: Finished first trackday, couple of issues...

catch2otwo
07-09-11, 08:52 PM
Posted on LS1 as well...

So I just finished my first trackday at Thunderhill today. Car was everything I expected, mushy, soft, fat etc etc. But its what I expected, car is all stock, I wanted to get a "baseline" for it before I started modding.

Temp was about 93 F at around noon.

Issue one:

Seems the power streering fluid resevoir blew fluid over the top of the motor. After my first session, there was oil all over the top of the intake, valve cover etc. At first thought, I suspected the resevoir was over filled but didnt see any min/max lines on it. Second session, same thing, but way less oil. Third session, same thing but again less oil.

Where should the res be filled to? Or do I have a defective cap or something?

Issue two.

Had some oil seeping from the oil filter. Enough to create a couple drips to create a quarter size spot on the ground. This im just thinking its a bad gasket. Filter is a wix. I tightened it as much as I could with my hand which was only a tiny bit but it still leaked a little. Any other common areas there that may leak some oil?

All in all I was happy tracking it today. Cant wait to go back out with a good set of pads and some new suspenders.

crankedupforit
07-09-11, 08:57 PM
Suck out the old PS fluid with a turkey baster. Refill it with Redline.
Sounds like a gasket on the filter.

catch2otwo
07-09-11, 09:09 PM
why change out the ps fluid? care to explain?

JDB
07-10-11, 12:24 AM
Zip tie a couple layers of a old t-shirt around the cap.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-10-11, 12:39 AM
why change out the ps fluid? care to explain?

I mentioned this in your other thread, but it's getting too hot. The synthetic fluid doesn't have as much issue with this. I run Amsoil in mine as I'm a dealer. While the switch seemed to help some, the spill over didn't stop until I went with the larger PS cooler.

mstrjon32
07-10-11, 03:59 AM
Mine will blow fluid past the cap when I'm using it on the track. I did a complete flush with Amsoil, but every time I open the hood after a run, there is some fluid near the area around the reservoir.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-10-11, 06:11 AM
Mine will blow fluid past the cap when I'm using it on the track. I did a complete flush with Amsoil, but every time I open the hood after a run, there is some fluid near the area around the reservoir.

Upgrade the cooler for about $40.

crankedupforit
07-10-11, 09:34 AM
Try a fluid change first. I had no issues with overflowing yet with Redline. If you still have a problem, then a cooler is good advice.

catch2otwo
07-10-11, 01:37 PM
Read your comments unsafe on ls1. Looks like ill get on it

thebigjimsho
07-10-11, 06:13 PM
Normal stuff on the PS fluid.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-11-11, 06:17 PM
Try a fluid change first. I had no issues with overflowing yet with Redline. If you still have a problem, then a cooler is good advice.

Lucky you. :) I've almost always had issues even with different fluid. Good place to start though.

Read your comments unsafe on ls1. Looks like ill get on it

I guess I neglected to note the part number, but I picked up my cooler from Summit I believe. Here's a picture comparing it to the stock unit:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/UnsafeAtAnySpd/IMG_20110305_133512.jpg

darkman
07-11-11, 06:44 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/176091-power-steering-cooler.html

JustinC
07-11-11, 09:02 PM
Im running a clean flush of redline fluid. If I fill over 1/2 on the PS res then some of it gets pushed out. Same with the other V I run at the track with.

What tires are you running? I've been in the same V running Falken 452s(meh), Re-11s, awesome and Hoosier R6s which make you think you're suddenly in a car that weighs 800lbs less! Nothing soft and mushy about em! This was with Ferodo DS2500 pads.