: Your V2 has dead battery what do you do?

Bigron
07-11-11, 10:26 AM
Well I am sure Cadillac service would be the right first call, but it was 2am Saturday night in the middle of no where West Michigan. Some background is when my V1 died it was Thursday at 3:30pm in Suburbia and it took them 3 hours to come help.
So this was done in an emergency setting.

Battery was dead-dead. No lights no nothing. So hidden key in the fob was used to get into the drivers seat. Since the battery is in the trunk I tired to pop the trunk, but it is electronic so that wouldn't work. No way to crawl through the pass through and manually open it, since I am not a 3 year old, ninja or gymnastics.
Popped the hood on the recommendation of a Chrysler engineer and found what we thought was a "charging post", to the left of the engine with a large orange cord running to it.
Ran the jumper cables for a while and she started up. Only side affect appears to be the auto up window feature is not working? Maybe a weird coincidence but I will get it into the dealership soon for the rest of my list of to do's.

What caused the dead battery? No clue. No lights were on when she started back up. Nothing plugged in. So the jury is still out on that one.
But I figured I would share incase someone else ran into this problem.
into this issue.

JOEYCTS-V
07-11-11, 10:43 AM
This sounds like the same problem I had with my car. There's nothing wrong with your battery if the same thing I had going on. If you would have waited a few minutes it would have just started. The dealer flashed the BCM with an update they told me. It happened to me once since then so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My gauges sweeped and had power, just nothing would happen when I turned the key.

Domsz06
07-11-11, 10:46 AM
are your battery terminals connected snuggly? I noticed mine loosened up and would give "like dead battery" but it wasn't.

I forgot there was no way to open the trunk if your battery is dead....

In my z i just use the key to get into the trunk...

Hope you get it all worked out.

Bigron
07-11-11, 11:11 AM
This sounds like the same problem I had with my car. There's nothing wrong with your battery if the same thing I had going on. If you would have waited a few minutes it would have just started. The dealer flashed the BCM with an update they told me. It happened to me once since then so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My gauges sweeped and had power, just nothing would happen when I turned the key.

Nope battery was dead. No guage lights and when I first opened the door the lights were dim and then died.
Once the jumpers were hooked up the lights came on.

are your battery terminals connected snuggly? I noticed mine loosened up and would give "like dead battery" but it wasn't.
I forgot there was no way to open the trunk if your battery is dead....
Hope you get it all worked out.

I will check the terminals, but my guess was something was running all day.
I figured I would share incase someone else was in a pinch, this might keep them from freaking out.

wait4me
07-11-11, 11:55 AM
Once you open your driver door with the spare key, Reach into your car to open the rear driver door. then open the access panel, and there is a pull down T lever you can pull on to release the trunk.

Then on the right passenger side of the car there is a panel to pull off to access the battery.

The auto up and down windows just need to be relearned. Manually press the up until the window stops for a second, then go all the way down with the window till it stops, then go up again, and then it should work on auto again...

As for dead battery, Check for switches on the seats being stuck, That seems to be a pretty large cause.

Bigron
07-11-11, 12:32 PM
All good info to know, thanks Jesse.
I am sure it is somewhere in the manual somewhere, but it is nice just to give people the heads up.

GS7
07-11-11, 03:26 PM
I haven't seen the battery configuration on the sedan, but on the wagon (also in the rear, passengerside, in a compartment) it appears the fuse block is in the way and you have to remove that to get the battery out. Is the sedan like that as well?

BeagleBrains
07-12-11, 10:36 AM
My wife has some crushed vertebrae in her back requiring the assistance of a cane for walking. She is always reevaluating her effects on her surroundings. Well!!! She decided that placing her cane at the left side of her passenger seat might be a problem for me as I drove. So!!!! She place her cane to the right between her leg and the passenger door. Initially we heard and intermittent groan (like a seat positioning motor operating.) that would come and go. OOOOOOOOPS! Battery Charging excessivly. Yup; cane intermittently pressing on seat controls.
Cane returned to the left of her left leg; the cane will lie on the right side of the passenger seat, extending up under the dash without abrading or scratching the console ebony finish.
If is ain't broke(n), don't fix it! :tisk:
Yah, the back seat would be a less hazardous storage position.

cruiser68
07-12-11, 11:09 AM
May or may not be related but I had a similar problem on my 08 Yukon Denali. It would randomly die with no power ANYWHERE. Go into a store, come out, no door lock, no lights, no power anywhere. Wait a few minutes, it would start like nothing happened. Through a GM forum, I got to the point that I could get it to start right away if I jiggled the negative battery cable. Took it into the dealer and even with the tsb, couldn't or wouldn't fix it. Went to the parts department and bought the cable myself and it completely fixed the problem. Dealer subsequently paid me for the cable.

darkwingfrog
07-23-11, 08:07 PM
New V owner here so this info is good to know. Never would have thought to pull the release from the pass through.
Can someone tell me, are the power outlets always on in this car? Wondering if I leave my ipod plugged in is it draining the battery?

deckofficer
07-23-11, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't think an ipod would pull more than 250mA/hr. Typical cranking battery is rated at 65A/hr, so to drain the battery 1/2 way down (it will still start at that point) the ipod would need to run 130 hours. If the ipod is driving a seperate amp and speakers with decent volume, cut that down to 5~10 hrs.

RapidRob
07-23-11, 10:00 PM
New V owner here so this info is good to know. Never would have thought to pull the release from the pass through.
Can someone tell me, are the power outlets always on in this car? Wondering if I leave my ipod plugged in is it draining the battery?

I know the outlet just forward of the gear shifter is on all the time. Not sure about the others.

Rob

baabootoo
07-24-11, 12:22 AM
Nope, I believe that all the outlets are controlled to prevent rundown, unless you have the key on. This happened to me while I was loading music onto the hard drive one day.

darkwingfrog
07-24-11, 05:07 AM
I just hardwired the radar detector in so this is no longer an issue but I noticed that while it was plugged into the outlet on the front of the console it would remain on when the retained accesory power had ended. :hmm: