: Wow the forums work much better when you are a supporter!

translux
07-08-11, 11:28 AM
Wow the forums work much better when you are a supporter!
One of the reasons that I did not sign up was the terrible performance
Had I known that it got much better I would have signed up a year ago...

tl

Rabbitctsv
07-08-11, 12:11 PM
I had no idea about that , where do i do it and what do i get with it?

smackdownCTSV
07-08-11, 12:43 PM
Firefox + Adblock Plus FTW!

RippyPartsDept
07-08-11, 12:55 PM
I had no idea about that , where do i do it and what do i get with it?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html

translux
07-08-11, 01:32 PM
Hum still can't get rid of the ads?

cruiser68
07-08-11, 02:54 PM
Agreed. Much faster now :) Besides, I've saved money just browsing these forums, might as well support them for the wealth of knowledge.

The Tony Show
07-08-11, 03:04 PM
Firefox + Adblock Plus FTW!

It's not just about blocking ads- Supporters also get the ability to use a custom avatar, larger PM boxes, photo albums to show off their car, a personal blog AND the warm fuzzy feeling of not being a freeloader by giving a little back to the community that helps you save money and learn about your car. :)

translux
07-08-11, 03:21 PM
Those are all good things for sure.
The ads I was referring to is the popover ad that made it nearly useless to browse the forums on my ipad.

mother
07-08-11, 04:07 PM
I think they need to rethink making the site SO crappy for non-supporters. Until reading this thread I wouldn't have DREAMED of paying for a site with such poor useability and performance.

Would you buy a V if you had to test drive one that had the LSA replaced with an iron duke and the drivers door welded shut?

LV_V
07-08-11, 08:15 PM
The pop-up ads on mobile devices on this forum are just asinine. Makes it almost unviewable most of the time..

translux
07-08-11, 11:29 PM
They are now gone from my iPad with the subscription so the formatting finally works :)

The pop-up ads on mobile devices on this forum are just asinine. Makes it almost unviewable most of the time..

Rabbitctsv
07-09-11, 01:14 AM
yes i know what you talking about, cant even use the i pad or iphone because the dang adds pop up and cant see around it or make it small and can make the screen bigger to hid the add. sucks

Those are all good things for sure.
The ads I was referring to is the popover ad that made it nearly useless to browse the forums on my ipad.

xRUSTYx
07-09-11, 01:57 AM
I use tapatalk on my iPhone and don't get any ads :)

mother
07-09-11, 09:26 AM
I use tapatalk on my iPhone and don't get any ads :)
So now we should buy an app to use this site? No thanks.

zinner
07-09-11, 11:00 AM
http://noscript.net/

It's a firefox addon that blocks javascript. That significant improves performance on javascipt heavy sites. The page loads are dependent on 3rd party slower script hosts, it's amazing when you see that there are 8-10 random other domains loading code on your computer when you visit sites. I am not sure why they need to run code on your browsers to show you a picutre/ad.

It also improves your security, but creates more hassle, it's a lot of clicking to allow domains for the 1st 2-3 weeks.

xRUSTYx
07-09-11, 01:27 PM
So now we should buy an app to use this site? No thanks.

its like $1.99 for the app, and it makes scrolling through forums MUCH easier. I downloaded it a year ago or so to keep up with forums on the go. I visit about 4 or 5. Best $1.99 I've ever spent on an iphone app :)

JOEYCTS-V
07-09-11, 01:39 PM
its like $1.99 for the app, and it makes scrolling through forums MUCH easier. I downloaded it a year ago or so to keep up with forums on the go. I visit about 4 or 5. Best $1.99 I've ever spent on an iphone app :)

AGREE 100%! Tapatalk is awesome and loads extremely fast. I hardly go to the website anymore.

BeagleBrains
07-09-11, 01:55 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html
I always try to pay my own way as a matter of pride.
This is a fine supportive forum, most of the time. :bigroll:

Florian
07-09-11, 01:56 PM
So now we should buy an app to use this site? No thanks.:thepan::hammer::lame::gg::wambulance:

F

The Tony Show
07-09-11, 02:44 PM
Tapatalk is an app that works across most online message boards to make mobile browsing easier, not something special for this place.

mother
07-09-11, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for the 3 or 4 other Forii I spend time on.

It also seems that the site renders horrible on iOS devices intentionally to try to make you buy the app- particularly because without a thread like this nobody would know that paying for the site would make it usable.

Which again was my original point- Annoying people into paying works particularly badly when people don't know that paying will improve anything!

I always try to pay my own way as a matter of pride.
This is a fine supportive forum, most of the time. :bigroll:

LOL. But seriously- with the number of ads on each page the site owner should be making orders of magnitude more than it costs to host this site... Most people can cover costs with a few google adwords.

:thepan::hammer::lame::gg::wambulance:

Nice. And you're an admin? That is so sad for this place.

Almost as sad as this platform is. Don't get me wrong- the content that the people who come to this site provide has value. It's just the site itself is about as bad as sites get in this day in age. The layout is cluttered and confusing, the server is slow, page load times are abysmal due to the object count and even worse performing ad servers, the coders have missed the last 15 years of developments in HTTP, and the site renders completely differently between the major browsers.

Does nobody else feel like they're looking at a 10 year old MySpace page?

Tapatalk is an app that works across most online message boards to make mobile browsing easier, not something special for this place.

Thanks for the helpful reply TTS.

translux
07-09-11, 03:37 PM
I use taptalk for pm's and to respond to subscribed threads.
But I have not figured out how to only view/browse the 09 CTS-V forums and see everything. Now with the ads gone the ipad is usable.
I agree the ads kill the ipad experience and probably push many new users away.

JOEYCTS-V
07-09-11, 03:41 PM
Translux, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to figure it out. It's self explanatory. Poke around and ask questions if you need to. Once you figure it out you'll realize what you've been missing.

The Tony Show
07-09-11, 04:28 PM
If all you want to see is the 09+ CTS-V forum, set this URL as a bookmark on your iPad:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/

That'll open directly into this forum.

The Tony Show
07-09-11, 04:36 PM
LOL. But seriously- with the number of ads on each page the site owner should be making orders of magnitude more than it costs to host this site... Most people can cover costs with a few google adwords.

The sites you're talking about don't have 120,000 registered users and at least as many unregistered guests like this place does. Big car forums are usually owned by one of the big three Internet Forum Conglomerates that have huge pockets to run them with, plus have 30-40 marquee sponsors that pay big bucks to the site owners.

Even though this place is just as big as others, there's not the kind of aftermarket support for Cadillacs as Mustangs, Corvettes, Hondas, etc. Because of that, fees for vendors here are a LOT lower than what it costs to advertise on other forums, so the guy who owns this place has to cover the bandwidth cost somehow.

I'm not defending the ads- I cringe whenever I log out and look at the forums as non-supporters see it, but I understand why it needs to be the way it is.

translux
07-09-11, 10:47 PM
If all you want to see is the 09+ CTS-V forum, set this URL as a bookmark on your iPad:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/

That'll open directly into this forum.

That I know but how to only browse this forum in tap talk?
Right now it shows all posts from all thr forums.

JOEYCTS-V
07-10-11, 12:51 AM
If you can see posts in all the other forums you're in the "latest" tab. On the bottom click "forum", then"current cadillac vehicle discussion", then "Cadillac V Series", then "CTS-V series 2009+". Once you're in here it will take you right to the 2009+ V series forum whenever you open the app, unless you reboot your phone or ipad device. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Florian
07-10-11, 12:58 AM
Nice. And you're an admin? That is so sad for this place.

yup...deal.

F

translux
07-10-11, 12:06 PM
Cool thanks ill give it a try

If you can see posts in all the other forums you're in the "latest" tab. On the bottom click "forum", then"current cadillac vehicle discussion", then "Cadillac V Series", then "CTS-V series 2009+". Once you're in here it will take you right to the 2009+ V series forum whenever you open the app, unless you reboot your phone or ipad device. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

JimmyH
07-10-11, 12:46 PM
77Almost as sad as this platform is. Don't get me wrong- the content that the people who come to this site provide has value. It's just the site itself is about as bad as sites get in this day in age. The layout is cluttered and confusing, the server is slow, page load times are abysmal due to the object count and even worse performing ad servers, the coders have missed the last 15 years of developments in HTTP, and the site renders completely differently between the major browsers.

I really get sick of all the crying about this forum. This discussion does not even belong in the V forum.
corvetteforums.com, camaro5.com, moderncamaro.com all have sponsors lined up out the door, and I have experienced slow page loads on all of them. Have you ever sat in a traffic jam? It happens. Even as a supporter, I see this site bogged down. So I go away for a half-hour, come back, and it's fine.
If you don't like it, start your own cadillac forum and see how far you get.