: Can you get S.I.R air bag and restrain equipment new without going threw the dealer

ThumperPup
07-11-11, 08:31 PM
Just wondering someone ones told me that there where like 2 company's that made the air bags and the equipment and the auto manufactures would get them from those company's anyone know is this true
or does each Car Company make there own

also if it is true
does anyone know if there is a way to get the proper equipment NEW without going threw the Dealer ?
maybe a wholesaler that would sell to the public ?

Submariner409
07-11-11, 08:45 PM
Do you need new air bags ? (Codes or warning lights on ?)

ThumperPup
07-11-11, 09:03 PM
no not airbag's but the SDM unit is what im afread is bad and i read that i cant get a used one unless i have somewhere that can reset the unit
iv seen them on Ebay reset for like 49.99 but not sure i want to trust a used unit either thats why im thinking new or remaned but not a used reset one
and im just trying to price things out i know that if i get it new from the dealer if the one im going to will put in my own part i can get it from Chris for 406 i think new from the dealer that is going to put it in is going to charge me MSRP of 460 but i don't know if they will put my own part in
but right now i barley have 406 to spend i put way to much out on my last trip and it was 200 more then i was planing on spending so i know if i go to the dealer parts and labor will probably be around 650-700 after taxes and from what i can tell just from my own snooping around the SDM unit is bad and thats also what im finding in some other things im reading like the

http://sm.gpona.com:9001/si/home.do

from what i read there when i look under the S.I.R area its saying my SDM is most likly the problem so im just planing ahead for worst case if it is

ThumperPup
07-12-11, 06:03 PM
just got a phone call dad called a friend when he found out my air bag light was on and i was having trouble and all his friend owns a body shop in SC used to have one up here in Ohio
hooked me onto another guy who he used all the time call Air Bag Services
they order parts directly from the Manufatrers and all they do is air bag work nothing els
they can also rebuild and reset SDM's on the spot and program them so now im doing the happy dance they are comming tomorrow yayyyyyyyyyyy

orconn
07-12-11, 07:14 PM
just got a phone call dad called a friend when he found out my air bag light was on and i was having trouble and all his friend owns a body shop in SC used to have one up here in Ohio
hooked me onto another guy who he used all the time call Air Bag Services
they order parts directly from the Manufatrers and all they do is air bag work nothing els
they can also rebuild and reset SDM's on the spot and program them so now im doing the happy dance they are comming tomorrow yayyyyyyyyyyy

That's good to know about services like this, thank you for letting us know about these companies.

ThumperPup
07-12-11, 07:24 PM
http://www.airbagservice.com/default.aspx

ThumperPup
07-13-11, 03:36 PM
they jsut came out and confirmed its the SDM that is bad
guy didn't charge me anything for comming out since he knew me dads friend and did business with him
so gave me a price wich yeah i think its high but thats just cause im cheap but its still a hell of a lot cheaper then the dealer would have charged
so im happy

500.80 dollars after taxes
said its 136.00 in labor and hes geting me a brand new unit for like
364.00 dollars the dealer wanted 460 and change
chris was going to get me a really good deal for 406 i think
but just wanted to give yall a heads up incase you ever needed to get this or do air bag work they do all the air bag serivces moduals sensors wires electrical and parts
so just thought it give you the heads up to anyone
link in post above to there company