: Question for those with Cutouts

cbloveday
07-11-11, 12:11 PM
I am considering buying the Quick Time Products 3" stainless Y pipe cutouts.

I do not want to buy the electric ones from QTP or DMH. Althought they are cool,

I will only be uncorking at the track and have no problems getting under the car to unbolt the caps.

I can see alot going wrong over time with the electric cutouts and this is my DD, so corrosion is an issue.

So my question is,

Do these really help with restriction from OEM mufflers and add horsepower?
http://shop.quicktimeperformance.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=65

JOEYCTS-V
07-11-11, 12:22 PM
In a high HP car like yours I don't think it would hurt. Anyone?

haterinc
07-11-11, 12:29 PM
a lot of the 700rwhp+ Camaros here locally run them and swear by them

garfin
07-11-11, 01:10 PM
I am considering buying the Quick Time Products 3" stainless Y pipe cutouts.

I do not want to buy the electric ones from QTP or DMH. Althought they are cool,

I will only be uncorking at the track and have no problems getting under the car to unbolt the caps.

I can see alot going wrong over time with the electric cutouts and this is my DD, so corrosion is an issue.

So my question is,

Do these really help with restriction from OEM mufflers and add horsepower?
http://shop.quicktimeperformance.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=65

FWIW, I installed a cutout (not electric, for similar reasons) on my heads & cam Camaro that had an aftermarket SLP exhaust system with Random Tech Hi-Flow cats. If I remember correctly, the cutout added 6 or 7 RWHP on the dyno, but at the same time there was an apparent torque loss of 5-6 lbs-ft.

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
07-11-11, 01:41 PM
On the Buick turbo cars running them uncorked always resulted in significant horsepower and torque increases. Have seen as much as 50 hp on the dyno but of course the boost usually increased by a couple of pounds when uncorked which contributed to this gain.

Nonetheless it's always good to have the choice at the track.

cbloveday
07-11-11, 02:01 PM
I like what I am hearing. I am not too concerned about torque loss because this LSX has crazy torque.
I dial down the nitrous ramp for the launch as it is.

cbloveday
07-11-11, 02:26 PM
Grant,

I just thought of something. When headers are added on the V, boost drops. Correct?

In this same vein of thought, one would think the boost would drop with cutouts. No?

newcadman
07-11-11, 05:27 PM
Grant,

I just thought of something. When headers are added on the V, boost drops. Correct?

In this same vein of thought, one would think the boost would drop with cutouts. No?

Good question, Curtis.

As mentioned in the case of the Buicks doing nothing else other than uncorking the exhaust sees the boost generally increase 2-3 lbs. depending how restrictive the exhaust system was on the car.

With respect to the supercharged application I'm not sure what effect it would have on the boost. Hopefully Larry (gnx), Jesse or Drumstix will chime in and give you a definitive answer.

vetkila
07-11-11, 05:58 PM
I am very interested in this thread. Curtis why don't you like electronic cut outs? Do people usually have problems with the electric cut outs?

Junkie414
07-11-11, 06:19 PM
i picked up power on my last caddy with a 414/direct port setup. I plan on eventually doing dual 3" electric cut outs on this car, but I've never really had issues with them

cbloveday
07-11-11, 07:32 PM
I am very interested in this thread. Curtis why don't you like electronic cut outs? Do people usually have problems with the electric cut outs?

Kila,

I wrestled with electric vs manual. I will only open them at the track. I can keep up with maintaining 6 bolts with anti-sieze vs the electric cutouts.

I have heard stories in the past where there was quality issues with QTP but that has since been resolved. I believe it was bad batches and the issues were resolved. DMH have 4 year warranty. I really only have concerns with over a long period of time with the chicago winters, something could fail.

Then there is the added weight. With all the extra stuff on my car it is adding up. Also Electronics can fail.

Nitrous bottle
Nano bottle
Nitrous/fuel solenoids
Nitrous Lines
k40 radar
LSX engine
Dedicated fuel system (tank, regulator, pump, lines)

I know I am being odd. I just want to keep it simple.

vetkila
07-11-11, 08:36 PM
Not odd I can understand you don't want to put more weight in an already heavy car. As for me if the electronic cut outs work I'm going that way. I will open them on the track and also on the street when it is time for some fun!

vetkila
07-11-11, 08:43 PM
Not odd I can understand you don't want to put more weight in an already heavy car. As for me if the electronic cut outs work I'm going that way. I will open them on the track and also on the street when it is time for some fun!

Ross L
07-11-11, 09:27 PM
IMO, go electric. No fun crawling under car at the track, dropping wing nuts, getting dirty ect.... Your cut out failing should be the last of your worries. ;)

JOEYCTS-V
07-11-11, 09:46 PM
I think I agree with the Ross. It'll be one less thing to worry about when you arrive at the track. You have enough shit going on with your nitrous setup, bottle warmers, etc. IMO, the weight savings will be so small it wouldn't even be an issue.

DoingOK
07-11-11, 09:57 PM
I have the DMH low profile cutouts. I'm installing headers this weekend along with a Corsa Touring exhaust. I still need to figure out exactly where to install the e-cutouts and where to install the switch-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/DSC05552.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/Car%20stuff/DSC05663.jpg

haterinc
07-11-11, 10:13 PM
What headers are those? What coating?

DoingOK
07-11-11, 10:52 PM
Kooks longtubes with HiFlow cats. I had them ceramic coated (inside and out cept' for the cat section) by ThermalTech (2000 degree finish).

cbloveday
07-11-11, 11:52 PM
I think I agree with the Ross. It'll be one less thing to worry about when you arrive at the track. You have enough shit going on with your nitrous setup, bottle warmers, etc. IMO, the weight savings will be so small it wouldn't even be an issue.

Twisting a few extra wing nuts is nothing. If I run the nano, no bottle warmer needed. If I do not run the nano the bottle warmer is automatically turned on and off at if the bottle gets outside the parameters I set on the controller. At the track all I need to do is work on the ramp given the stickiness of the track that day. I have to jack the car anyway to put the DRs on. Not a problem to get under it.

cbloveday
07-12-11, 12:00 AM
The cutouts should go in a spot that is easily serviced, level (for clearance) and before the upward bend of the 2.5" pipes leading to the mufflers.
I would think a little after the that middle exhaust brace. The pipes are parallel there and you'll have more support for the extra weight on your pipes.

laynrockers
07-12-11, 12:50 AM
IMO Best place for cut-outs is after the stock cats. If you put them too far back might as well just straight pipe from the cats back. My only concerns are where to run the wires and how to get inside the cab and mount in a decent location like the coin collector or center console.

Can't beat having 2 different exhaust notes at the flip of a switch..

Junkie414
07-12-11, 03:16 AM
Why not run them right after the header collector in the mid pipe?

Dr.Buzz
07-12-11, 08:27 AM
Hey Curtis. I have been running them on my Zo6 for 4 years now and have had no issues.

cbloveday
07-12-11, 09:13 AM
Doc,

Do you drive your Z in the winter though? I drive my car daily.

cbloveday
07-12-11, 01:51 PM
I would still like someone to confirm whether cutouts on a sc engine will reduce boost or not.

newcadman
07-12-11, 02:53 PM
I would still like someone to confirm whether cutouts on a sc engine will reduce boost or not.

Curtis, might want to give a call to Hennessey, Lingenfelter, Vette Doctor, etc. and speak with someone who has perhaps done some dyno testing with open exhaust and can give a definitive answer to the boost question. Just a thought, fwiw.

haterinc
07-12-11, 03:19 PM
thinking logically, headers and cut outs reduce back pressure and cut outs in turn shorten the exhaust flow to the atmosphere. going from a high pressure area to a low pressure area will require less force thus less boost

cbloveday
07-12-11, 03:56 PM
That is what I was thinking. I have only 9-10 lbs of boost currently.

No matter. I'm gonna spray it til it breaks and then part it out to my forum friends and buy a smart car.

JOEYCTS-V
07-12-11, 04:11 PM
That is what I was thinking. I have only 9-10 lbs of boost currently.

No matter. I'm gonna spray it til it breaks and then part it out to my forum friends and buy a smart car.

:histeric::histeric::histeric:

haterinc
07-12-11, 04:19 PM
dibs on the engine block heater

cbloveday
07-12-11, 04:56 PM
dibs on the engine block heater

Don't have one. I looked into it and decided against it. Cost too much to retrofit IMO.

haterinc
07-12-11, 05:16 PM
darn then dibs on the hitch

cbloveday
07-12-11, 05:27 PM
No hitch either. You can have dibs on the roof rack. It holds a full size ladder with scaffolding