: 2005 sts back up mirror stopped working

kchapps
07-10-11, 08:25 PM
the passenger side mirror just decided to stop working (automatically tilting down) when i put the car in reverse. The driver side works fine and the passenger side will respond to the little joystick button. Any one experience such a problem?

ddalder
07-10-11, 08:26 PM
Is it safe to assume that you have the mirror adjuster selection switch set to the passenger side prior to putting the car in reverse?

JGarten
07-10-11, 09:43 PM
It's driver's side (switch left), neither (switch centered) or passenger side (switch right. I had the exact same brain fart when I left the switch centered and asked the dealership to fix it when I had it in for regular servicing. They politely left a print out on the seat explaining how it works.

EChas3
07-10-11, 09:47 PM
^^^ I leave mine set for the right mirror. I don't actually use it much, but it is nice.

kchapps
07-11-11, 01:03 AM
Is it safe to assume that you have the mirror adjuster selection switch set to the passenger side prior to putting the car in reverse?
It never mattered what the selection switch was set to, when i put the car in reverse they would both automatically tilt down a little bit now only the driver side does it (regardless of the switch position) but the passenger side will still respond to manual input of the switch (so i know the mechanics are still working)

kchapps
07-11-11, 01:11 AM
I just went and checked... you guys were right, it does only do the switch it was selected to.... strange i could have sworn both went down. New
question: how do i make both mirrors go down simultaneously on my 2005 sts?

ddalder
07-11-11, 03:12 AM
Several body modules are involved in tilting the mirrors down. When the vehicle is placed in reverse, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) transmits a data message on the low speed GMLAN bus to the Instrument Panel Module (IPM). The IPM then sends a data signal to the Driver Door Module (DDM) and Passenger Door Module (PDM). Based on what position the selector switch on the Driver Door Switch Assembly (DDSA) is in, either the DDM or PDM controls the selected mirror to tilt it downwards. The DDSA is a body module on the GMLAN bus itself and I would expect when 'Reverse' is selected, is likely queried about the switch position (probably by the IPM).

In short, without re-writing some software, you can't have both sides tilt simultaneously.

JGarten
07-11-11, 10:50 PM
Only GM would engineer a system this complicated that works either left or right, neither but not both. I mean, who would possibly want both mirrors to move down in reverse? I guess we're suppossed to stare at one mirror the whole time and nothing else ;^)

EChas3
07-12-11, 10:58 PM
When would you ever need both sides at the same time?

ddgm
07-13-11, 07:51 AM
When would you ever need both sides at the same time?

I don't know about needing it, but I realy liked that feature on my Lincoln Continental, (I know you had one too). It was one of the first things I noticed when I got my STS. To me, it just seemed easier backing into a space, especially if there were lines on the pavement.

Doug

JGarten
07-17-11, 09:06 PM
I guess my point is that by only moving one mirror, I have to decide which mirror to move every time I back up *before* I backup vs. just having both move and letting me just look at either mirror as when and if necessary. Or maybe I'm just lazy? That's probably it...as a matter of fact, I leave the switch centered so it's a moot point on may case!

Cadillac_STS
07-23-11, 08:59 AM
I would have liked both of them to tilt down as well. I understand selecting one while parallel park, but what about when you are trying to back up into the parking space at a mall. Both tilt down would be nice.

is it possible to adjust the degree of tilt?

ddalder
07-23-11, 10:15 AM
Not without software modifications. It is programmed for a 7 degree tilt.

Relate27
08-18-11, 03:20 PM
Sorry to resurrect this old post but I'm glad it's here. I just purchased an 07 STS and my left sided mirror has been tilting down. In my 04 SRX the right sided mirror would tilt down so I just assumed that the STS was supposed to be like that. Upon getting into my car and I notice that the switch for the mirrors is set to the left side and not the right side. Thanks for the information the tilt down mirror is great for parking !