: Time sert removal

Davidis33
07-07-11, 05:32 PM
I have been reading about the stud kits and was wondering if you can just drill the time serts if they have been installed or if they need to be removed before you can drill for the studs. If they need to be removed first how do you do it?

Jesda
07-10-11, 03:48 PM
Thread moved from 06+ DTS to Northstar Technical

johnny kannapo
07-10-11, 04:47 PM
If you already have inserts you are kind of committed to them. I'm pretty sure they are bonded in with locktite & removal would be difficult if not impossible without causing damage to the threads that may not be repairable.

You certainly could use a studs with the inserts. You would use a more conventional stud that doesn't step up in thread diameter on the block side.

ThumperPup
07-12-11, 10:20 AM
If you already have inserts you are kind of committed to them. I'm pretty sure they are bonded in with locktite & removal would be difficult if not impossible without causing damage to the threads that may not be repairable.

You certainly could use a studs with the inserts. You would use a more conventional stud that doesn't step up in thread diameter on the block side.

johnny i think Jake has said that his studs can be used with Time Serts and Norm Serts you have to drill again
how ever i think he said if you have big sert's then you can't use them and you are in the business for a new block
but i belive he does say that they can be used in an engine that was time serted

Speedygman
07-12-11, 02:11 PM
Found this picture of removing time sert.

Ranger
07-12-11, 10:23 PM
That's no Timesert. It looks more like a Helicoil.

This is a Timesert.

http://www.timesert.com/images/index/image003.gif

vincentm
07-13-11, 08:39 AM
Found this picture of removing time sert.

Yea, thats a helicoil

Submariner409
07-13-11, 09:56 AM
Remember: Jake's studs use a larger diameter coarser thread on the block end than OEM bolt threads, so you must drill and tap the block for Jakes studs.

Timeserts and Norm's Inserts use either the stock GM head bolts (M11 X 1.5) OR the VW cylinder jug studs/top nuts/washers from ARP.

Timeserts have an expanding lower thread design - the head bolt is torqued and that literally locks the 'sert into the hole. Look closely at Ranger's picture.

NEVER, NEVER use Helicoils as thread repair in a Northstar block head bolt hole.

maeng9981
07-13-11, 10:42 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/77696d1310494181-time-sert-removal-time-sert-remove.jpg

Helicoils: NEVER A FIX FOR NORTHSTARS, DO YOU WANT TO PUT THAT IN YOUR ENGINE HOPING TO HOLD ALL THE FORCE?

Speedygman
07-14-11, 07:32 AM
Some professional auto mechanic saw fit to do this repair with helicoils, some things never change P.T.Barnam said it best. A fool and his money are soon parted or something like that.

ternstes
07-14-11, 07:51 AM
According to the timesert website, you can use a bolt extractor to remove a timesert.

http://www.timesert.com/html/usefultools.html

Would this work with the timesert deep in the headbolt hole? I am more curious than anything...

Submariner409
07-14-11, 09:17 AM
Can't see why it wouldn't - I've pulled some pretty weird broken stuff with EZ-Outs.

The business of the bottom 3 threads expanding to lock the insert is what intrigues me...........(as in: cylinder block cracks)

stoveguyy
07-15-11, 12:40 PM
if OD of timesert is smaller than thread for stud/norms than it can be drilled out. its just a metal shell. imho. now if a person chimes in who has done this than we have more info.

johnny kannapo
07-16-11, 11:46 AM
Can't see why it wouldn't - I've pulled some pretty weird broken stuff with EZ-Outs.

The business of the bottom 3 threads expanding to lock the insert is what intrigues me...........(as in: cylinder block cracks)
This swedge expansion of the lower thread blows removal out of the water with out re-drill & tap larger yet.

I mentioned before you are kinda commited if you have inserts, you actually are solidly committed to them if them draw out a thread with an interfernce fit.

Its basically damaging the thread beyond use turning it out & will need re-work if that's still possible.