: Replacing Analog Dash with a Digitial One

KrisK
07-11-11, 05:55 PM
Is it possible to swap an Analog Dash for a Digital one?

carnut
07-12-11, 11:00 AM
Yes. Assuming you are referring to an Allante, not a Seville as listed in your profile. The clusters simply plug in but they each require their specific surround bezel. There were changes made over the years to the clusters so an 88 digital will not work in a 92 for instance. When I had my 88, I would swap clusters every once in a while just to make the car different that month. The body computer holds the correct odometer mileage in hard memory so swapping in a digital will display the specific car's mileage. I preferred the analog because you gain a volt meter.

KrisK
07-12-11, 02:50 PM
That's great and yes I was referring to an Allante. I just pulled the trigger on a beautiful Polo Green 93 and I love it other than the Analog Dash, I really wanted the digital one. Now that I know that I can just swap it out I'm pretty happy.

It has tan interior and a black top, I really want to change the top to tan. I wonder if I can just get the top dyed instead of replacing it.

carnut
07-12-11, 10:12 PM
The digital dash on a 93 is, I believe, a one year only cluster. Try www.allantesource.com for a exact answer.

KrisK
07-05-12, 08:57 PM
I just purchased a 93 specific digital dash to replace my analog dash. The problem is now I need a digital dash specific surround bezel. My question is can I use one from any year or does the surround bezel have to be 93 specific like the cluster itself?

carnut
07-05-12, 09:14 PM
I think the surround is digital specific from any year Allante. Be aware that the analog odometer used a electric stepper motor to advance the mileage, the digital cluster reads the odometer from the body computer. You might notice a difference in whats displayed after the swap. When and if you swap back at a later date, the odometer will not be accurate, it will still show odometer mileage from when you did the swap to digital.

KrisK
07-05-12, 09:20 PM
I think the surround is digital specific from any year Allante. Be aware that the analog odometer used a electric stepper motor to advance the mileage, the digital cluster reads the odometer from the body computer. You might notice a difference in whats displayed after the swap. When and if you swap back at a later date, the odometer will not be accurate, it will still show odometer mileage from when you did the swap to digital.

Is there a way to adjust the mileage on the analog odometer if I decide to switch back?

carnut
07-06-12, 12:34 PM
Sure, just take it to a speedo repair shop and have them set it for a nominal fee!