Cadillac Owners Forum banner

'78 Deville "ignition lock cylinder" replacement.

17K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  pompste 
#1 ·
Seems i`m going to have to replace my '78 Deville`s ignition lock cylinder.The "accesory" position,turning the key backward to play the radio,stopped working about 2 months ago and now just turning the key forward is becoming more difficult each week.I`d rather get it replaced "before" it quits completely and i`m stuck someplace having to get a tow.
Can this be done by a do it yourselfer or would it be better to have my trusted mechanic replace it?
Luckily this Caddy is pre-computer era with no chips in the keys.
If anyone could recommend a good place to buy a new one,it will be appreciated!
Thanks

#7 ·
I`ve got a Haynes and a '78 Cadillac service manual supplement but it seems a somewhat intricate procedure and since i don`t have the proper tools,it seems i should take it in to my trusted mechanics.I had hoped to save some money on labor charges since i`m currently living on foodstamps and minimal unemployment pay here in Michigan.

#3 · (Edited)
Before replacing the cylinder, check that the switch unit that is located down the column hasn't loosened. sometimes the selactor switch comes losse and it will seem that the cylinder is the problem when the loose switch is the culprit.
Do you have a second set of keys? Does the problem persist with both key sets? Perhaps your key is worn. Sometimes a new key can work in this situation.

#6 ·
It does seem like something may be loose in there since sometimes the cylinder rotates real good and then sometimes it`s seems like it`s caught on something in there and it`s difficult to rotate.I`ve got 3 ignition keys,1 original and 2 duplicates,and i`ll check those out too.
Is the "switch unit" you mentioned inside the column?

#4 ·
To remove the ignition switch, you need to disassemble the Tilt/Telescopic mechanism (if used), then use a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel and then remove the shroud and extension. Then you remove a retainer and behind that is a spring.

With all of that removed, turn the ignition to RUN (the battery should have previously been disconnected). You should see a clip for the key warning buzzer; remove it. The ignition switch is held in by a retaining screw, and once that is removed, the cylinder should come out.

I would not recommend doing this yourself. If you have the tilt/telescopic column, the mechanism is nearly impossible to put back together. There are a lot of little parts and a lot of little things to go wrong.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info to all who chimed in.
I do have the tilt/telescopic column and since there`s so many little parts,i`ll have my trusted mechanics at my local MEINEKE center have a look at.They`ve been working on both my Caddy`s for the past 5 years and have been real fair/friendly with me also!

#8 ·
I have taken these apart many times .. It is not hard with all the proper tools.. without the tools impossible....I could pull it all apart , change the lock and put it all back together in a hour or less... So if they want more than $100 labor, they are ripping you off...You might be able to buy the tools on ebay for a whole lot less... How good are you at taking things apart ?

#9 ·
I`m a good do it yourselfer and i like taking things apart and putting it all together again------but it seems in this situation many little things could go wrong and if i make mistakes,i`m left with not being able to start my Caddy and then i`d have to pay to have it towed in.
I`ve found new lock cylinders at my local autozone fairly cheap at from $13 to $35.
Since this is more than likely a "1 time fix only"---might not be wise to buy the tools if only used once.

#12 ·
I don't see why you would need a new screw.. They always come out and go back in without a problem...just don't lose it.. Taking it apart is not that tough... I used to fear doing things and fear was my biggest problem.. For years I would not take apart a transmission...

#15 ·
It may be wiser to get the one with the screw,with or without is the same price,---since the new aftermarket one might have a different sized screw--you never know.Apparently from what i`ve read here,the tilt/telescopic feature adds another obstacle to overcome and another tool.
You`ve got courage to take a transmission apart!
I`ll be getting an estimate tomorrow---if it`s over $100---Faaa-Get-About-It!

#17 ·
Took my '78 Caddy to my trusted mechanic today for an estimate.Keep in mind he`s old school--in his late 50`s,worked on many older vehicles and i`ve been taking both my Caddy`s to his shop for the past 5 years with great results.
He wants me to find a "steering column diagram" for my '78 Deville to see all parts in there.His shop computer database only goes back to 1982.
If anyone could find the diagram and post it here--i`d really appreciate it! I`ll look for it online myself too.If i find one i`ll chime in here quick to let ya`ll know.

#20 ·
Thanks for looking,sven.Seems the procedure for the tilt/telescopic is proving to be real elusive.I`ve been looking online and no luck so far either.The procedure has to be around somewhere,after all many Cadillacs had the tilt/telescopic feature back in the day and more than likely needed to have the ignition lock cylinders replaced at some point in time.
I`ve inspected real closely, for over 2 hours, what`s there now with the steering wheel off,trying to figure some way to remove the telescopic hardware that sets on the lock plate,but there are really no clues.It`s just a small white plastic base with the extendable/retractable shaft in the middle of it.When the lock plate compressor tool is fully threaded on the shaft,it just extends when i pull on it and then the 2 side braces of the lock plate compressor tool are 3 inches or so from the lock plate.
There is also some type of collar around the shaft,about an inch below the top end of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.