: Bird poop etching...

shchow
07-09-11, 11:58 AM
FYI...

I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on some bird poop etchings today.
The stuff worked GREAT!
Got rid of all the etch marks with no scratching...

JOEYCTS-V
07-09-11, 12:01 PM
Good to know. Thanks. My front fender has a nice stain that I wasn't able to get out with wax.

shchow
07-09-11, 12:11 PM
Yeah, it actually worked better than rubbing compound.
Had some scuff marks that I couldn't get out with regular rubbing compound that I lightened with the Meguiar's stuff...

BeagleBrains
07-09-11, 01:02 PM
I find that my Zaino treatment protects against stain etching of the paint is I wash it as soon as I find Bird or tree resin stains.

kgb14
07-09-11, 03:47 PM
FYI...

I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on some bird poop etchings today.
The stuff worked GREAT!
Got rid of all the etch marks with no scratching...

Good info. I need some, where did you get it?

The Tony Show
07-09-11, 04:07 PM
Just so you guys know, bird droppings actually don't etch the paint- it's the paint heating up with poop on it that causes the imprint.

Sunlight or engine heat causes the poop to harden and the paint and clear to heat up and expand. When it cools and contracts around the area where the droppings are sitting, it causes the paint to mold around the texture of the bird poop. Tests have been done showing that if the paint remains below 40 degrees, you can put bird crap on the hood for a month and it won't leave an imprint.

Bottom line is you need to clean it off quickly if the car's going to be in the sun or the hood heated up by driving. Once the paint hardens into the shape of the droppings, you need to level the surface again with an abrasive like polish.

shchow
07-09-11, 04:12 PM
Good info. I need some, where did you get it?

You can pick it up at any auto store. I got it from Pep Boys.

Tony, if what you say is true, any rubbing compound would suffice. But I had no luck with my regular stuff to get the poop marks off...

The Tony Show
07-09-11, 05:26 PM
Polishing out blemishes has a lot to do with the compound you use, method of application and other variables.

I wasn't knocking the product you used- I'm sure it's great. Just while we're on the subject of bird crap I figured I'd toss out an interesting fact I learned. :)

DrumStix
07-09-11, 11:15 PM
+1 on both products.

Domsz06
07-10-11, 03:11 AM
Just so you guys know, bird droppings actually don't etch the paint- it's the paint heating up with poop on it that causes the imprint.

Sunlight or engine heat causes the poop to harden and the paint and clear to heat up and expand. When it cools and contracts around the area where the droppings are sitting, it causes the paint to mold around the texture of the bird poop. Tests have been done showing that if the paint remains below 40 degrees, you can put bird crap on the hood for a month and it won't leave an imprint.

Bottom line is you need to clean it off quickly if the car's going to be in the sun or the hood heated up by driving. Once the paint hardens into the shape of the droppings, you need to level the surface again with an abrasive like polish.

I didn't know that! that's pretty cool info! thanks for sharing.

I have left poop on though for days and it washes right off and no residue on afterwards, is this because of the was base I have on first?

Nutz
07-10-11, 07:15 AM
I am pooping while reading this thread.

shchow
07-10-11, 11:15 AM
Polishing out blemishes has a lot to do with the compound you use, method of application and other variables.

I wasn't knocking the product you used- I'm sure it's great. Just while we're on the subject of bird crap I figured I'd toss out an interesting fact I learned. :)

+1,
Always keen to learn new information...

JimmyH
07-10-11, 04:12 PM
Just while we're on the subject of bird crap

we will discuss anything on this board :bouncy:

EVIL_C5
07-10-11, 05:58 PM
Just so you guys know, bird droppings actually don't etch the paint- it's the paint heating up with poop on it that causes the imprint. Sunlight or engine heat causes the poop to harden and the paint and clear to heat up and expand. When it cools and contracts around the area where the droppings are sitting, it causes the paint to mold around the texture of the bird poop. Tests have been done showing that if the paint remains below 40 degrees, you can put bird crap on the hood for a month and it won't leave an imprint. Bottom line is you need to clean it off quickly if the car's going to be in the sun or the hood heated up by driving. Once the paint hardens into the shape of the droppings, you need to level the surface again with an abrasive like polish.

Heres some photos of me correcting acid rain and bird poop etching from our old cts.

https://picasaweb.google.com/briandrice/JennifersCTS

Borrowed this from another forum

Bird droppings:(Or insect excrement like Gypsy moth, June bug, bees, aphids, etc) contain highly acidic concentrates (uric acid) which if left for any length of time the will cause the clear coat to ΓΆβ‚¬Λœcloud (a non-transparent area) or etch (a depression in the paint) or glass surfaces, so they should be removed without delay. Birds use gravel to digest their food and grit and sand are some of the major components. Residue should be removed as soon as possible as it could compromise the clear coat. Take your time and be careful with its removal, pre-soak contamination with Isopropyl Alcohol and use detailer's clay and a lubricant to remove any hardened residue. Then use an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) If the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection.

bnewell
07-10-11, 08:13 PM
:yup:

musclesbmf
07-11-11, 11:20 AM
I didn't know that! that's pretty cool info! thanks for sharing.

I have left poop on though for days and it washes right off and no residue on afterwards, is this because of the was base I have on first?

The darker the color, the more noticeable the etchings are. Silver and white are very forgiving in this area.
Mark

cdog533
07-11-11, 12:55 PM
Guys, you want to start with the least abrasive thing possible.

Start with a clay bar, see if that works. Then a polish. Then go to a compund if needed.

And of course, follow the compound with polish and then wax to avoid swirls!

EVIL_C5
07-11-11, 04:24 PM
you can rub a claybar on the finish until the cows come home, and it will never remove a defect such as bird etching. clay is meant to remove embedded contaminants.