: Engine Cover on my '09 CTS-V: Replace it or Remove it?

Cadjulack
07-11-11, 01:59 PM
Hi guys and gals,

First and foremost I wanted to express my excitement to join such an active and knowledgeable group of Cadillac enthusiasts. I've been a long-time Cadillac fan for over 20 years now and have owned everything from a '60 El Dorado to my current obsession- a '09 CTS-V :cool2:

Without further ado, onto my first post! So I removed the engine cover on my CTS-V this past weekend and somehow my girlfriend had misplaced the cover. (what my gf was doing messing around with an errant engine cover is beyond me! :thepan:) Now that my engine is naked, however, I'm starting to favour the exposed, raw look of the glorious power plan sans a retarded plastic shroud. I know that some manufacturers claim that engine covers can reduce the amount of engine vibrations that enter the cabin but this seems like marketing malarkey to me..

So my question is this: is there any reason to replace the engine cover other than aesthetics? I conducted a quick google search and I'm full and well aware that replacing this cover would only set me back about $10 from the dealers and $6 from discounted OEM parts sites such as gmpartsgiant.com but I don't see the point of bothering to replace a superfluous part like this..

Any input would be appreciated! :cool:

Bigron
07-11-11, 02:15 PM
Where can you get an engine cover for $10?

smackdownCTSV
07-11-11, 02:18 PM
My cover is off as well.

LFTW8S
07-11-11, 03:34 PM
Took my cover (all the pieces) off my new ride the day I got it.

Tuna
07-11-11, 03:53 PM
Besides hiding the engine, it also muffles some of the engine noise - if you like the looks and don't hear anything you don't want to hear, leave it off.

haterinc
07-11-11, 03:56 PM
mine's got no briefs on, but need to do something with the London Bridge... ie that strut tower brace

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/77345d1309710963-kdi-heat-exchanger-high-flow-pump-048.jpg

Razorecko
07-11-11, 07:07 PM
I took all my covers off. It supresses the sound AND it also traps in more heat. V's do not like heat

RapidRob
07-11-11, 07:19 PM
I was thinking about starting a poll thread on this question, (who has the covers installed versus who runs with them removed ... etc.). I may end up removing them myself ...

Rob

ecorpuz12
07-11-11, 07:37 PM
took my covers off....i see no functional need for them and i'm all about functionality....mostly...

M5eater
07-11-11, 09:43 PM
I took all my covers off. It supresses the sound AND it also traps in more heat. V's do not like heat

It(the center engine covers) keeps heat in for the winter, and to protect the paint finish.

I kind of like mine to be honest. Engines today are a busy mess, they're not simple design and almost elegent like they used to be (when they didn't *need* covers) . I might take them off when I acutally have something above stock to show off, but more likely I'll just wrap them in CF or something.

haterinc
07-11-11, 10:17 PM
Have you seen that engine bay?? Lol there is no where for that heat to go. And as far as the paint, one of the hottest parts is sticking through the top of that rubber engine smotherer ;)

SilveRT8
07-11-11, 11:04 PM
When I'll get my '12 no sunroof V-Wagon, out they'll go along with the spare tire and rear cargo blind, maybe even rear headrests.
Dont like to carry extra weight around.

RapidRob
07-11-11, 11:11 PM
^^^ - Unless things change for 12, you won't have a spare tire to worry about. My 09 came without one, and I assume 10's and 11's did also.

Rob

SilveRT8
07-11-11, 11:17 PM
^^^ - Unless things change for 12, you won't have a spare tire to worry about. My 09 came without one, and I assume 10's and 11's did also.

Rob

Did it come with a Fix-a-flat or something ?

RapidRob
07-11-11, 11:50 PM
^^^ - Yep - sure did.

Rob

baabootoo
07-12-11, 12:57 AM
Get one from the new ZL1 Camaro, and modify it to fit.

JimmyH
07-12-11, 01:03 AM
^that might take a while

dvandentop
07-12-11, 01:26 AM
been off since took delivery from dealer

cbloveday
07-12-11, 01:28 AM
Mine are off as well. You may want to buy a cover just to have the set.