: High Mileage questions

fmfa0801
07-09-11, 11:36 AM
How do escalades hold up 100,000 miles+? Things to worry about or common problems?

hannity
07-09-11, 12:47 PM
Well I can tell you that I have seen some older model escalades on the road. So they more than likely have the mileage range you speak of. I've had many parts replaced on mine and my 2010 has now just under 8000 miles. I even have problems that they say they cannot fix because they claim they are normal.If you go to a dealer and ignore the chrome wheels and beauty of the truck and really really look at the vehicle. I mean even get down on your knees and view the undercarriage for rust. View the engine bay (Yes I mean on brand new models).Run your fingers along the head liner and across the leather that they use. You will see that quality wise these vehicles are not meant to last you for the long haul. Granted you get a 50,000 mile warranty basic and a 100,000 mile power train warranty. When you do take it in to get things fixed, you'll be surprised what they tell you is normal/they all do that. Knowing full well if the vehicle was doing that when you test drove it from day one you would not have purchased it. You will also be surprised at what they don't cover under the warranty. The reason I'm even typing this is because this is my first and last american car (at least from gm). I'm not trying to discourage you from buying one. You buy it if you want to. I know no car is completely perfect, but if I would have known how troublesome these vehicles are I would not have gotten one. Forums like this are the perfect tools for aid in your car shopping experience. Watching a review on youtube or reading a review by motortrend is one thing. The true mark of a vehicle comes from forums like this of people who actually own them and drive them everyday. (Search this forum and see what people complain about). I hope I was able to help, good luck in what you decide to purchase.

PreachRR
07-09-11, 01:30 PM
The major factor in vehicles with high mileage is always how well it was taken care of by the previous owner.. My brother bought an 03 denali with 120k on the odo and it was a problem free truck even more so than my 03 tahoe with 40K on it.. So looking it over really only offers a dim view of what the real story is.. Here are my suggestions for buying a high mileage vehicle.. Car fax see how many owners it has had.. if it had a lot of title transfers chances are it was not maintained well because no one intended to keep it for the long haul and so they probably did not care.. see if you can get a copy of the GM VIS (GM vehicle information service) it will show you what services have been done.. If you see the recommended services performed chances are it was taken care of and might be a worth while purchase.. if all looks good get at least a 3 month 3000 mile guarantee unless it is a private sale.. good luck I have my escalade certified and it has carried a 100k bumper to bumper so I have paid for no repairs and the dealers have really tried to take care of me..

MrSplenda
07-09-11, 01:32 PM
That's interesting... Hmm, I have a 2010 Premium AWD and I have had a few problems, the wheels got rusted and pitted in places. So did some of the pieces of chrome trim. And the blower went out on the drivers seat, which caused the heated seat not to work. All of these things were replaced without question under warranty. The Cadillac service that I get at my dealership has been second to none. They are incredible... and for that reason I will always own a Cadillac Escalade. It really depends on what dealership you take it to and how they work with you. They are franchised so each one is going to be different. My truck has been overall solid with no major issues for 20,000 miles.

I've owned several VWs prior, with my last car being a 2008 VW R32. The car was incredible (I could run with Porsches), but it was ALWAYS in the shop for something. Their service departments at every dealership I took it to were always fighting with me to not fix something that was obvious. That being said, I know my Escalade is going to last and I know Cadillac service is going to take care of me if I ever need them to.

bstiffmanofsteel
07-09-11, 06:29 PM
I am on my second Escalade, first was a 2002. I got rid of it with 87k on it. Only problem ever was the fuel pump went out... My 07 EXT I had to do some maintenance on, but it was just basic stuff that the previous owner didn't do. I am over 80k now and everything is in order...

Punmax
07-09-11, 09:26 PM
I am on my second Escalade, first was a 2002. I got rid of it with 87k on it. Only problem ever was the fuel pump went out... My 07 EXT I had to do some maintenance on, but it was just basic stuff that the previous owner didn't do. I am over 80k now and everything is in order...

135,000K here. The motor does have excessive piston slap, but other than that, it's held up great.

fmfa0801
07-09-11, 10:02 PM
Ok just seeing if there was any major problems people were having over 100,000 miles. I bought a 2007 black ESV with 93,000 miles about 2 months ago. Paid $24k with clean car fax and good condition and no piston slap! KBB was $32k. The only thing I have had problems with is the passenger door handle broke whick I read that is very common for them and the chrome inside handle is getting sharp & is covered under 100k miles.

bstiffmanofsteel
07-10-11, 12:40 PM
Ok just seeing if there was any major problems people were having over 100,000 miles. I bought a 2007 black ESV with 93,000 miles about 2 months ago. Paid $24k with clean car fax and good condition and no piston slap! KBB was $32k. The only thing I have had problems with is the passenger door handle broke whick I read that is very common for them and the chrome inside handle is getting sharp & is covered under 100k miles.

I had all 4 inside handles replaced. They can cut your hand if you aren't careful. The outside ones you have to pay for yourself. But you can do the labor...

evois
07-10-11, 01:18 PM
you guys must be pumping irons because all of my door handles are okay, nothing wrong with it. bought my 2009 hybrid awd new in 2009 and 60k miles later has been a champ(just like my honda pilot with 188k miles). no problem at all. reliably giving 19-20 city and 25 highway. yup that good(using premium).

bstiffmanofsteel
07-10-11, 02:02 PM
The interior handles was a known issue on the 2007, some type of flaw with the chroming process.

Dobiesdaddy
07-14-11, 06:58 PM
This is my forth GM AWD SUV since 2003.
Highest mileage vehicle was a 2005 Denali... returned for lease return at 54K. Never a problem with it except a driver's remote mirror not folding inward.
Currently have an '07 Lade. Got it used with 4,099 on the odo from an estate sale (2yrs ago). Now have 28K and we drive the wheels off of it all the time going to dog shows to show our Doberman bitch.
I have had no problems with the engine. Some backlash in the drivetrain till they did a ECM/TCM update.
I run AMSOIL "XL" 5w30 in it with their oil filter. I change it and the filter every 10K.
I also run their ATF in the trans. It seemed to help with the backlash problem and the trans shifts better and runs cooler too in the summer.
I consistently get 22MPG highway at 60-65MPH. Running at 70-75MPH I only lose 1-1.5 MPG.

I spoke to several great GM mechanics and for upgrades on this engine "they love the supercharger kits" vs chipping. Once I get done modding my '07 VW GTI 2.0t I'm headed for the S.C.