: 10 PM's? That's it?

smackdownCTSV
07-11-11, 05:44 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llavvrkvLE1qbu7b1o1_500.gif

Rolex
07-11-11, 06:18 PM
Become a supporting member and all your problems will be solved. :)

Stingroo
07-11-11, 06:38 PM
110,000 members times 10 PMs is quite a lot of data.

Really.

smackdownCTSV
07-11-11, 06:39 PM
You guys are hungry for money!
Too many ads? Become a supporting member
Site slow? Become a supporting member
Change name? Become a supporting member
More than 10 PM's? Become a supporting member

Stingroo
07-11-11, 06:45 PM
Such is life on an automotive forum run by an independent guy in his house in Florida.

JimmyH
07-11-11, 08:17 PM
More than 10 PM's? Become a supporting member

don't like? don't logon.

(although, 10 pm's is a little light Sal)

JimmyH
07-11-11, 08:19 PM
110,000 members times 10 PMs is quite a lot of data.

Really.

I think the limit is more to inhibit private messaging. This is a public forum after all, and the idea is for information to be shared publicly. We may not allow as much inbox space, but we allow alot more off-topic bantering than other auto forums.

thebigjimsho
07-11-11, 09:36 PM
More than 10 PM's? Become a supporting memberYou complain about all these questions. Yet even you admit there is but one answer.

smackdownCTSV
07-11-11, 11:04 PM
don't like? don't logon.

(although, 10 pm's is a little light Sal)

That attitude is the reason why the forum is the way it is now. I lurked when I was looking at the 1st Gen CTS-V, but went elsewhere. I only because a member because I was referred. Haven't seen him post in a while. I wonder why?
This isn't my first forum. Probably like the 10th. I'll admit, all of them had problems. But! Big but here! 4 issues? I can deal with 1 or 2, but 4? I killed the ads, so that's fine now. Just bump up the PMs so I don't have to delete messages right after I get them. Or have them get bounced back.

I think the limit is more to inhibit private messaging. This is a public forum after all, and the idea is for information to be shared publicly. We may not allow as much inbox space, but we allow alot more off-topic bantering than other auto forums.

That's all well and great. But having a one-on-one on a public forum is considered spam. And PM's are meant to be private too. But good to know off topic banter is encouraged here.

You complain about all these questions. Yet even you admit there is but one answer.

It was meant to be facetious.

JimmyH
07-11-11, 11:35 PM
I have recently been to corvetteforums and moderncamaro. They have a line out the door of vendors to pay the costs, and I have still seen slow page loads. It's called high traffic. It happens to every website.

And when everyone starts using adblock, this site gets blacklisted from network ads, then there is even less income to pay the bills, and this website goes to hell. Or it gets sold to internet brands which is the same thing.

Stingroo
07-12-11, 08:29 AM
I used to write for Internet Brands, then I learned how shitty they really were.

Bleh.

Lord Cadillac
07-12-11, 11:39 AM
I killed the ads, so that's fine now.

As a last ditch effort before I sell this community, I may charge a small fee for every member. This way I won't have to worry about people blocking the ads. For these members, there will still be one or two network ads - leaving the ability to upgrade for those who wish to support the community in a more meaningful way. Unfortunately, it's costing more and more to maintain this site and the network ads, which are entirely necessary, are earning less and less - probably because so many people are blocking them.

I have two emails from different companies asking to purchase this site in the last week that I haven't even opened yet. I've had almost 10 requests so far this year. I like this hobby, but it's not absolutely necessary. It seems fewer and fewer people are understanding what it takes to operate these sites. In time, I will hand the burden onto somebody else...

Besides all this, I feel most sites as busy as this should not be held accountable to one person. It may be in the best interests of the site and community to be owned and operated by either a wealthy individual or company with an attorney on retainer.

Stingroo
07-12-11, 12:42 PM
Imagine Sal, all the party time you'd have....

Lord Cadillac
07-12-11, 12:53 PM
That would be very dangerous. :o

Imagine Sal, all the party time you'd have....

Stingroo
07-12-11, 01:13 PM
Exactly. So for the good of your body, soul, and liver - you can't sell CF.

:lol:

RippyPartsDept
07-12-11, 01:43 PM
As a last ditch effort before I sell this community, I may charge a small fee for every member. This way I won't have to worry about people blocking the ads. For these members, there will still be one or two network ads - leaving the ability to upgrade for those who wish to support the community in a more meaningful way. Unfortunately, it's costing more and more to maintain this site and the network ads, which are entirely necessary, are earning less and less - probably because so many people are blocking them.

It might cut down on the overall activity here, but i think it would foster a better community where everyone feels like they have some 'skin in the game'
$2/month or whatever it would eventually be seems like a great idea to me

Lord Cadillac
07-12-11, 03:17 PM
It would definitely cut down on activity but it may work in the end. And, yes - $1 or $2 per month would be it.. It would CERTAINLY stop spammers as they would be held 100% accountable/liable for their posts. So our spam blockers could be turned off - which would speed up page loading. If it worked out, we'd be able to reduce the amount of ads.

In any event, I only plan on crossing that bridge if I absolutely must.

It might cut down on the overall activity here, but i think it would foster a better community where everyone feels like they have some 'skin in the game'
$2/month or whatever it would eventually be seems like a great idea to me

ThumperPup
07-12-11, 06:27 PM
i think thats a great idea i know 2 dollars a month i would pay no problem heck i been paying 5 a month for the last 3 or 4 months reminds me i got to go count my pennies and make a deposit in the bank to pay this months Membership

but seriously ppl if you don't like it then you don't have to stay
but its sall who puts his time and money and efort into keeping this up and running and if someone wants to come complain about the add pop up sand all well think about it nothing in life is free
why should this be free
we are lucky that we can use it for free and there are the ones who help suport the forrums so it can run

JimmyH
07-12-11, 09:24 PM
That would be very dangerous. :o

I can confirm the validity of this post.

JimmyH
07-12-11, 09:27 PM
And don't sell Sal!!!! All those forums run by conglomerates are like going to a party where no one is allowed to drink. Or talk loud. Or tell stories. Or give opinions. Or take them. Or discuss anything off-topic. Or discuss anything off-color. Or discuss just about anything at all except all the crap that has already been discussed ad nauseum.

Lord Cadillac
07-12-11, 09:33 PM
I hear ya, Jimmy.. The sad thing is - if and when one or two companies own all the big automotive forums online - which is not far fetched AT ALL - they could potentially be sold to the manufacturers.

JimmyH
07-12-11, 09:45 PM
I don't see that as a problem. When the manufacturers get a hold of these websites, it will certainly squeeze out all the Sal C.'s out there. But it won't last long. I don't think we will accept the oppression of information for very long. Smaller forums will go on the rise. I think alot of smaller forums are gaining traction right now because people are tired of all the rules. My local Camaro club uses a vbulletin website, and it really has turned into an automotive discussion forum all its own. Because sites like camaro5, camaroz28 and moderncamaro are cess-pools.

I may be biased, but cadillacforums is one of the last great auto forums out there. Most have turned into autonomous wiki sites. Where discussions are either allowed to run out of control until they are deleted, or over-censored from the get-go.

Ranger
07-12-11, 10:37 PM
I would hate to see this site sold, but if it happens I'll have a lot more free time on my hands. I doubt that I would go with it.

thebigjimsho
07-13-11, 06:42 AM
Then maybe I could catch your poast count...

Lord Cadillac
07-13-11, 11:02 AM
I don't see that as a problem. When the manufacturers get a hold of these websites, it will certainly squeeze out all the Sal C.'s out there. But it won't last long. I don't think we will accept the oppression of information for very long. Smaller forums will go on the rise. I think alot of smaller forums are gaining traction right now because people are tired of all the rules. My local Camaro club uses a vbulletin website, and it really has turned into an automotive discussion forum all its own. Because sites like camaro5, camaroz28 and moderncamaro are cess-pools.

I may be biased, but cadillacforums is one of the last great auto forums out there. Most have turned into autonomous wiki sites. Where discussions are either allowed to run out of control until they are deleted, or over-censored from the get-go.

I've thought about that as well - but if a corporation bought the sites and closed them down, that would be a whole hell of a lot of information lost forever. What a shame. Yes, small sites would start again and the cycle will continue...

What you're seeing happen to some of the bigger sites is exactly what happens when a site owner either loses interest (focuses on other hobbies) or wants out for one reason or another. At that point, the sole existence of the site could potentially become income. However, keep in mind that the new owner probably wants the community to succeed (return on investment) so if sold to the right person or company - there could be positives...

I would hate to see this site sold, but if it happens I'll have a lot more free time on my hands. I doubt that I would go with it.

It really depends. If a forum has a different owner but the rules don't change and the important aspects remain the same - I don't see a major issue. The problem I've seen in the past is most times things change quite a bit. If these big companies learn anything - it's that they should keep the places operating as they were if they want them to continue moving forward...

ThumperPup
07-13-11, 11:23 AM
hmm out of curiosity how much just a ball park would you get if you chose to sell Sal

Lord Cadillac
07-13-11, 12:40 PM
Well, I tell people who ask that I want a million. Wishful thinking but this is my hobby. How much is my hobby worth to me? If you told me you'd give me a million dollars to never eat pizza again, I'd laugh at you. I wouldn't give up something I enjoy for a price.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. These companies pay you a few years of annual revenue. If you're not making a lot of revenue, they're not going to pay what the site is worth. To me, this site has an emotional value. Plus, it's been around for a long time. It's got to have more value than the dollars it brings in.

hmm out of curiosity how much just a ball park would you get if you chose to sell Sal

JimmyH
07-13-11, 02:50 PM
And they hire a goon squad to moderate. Nerds who bury every useful thread.

I don't think there is any amount of money to get me to stop eating pizza :)

ThumperPup
07-13-11, 03:42 PM
no money in the world would get me to stop eating pizza aslong is it always comes with pineapple and diced tomatoes lol

JimmyH
07-13-11, 06:52 PM
pineapple on pizza; I may have to ban you :shocked:

ThumperPup
07-13-11, 07:22 PM
pineapple on pizza; I may have to ban you :shocked:

oh come on pinaeapple on pizza is great yummmmmmmmmmmm

JimmyH
07-13-11, 09:44 PM
my friends and family all make fun of me because I prefer my pizza with just cheese, no other toppings

ThumperPup
07-13-11, 10:03 PM
so do mine but they make fun of me because i don't like any meats on my pizza

JimmyH
07-13-11, 10:20 PM
that could be interpreted a couple different ways

ThumperPup
07-13-11, 10:33 PM
yeah but i don't keep kosher LOL

Ranger
07-13-11, 11:12 PM
Then maybe I could catch your poast count...
Nah, you'd probably have to sign up and start from zero.

JimmyH
07-13-11, 11:51 PM
And don't forget, Ranger's posts, unlike the rest of us, are legit.

Stingroo
07-15-11, 01:34 PM
lol Jimmy.

Brett
07-16-11, 06:38 AM
Sal I will require a steak dinner from Morton's in Orlando as severance upon any sale of this website :)

RippyPartsDept
07-16-11, 11:09 AM
Sal I will require a steak dinner from Morton's in Orlando as severance upon any sale of this website :)

Couple times a week, for life, right?

Lord Cadillac
07-16-11, 11:11 AM
Hey. What do you think of Morton's? There's one about 20 minutes from me and Danielle and I have been looking to give it a shot...

Brett
07-16-11, 01:43 PM
It's one of my favorites, just wish there was one in Tampa

JimmyH
07-16-11, 06:26 PM
I think Capitol grill has replaced mortons as the best steak house.

Brett
07-16-11, 06:30 PM
yeah, I think capitol grille is better as well but we have one of those in Tampa I frequent. The heart always wants what it cant have without driving for an hour i guess

JimmyH
07-17-11, 05:38 PM
They have been voted best steak by many sources. Which doesn't necessarily mean they are right. There is one a block from my office. 4 years now and I still haven't gone.

Lord Cadillac
07-18-11, 11:04 AM
In my opinion, Vito's Chop House and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse are both better than Capitol Grille...

Lord Cadillac
07-25-11, 12:10 PM
Private messaging capacity for non-supporters has been increased from 10 messages to 25...

Be sure to clear out your SENT folder every so often. This does count toward your limit.

RippyPartsDept
07-25-11, 12:49 PM
yeah, that full outbox got me a few times back in the day before we went platinum

PS: awesome that you're doing this for the non-supporters, btw ... care to share your reason? (if there is one)

Lord Cadillac
07-25-11, 12:56 PM
The reasoning behind the increase is I recently obtained more drive space and want members to be comfortable with their limits. I think 25 is a good amount - as long as you're proactive in deleting what's in your OUTbox...

Ranger
07-25-11, 08:31 PM
I think you can change your settings to NOT save sent messages (if you don't need or want them).

smackdownCTSV
07-28-11, 10:33 PM
So my complaining was worth a damn then? :D

Lord Cadillac
07-29-11, 12:05 PM
I think you can change your settings to NOT save sent messages (if you don't need or want them).

Yes, I believe you can...

So my complaining was worth a damn then? :D

Yes, you and others. :) The squeaky wheel gets the oil! :p

JimmyH
07-29-11, 12:35 PM
grease

Lord Cadillac
07-29-11, 01:12 PM
grease

Is it really grease? I've been hearing oil since a kid. I don't want to have to change!

JimmyH
07-29-11, 02:16 PM
squeaky wheel gets the grease, that's how I have always heard it. Oil doesn't work well, wheels, gears, pulleys, etc. It would dry up, gravitate off. Grease is more substantial, more viscous, and usually more waterproof.

RippyPartsDept
07-29-11, 02:58 PM
grease++

Ranger
07-29-11, 09:34 PM
Yup, it's grease. Sorry Sal, you're gonna have to change.

JimmyH
07-30-11, 08:29 PM
do you have a hangover Sal?

Lord Cadillac
07-30-11, 09:23 PM
do you have a hangover Sal?

No. I didn't have much last night. It was a light evening. :p

ThumperPup
07-31-11, 12:34 AM
Is it really grease? I've been hearing oil since a kid. I don't want to have to change!

im a little bit late comming in tthis
but yes it is grease lol