: Awesome day today at Monticello Motor Club

Ive's V
07-09-11, 04:23 PM
Today, I drove my V up to Monticello Motor Club for the Cadillac V performance lab. It was an awesome day. Drove the V sport wagon, V sedan and V coupe on the track as well as a 3.6 coupe for some performance drills. Hung out one-on-one with John Heinricy and Andy Pilgrim. Totally a great time. Got 3 laps in the V coupe and I'm just waiting for the video to be sent to me. Very nice day overall!

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-10-11, 03:31 AM
Sounds like a good time.

Ive's V
07-10-11, 10:12 AM
If you ever get and invite to one of these things, grab it, it is very much worth the ride!

ahahnu
07-10-11, 02:32 PM
I'm a hater right now. I did get an invite, but had to work. Glad you had fun. I hope I can make it to one of these.

Junior1
07-10-11, 09:09 PM
This year was definitely better than last years event.
I took the manual wagon as well as the manual coupe out. I've driven plenty of laps @ MMC in the sedan and some in the coupe, but it was my first time driving the wagon. I must say that extra 100-150 lbs over the rear really help to plant it. I also had a real cool instructor. He was able to get me some point by's and clear traffic so I could lay into it...
Some of the same Caddy crew were there from V-Day and they recognized me as well. Andy and John Heinricy were there answering questions along with the ride-a-long VR that was supposed to make it to Summit Point. From what I gather they were going to take it out on Monday, though not with the public.
I skipped a session to talk setup on my V with Andy and I also spoke with the Michelin engineer about the new pilot super sport tires
Caddy also had merchandise for sale this time around so naturally I bought 1 of everything.

Ive's V
07-10-11, 11:51 PM
John and Andy were awesome. I too, took the wagon for the first true track session, automatic though. I want to do it with the manual, but figured, I would be better off this time in the automatics. John said, at the end of this year they are offering a V school, somewhere near Vegas for $556. He said it was going to be the first session ever and would be a full day of schooling and track. Sounds very tempting. I'll tell you, braking that car into the tight turns, felt like we were ripping the surface of the earth off. That car bit so hard, it was amazing. One thing, Those V2s are awesome cars, but I like my V1, I can't explain it, but I like the look and feel of ours. It feels lighter and more pure, if that makes sense. John Heinricy also said, as much of an awesome car as the new V is, his heart was still with the first generation. He said, you always have to improve and make the new product better in everyway, he felt the V1 was a truer road car, more pure muscle. I very much enjoyed hearing him say that. Another thing that was cool, talking to him, I thanked him for his creation of our Vs. I recently totaled my 06 Saturn Ion Redline, which was one of his creations as well, and as we spoke, and I mentioned that I have an 87 Monte SS, it turns out, he is the father of the 83 Monte SS and Aerocoupes as well, as well as being responsible for bringing that style to Nascar in that day. I had no idea. It was a very special day. I can't wait for the video.

Ive's V
07-11-11, 02:08 PM
Here is a link to my pictures from the day. Forgive my Mini pictures at the end.

http://s893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/Ivestoy2/

smackdownCTSV
07-11-11, 02:24 PM
It was a nice day. Wish we got more than just 3 runs. Didn't get a chance to do the wagon though. Would have been nice to go back to back from the Sedan to the Coupe as well, right when I was getting comfortable with the track, but got directed to the classroom instead. Understandable with a huge group. Kind of redundant to go after though. Driving the CTS-V's first would have been nice when they weren't all beat up and heatsoaked.

Ive's V
07-12-11, 12:32 AM
I agree, I would have loved more laps. Like you said, just after finding the groove we were done. I'll tell you this much, with the helmet on, the V coupe's A pillar was blocking my view compared to in the wagon. I was surprised, but it took a little more head movement to look ahead. One thing that made me feel better, those cars felt good, but not dramatically stronger than my 04. I felt that way driving my friends 2010 GT500. It felt strong, but not enough to make me feel like I was lacking.

Aurora40
07-12-11, 08:14 PM
I see you got a picture of the "supersonic blue" CTS-V. Apparently they are trying out the 'vette color just to get impressions from people:

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/Ivestoy2/ce2877e3.jpg

Ive's V
07-13-11, 12:41 AM
It is an eye catching color. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it stands out and gets your attention.