: oil change Luxury

kgb14
07-09-11, 02:11 AM
Okay, I went and did it. I know it costs more than multiple oil changes do but I couldn't bear the thought of someone else changing my oil.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/kgb1414/IMG_2790.jpg

I got the extra high ones so I have plenty of room to operate.

cbloveday
07-09-11, 02:19 AM
dup post

cbloveday
07-09-11, 02:22 AM
i still use stands with rr-56 ramps. I feel safer. Nice pic.

Domsz06
07-09-11, 09:42 AM
pretty cool!

smackdownCTSV
07-09-11, 10:14 AM
Nothing wrong with that. I would do it too. But I just prefer the oil to be changed on level so all the oil comes out.

MikeV
07-09-11, 10:34 AM
Nothing wrong with that. I would do it too. But I just prefer the oil to be changed on level so all the oil comes out.

Simply jack the rear to make it level an put it on stands. Makes it easy to inspect everything underneath while oil is draining, change the diff or trans fluid, etc.

smackdownCTSV
07-09-11, 10:37 AM
Meh. I have a competent shop that does drain and fill for under $10.

elphil
07-09-11, 02:48 PM
No cost on 2011 and newer models under the Premium Care Maintenance program.

kgb14
07-09-11, 03:55 PM
Meh. I have a competent shop that does drain and fill for under $10.

How do you get there, with a time machine???? lol.

smackdownCTSV
07-09-11, 04:01 PM
Too bad that's all it really covers.
We can't rotate.
Who uses the stock paper filter?
Inspection is nice, but most dealers do that anyway.

smackdownCTSV
07-09-11, 04:16 PM
How do you get there, with a time machine???? lol.

About 10 years ago I was paying $15 for an oil change. That was with oil, filter, and labor. It's just a drain and fill. Dealer charges about double.

kgb14
07-09-11, 04:21 PM
About 10 years ago I was paying $15 for an oil change. That was with oil, filter, and labor. It's just a drain and fill. Dealer charges about double.

Awesome price, glad you trust them. I see you bring your own fluids to cut the cost, great way to do it. I have not found such a place as yet, still looking.

smackdownCTSV
07-09-11, 04:39 PM
Any dealer should be able to do it. Even a local garage.

kgb14
07-09-11, 04:44 PM
Any dealer should be able to do it. Even a local garage.
I am referring to the trust part, plus I enjoy doing the oil change myself.

kirks5oh
07-09-11, 06:08 PM
glad i have a lift in my garage, and a kegerator.

smackdownCTSV
07-09-11, 07:21 PM
Keep looking. I still keep an eye on them, even though it's hard to mess up an oil change. Drain and fill. Done.

GS7
07-09-11, 09:37 PM
Race Ramps work great, and so light. Did you get the wheel chocks?
On some cars you get better drainage with just the front elevated, and/or avoid soaking things like engine mounts when you remove the filter. All depends where things are located.

You could jack up the rear and use jack stands to get it level, but definitely use chocks on the race ramps.

Caddyscat
07-09-11, 10:08 PM
The drain plug is actually at the rear of the pan, so I fail to understand how having a level pan would drain more oil versus a pan that is tilted rear down. I love the ramps! Simple and easier!

kgb14
07-09-11, 10:14 PM
Race Ramps work great, and so light. Did you get the wheel chocks?
On some cars you get better drainage with just the front elevated, and/or avoid soaking things like engine mounts when you remove the filter. All depends where things are located.

You could jack up the rear and use jack stands to get it level, but definitely use chocks on the race ramps.

I did not get the wheel chocks. The front wheels are in the cradle and I set the brake.

I drained, added 6 quarts and still need to add a little, so most if not all oil did come out. I remember on my 2006 Vette I did jack up the rear and a bit more did come out. But on the Caddy the oil pan looks a little different so I am thinking not a problem. Anyone know different?

M5eater
07-09-11, 10:15 PM
where could one aquire these ramps OP?

No cost on 2011 and newer models under the Premium Care Maintenance program.
Frankly the mantiance program is useless to me, I'm with the OP, I enjoy doing mantiance on my car, I'd also rather not apply to the 10K OCI and 50K paper filter schedules. I probally will let them do the cabin filter however.

kgb14
07-09-11, 10:38 PM

Frankly the mantiance program is useless to me, I'm with the OP, I enjoy doing mantiance on my car, I'd also rather not apply to the 10K OCI and 50K paper filter schedules. I probally will let them do the cabin filter however.

I got them from here:

1 "Race Ramps RR-XT-2 67" XT Race Ramp - 2 Piece"
Automotive; $316.80
In Stock
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

I got Free shipping, too.

cbloveday
07-09-11, 11:19 PM

The cabin filter is an extremely easy service to do. It is next on my list. Supposed to be done at 25,000 miles. Onstar just notified me.

M5eater
07-10-11, 09:55 AM
The cabin filter is an extremely easy service to do. It is next on my list. Supposed to be done at 25,000 miles. Onstar just notified me.
really? 25? I thought I remember it being 1 year 12K on the maintiance schedule. I probally would have done it myself if it's so easy. It was a PITA on the G8, and the filters were near $30..

Thanks though.

I got them from here:

1 "Race Ramps RR-XT-2 67" XT Race Ramp - 2 Piece"
Automotive; $316.80
In Stock
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

I got Free shipping, too.
thanks. I wish they were higher capacity honestly.. there's only 700lbs of breathing room to their limit.

cbloveday
07-10-11, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=M5eater;2649631]really? 25? I thought I remember it being 1 year 12K on the maintiance schedule. I probally would have done it myself if it's so easy. It was a PITA on the G8, and the filters were near $30..

Thanks though.

Super easy, The black plastic piece just above the PCM is held in by 3 bolts maybe 4. Remove it only and right below is the filter. There is a clasp on either end and the filter lifts out. Slide the new one in and you are done. I removed mine and vacumed it. it was pretty clean. I did not have time to order one as it is low on my priority list right now. I will order one shortly. I believe they are $30 but the filter is like
6X7 is size. Here is the thread with pic

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/213648-cabin-air-filter.html

JimmyH
07-10-11, 05:07 PM
I used to do all my oil changes. Until I spoke to a few guys who had warranty claims denied because they couldn't prove oil changes were performed.

thebigjimsho
07-10-11, 07:14 PM
I used to do all my oil changes. Until I spoke to a few guys who had warranty claims denied because they couldn't prove oil changes were performed.Then they were lied to. It's on the dealer to prove it wasn't done. If they are skeptical, tell them to get off their asses and have an oil evaluation done.

JimmyH
07-10-11, 07:55 PM
Some of us don't feel like arguing. A dealer oil change is irrefutable proof. Besides, it's easier to have it done on my way home from work than be crawling around on my garage floor fighting off the two maniacs who want to play 120 questions while I am crawling around on my garage floor.

thebigjimsho
07-10-11, 08:48 PM
So are you saying you don't crawl around on your garage floor?

M5eater
07-10-11, 08:59 PM
I used to do all my oil changes. Until I spoke to a few guys who had warranty claims denied because they couldn't prove oil changes were performed.

if you don't have receipts I could see that happening, I can't see a dealer denying warranty work even with walmart receipts however. I suspect these people had other things going on.

JimmyH
07-10-11, 09:40 PM
maybe. walmart receipts don't prove you put the oil in your car. I know it's a long shot getting denied warranty (I was never denied, even when I was changing my own oil), I just figure if I am going to pay someone to change my oil, I might as well spend the extra $15 a dealer charges. not to mention, twice (years ago) I went to Jiffy lube, and twice my drain plug fell out (or was never put back in)

And yes, I do still crawl around on my garage floor. Just not under the car :D

thebigjimsho
07-10-11, 10:03 PM
extra $15? It's $95 at my dealer. Oil and filter for me are in the $25-30 range...

JimmyH
07-10-11, 10:17 PM
You are getting ripped. I paid $74 for a full synthetic change for the Enclave. And I think that's 6 quarts. Last time I looked at a store, Mobil 1 was $8. I am sure it's available cheaper than that, but best case scenario can't be better than $40 for oil and filter. And when I said $15 more, I meant over a Jiffy lube type place.

M5eater
07-10-11, 10:19 PM
maybe. walmart receipts don't prove you put the oil in your car. I know it's a long shot getting denied warranty (I was never denied, even when I was changing my own oil), I just figure if I am going to pay someone to change my oil, I might as well spend the extra $15 a dealer charges. not to mention, twice (years ago) I went to Jiffy lube, and twice my drain plug fell out (or was never put back in)

And yes, I do still crawl around on my garage floor. Just not under the car :D

funny you mention jiffy lube, as they've been involved in quite a few scandals

JimmyH
07-10-11, 10:29 PM
I haven't even gotten close to a Jiffy Lube/CarX/Meineke/etc in years. To me, those places are the automotive equivalent of brothels. I prefer to bend over for the dealer. They may screw me financially, but have yet to ever screw up my car.

cdog533
07-11-11, 07:15 PM
A dealer can't deny your warranty claim because you do your own maintenance. If you do your own, just say what you did and when you did it...

I haven't even gotten close to a Jiffy Lube/CarX/Meineke/etc in years. To me, those places are the automotive equivalent of brothels. I prefer to bend over for the dealer. They may screw me financially, but have yet to ever screw up my car.

Word. I think my dealer is $90 or so. I do use a local place for my Escalade. I don't mind doing it myself, always did until a few years back, just too busy to work on the daily drivers typically. I still do all my own detailing.