a believer in an early fluid change... and the OLM. In my 06 CTS-V, I changed the oil at 25% remaining on the OLM for four oil changes (one Mobil 1 and then three AMSOIL 0w30) and saw what I would call fairly consistent results indicating that this was a safe mark for with to change the oil. Note though that for my driving conditions which were very short daily commutes, my OLM counted down very rapidly and I got to 25% at about your historical 3k mile point. Conversely, in my 03 Trailblazer which mostly sees highway miles, the OLM counts down to indicate an oil change at about 7-10k miles and used oil analysis in this vehicle indicate that is okay as well. Also worth noting that I bought my V as a dealer car with about 7k miles on it so in my case the decision on when to do the first oil change was mute. On my Vette which I did buy new, I changed all the fluids for the first time at about 800 miles.
Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/CTS-V%20AMSOIL%20UOA.htm)
:cheers: