: Problem with bluetooth

Neutrocuted
07-11-11, 05:26 AM
Hey guys,

Everything on my nav head works fine except for 1 issue with my bluetooth.

I use an old 2005 Pocket PC i-mate PDA2K w/phone version that pairs well with unit. No problems with making calls or receiving calls with the radio sound low or off. The only issue, and it's a big one, is that if the radio is on, the radio will mute upon receiving an incoming call but as soon as I answer it the sound re-activates.

If I have the volume low I can talk over the sound of the radio, but if I have it cranked I can't do anything after I answer (not even turn the radio volume down because the volume control is now for the phone) except tell the person I willl call them back and hang up. I then regain control of the radio. I can then return the call and the unit will mute just fine. No problems with outgoing calls.

I thought I had read somewhere on here about others having this issue but nothing like it comes up on my searches and I can't seem to find anything on it. (or it's just too darn early in the morning for me!)

I am taking my car in to the dealer tomorrow to have the motor mount replaced and I thought there was some sort of update that resolves this problem.

Could someone post a link of the thread on the TSB or any info on this subject?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kschwed
07-11-11, 01:29 PM
I have a Sprint EVO 4G and the same thing happens occasionally. I've found that restarting the phone fixes it and usually for a week or two. Try restarting your phone every once in a while.

Neutrocuted
07-11-11, 01:46 PM
My phone is weird too. It will work fine on bluetooth but after I leave the car the bluetooth in the phone will not switch back to the phone unless I restart the phone (it is after all a "Windows" OS). I've never had a phone last so long. As long as it works I can't justify in my mind to buy a new one.

AllWheelEric
07-11-11, 06:34 PM
I used Windows phones for about 4 years too. Android killed that platform pretty damn fast! Anyway, I do get this problem from time to time. I have never seen a solution posted. I have the latest firmware in my car, and the problem still occurs some times. If you can do it every time, then take it in and show them. They may be able to update your firmware, which may fix other things, but won't completely eliminate this problem.

There is a button on the aux/phone screen called something like "private" which lets you send the call audio back to the phone. If the screen isn't locked up, you could try hitting that button when this bug happens, and before you get out of the car if you're still in a call.

EChas3
07-11-11, 07:28 PM
I think there were a few reports of this that led to the phone not the Nav Bluetooth. That seems consistent with kschwed's report.

It couldn't hurt to make sure you have the Nav firmware upgrade but there is reason to believe it's going to require a different phone or upgrade of that software.

Neutrocuted
07-11-11, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I was kindda afraid of that. I'll let them give me their spiel and if it can be fixed on the cheap, I'll do it. Otherwise I will find another route or not use it at all... but I really like it :crying:. Maybe this will be a good and logical reason to get the Android I really want! :yup:

Neutrocuted
07-11-11, 09:17 PM
... seems consistent with kschwed's report.

What's kschwed???

EChas3
07-11-11, 10:29 PM
See author of post #2.

Neutrocuted
07-12-11, 08:20 AM
Oooppps! That slid past me! Got it.

Greg00coupe
09-20-11, 08:35 PM
Mine worked well for a year with a BlackBerry. Now when I use the phone all I get is silence. It's makes the call and about 2 seconds later nothing. People I call get the call as they call me back. But I can't answer as the system is frozen. Weird thing too is when it was working each time I started the car I had to configure the car to connect to the phone. Now it configures on it's own but does not work. I'll need to fool around with a reinstall i guess. One thing about bluetooth.......once you use it you want it.

EChas3
09-20-11, 10:37 PM
Selete the phone & set it up again. Make sure it's set as 'Default' (underlined).

carter's_sts
09-22-11, 12:58 PM
For the problem the thread starter has.............I've had 3 phones and they have all done this. 2 regular Moto phones and 1 HTC smart phone. It's the NAV unit and I don't think there is a fix. Very annoying and mine does it a lot.

MacMuse
09-22-11, 01:35 PM
I'll vote for EChas' delete the phone & re-add it as a great free-to-try & could fix it option.

Richard MacGregor
11-03-11, 09:15 AM
Guys,

I'm going to hijack this thread for use with my problem..."odd things the handsfree Bluetooth does"

Specifically, on our 2010 CTS, any incoming call was answered by merely saying "hello"........really neat, hit no buttons! All of a sudden, incoming calls can only be answered by "the accept button" or the "hook button" located on the steering wheel.

I did shut off and restart my phone (a new feature phone LG) to see if it fixes it as suggested here below. While not the end of the world, I have to say that the way it worked up until now was very cool, just speak.

Has anyone experienced this one?

Richard

maiahsdad
03-03-12, 05:36 AM
I have the latest firmware since a week ago today, and the BT connection/audio sucks as bad as it did prior to the head unit update. I was told at the dealer that these issues of bad audio quality would be improved. Not for me. I have the newest IPhone with no problems with any other BT devices.

People say there's a hum like I'm sitting beside a generator or something. As well as the overall quality is awful. People say they hear themselves echoing back when they speak. And if I turn it way down, I then can't hear them. I think mourning the mic beneath the rear-view mirror was a mistake.

Friend said to turn the volume up on the IPhone itself and keep STS vol low. When I'm on the call, I cannot change the vol on the IPhone, only the STS.

Issue after issue. But I love the car. My 2nd. I just want the darn thing to WORK.

Neutrocuted
03-04-12, 10:38 AM
I was afraid of that... spending money for the GM tech to work on my nav head only to find out that it is still the same as before! Or worse yet, make it worse. If they break something it's really hard to get them to fix what they break. I've been living with my STS issues and don't imagine getting them fixed, ever. I'll wait for my next STS (STS-V) and double check that certain things work as they should before my purchase.

EChas3
03-04-12, 09:08 PM
I think experienced members would tell you that issues with the Nav generally indicate complete replacement.

ddalder
03-04-12, 09:48 PM
There are a lot of problems that lend to VR and similar problems. I'm not convinced that the location of the microphone is really the problem. I've always found OnStar performance to be quite acceptable. This in itself suggests that location probably isn't the biggest factor.

As for connectivity, the microphone in the mirror connects to the VCIM (Voice Communications Interface Module) / OnStar module in about the furthest corner of the trunk. Granted, the signal passes through shielded cable but even at that, it is bundled with all kinds of other signals within the harness. The shielding used is a Mylar film with a bare drain wire. This is okay, but far from the best available. When VR is selected, the analog voice signal is received by the VCIM and then routed all the way back to the other end of the car into the navigation radio. Unfortunately, cable shielding is not completely intact either to the VCIM or back again to the radio. There are several in-line connectors within the harness that these signals pass through. Every connection can decrease signal strength slightly (although this is more prominent with RF signals). Being that these connectors are not shielded, it also opens up the wiring to electrical noise. This makes for a long cable run with many "holes" that can create grief.

I haven't been privy to VCIM schematics so I don't know what circuitry is involved in routing the signal back to the navigation radio. This may or may not cause some further degradation. Then there's the design of the A/D (analog to digital) converter circuitry. Again, haven't seen schematics but this can obviously have a profound effect on how well the system works.

Personally, I don't believe there is one quick and easy fix to this issue. It is what it is and unfortunately, I think we'll have to live with it.

ABQDon
05-23-12, 01:50 PM
Have the same problem with my 2005 STS, but I have found a quick fix to the problem when it does occur.

If you answer the phone and the radio and bluetooth are on simultaneously, go to the Bluetooth page on the Nav System by pressing the BlueTooth symbol on the upper left of the screen when the bluetooth is active (or press Config/Bluetooth). On this page press Private (disconnects audio from bluetooth) then press HANDS-Free. This will reconnect your bluetooth audio. Process takes about 5 seconds to accomplish and beats having to call the person back.

Neutrocuted
05-24-12, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the work around! I'll give it a try. Don't know if that is "grayed-out" when in motion but I have a LockPick so I can get to it on the go!

Neutrocuted
05-26-12, 10:21 AM
My setup seems to be different. I push the AUX button to access the phone dial pad screen and that's where the "Private" and "Hands Free" buttons are located. They do not "gray-out" when you're on the move but the dial pad does. Haven't had the op to try your suggestion yet.

Maximln
05-26-12, 06:59 PM
This "problem" has been present since I bought the car new! Every phone that I have used over the years reacts differently to the system. Some will not mute the audio when you place a call & some will not mute the audio when a call comes in. Mostly not muting the audio when a call comes in. The way I work around it is similar to the way a few other people have mentioned. When I get call, I answer it, & then on the screen of my phone (Android) there is a bluetooth button that illuminates green when you answer the call, I push that button, the bluetooth disconnects, that after a second or so, I push it again & the bluetooth reconnects with the audio muted. It has worked every time!

Max

cadillacmike68
05-28-12, 12:23 AM
This "problem" has been present since I bought the car new! Every phone that I have used over the years reacts differently to the system. Some will not mute the audio when you place a call & some will not mute the audio when a call comes in. Mostly not muting the audio when a call comes in. The way I work around it is similar to the way a few other people have mentioned. When I get call, I answer it, & then on the screen of my phone (Android) there is a bluetooth button that illuminates green when you answer the call, I push that button, the bluetooth disconnects, that after a second or so, I push it again & the bluetooth reconnects with the audio muted. It has worked every time!

Max

So much for hands free operation!

Mine works ok, (1 yr old Samsung flip phone!) but the phone does not auto connect when i start the car. Same phone auto connects in my wife's CTS no problem. Maybe i don't have it set as default in the STS. More owners manual reading in the driveway for me i guess...

Ludacrisvp
05-28-12, 01:10 AM
So much for hands free operation!

Mine works ok, (1 yr old Samsung flip phone!) but the phone does not auto connect when i start the car. Same phone auto connects in my wife's CTS no problem. Maybe i don't have it set as default in the STS. More owners manual reading in the driveway for me i guess...
My iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 never auto connects to the STS, the STS only has my phone paired to it, the other devices in the iPhone pair automatically the STS for some reason does not.
I find that to be rather irritating.

MacMuse
05-28-12, 10:09 AM
My iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 never auto connects to the STS, the STS only has my phone paired to it, the other devices in the iPhone pair automatically the STS for some reason does not.
I find that to be rather irritating.

Make sure the phone shows as 'DEFAULT' in the STS screen. Select the entry by clicking the big button in front the phone's entry in the list, and hit the 'DEFAULT' button on the right.

If that doesn't help, then delete the entry completely from both the car and the phone. Then re-pair them.

cadillacmike68
05-29-12, 03:14 PM
Make sure the phone shows as 'DEFAULT' in the STS screen. Select the entry by clicking the big button in front the phone's entry in the list, and hit the 'DEFAULT' button on the right.

If that doesn't help, then delete the entry completely from both the car and the phone. Then re-pair them.

Are we supposed to use the menu screens on the nav display or the VR commands???? The VR is iffy at best.

MacMuse
05-29-12, 07:03 PM
Menu screens definitely. I have no idea of this could be done through VR, and I wouldn't even try if they claimed it was possible. VR & I don't get along well.