: Dumb ? Oil gets changed when you do a cam,head,pulley swap-right?

translux
07-07-11, 01:40 PM
Due for an oil change but if its going to get drained when doing the cam, heads and pulley might as well do it them.
Sorry if this is a stupid question..

Domsz06
07-07-11, 01:45 PM
yeah I'd do it to make sure you have good clean oil for your new cam, as well as the proper level.

baabootoo
07-07-11, 02:07 PM
I don't understand the question. Are you going to do it, or wonder if the other place doing the work will? If it's another place, verify and state it and in writing too. I'm guessing that another place won't want to drop $40 just for the heck of it.

Trapspeed
07-07-11, 11:00 PM
Yes, ideally. After engine work, once those parts are in and spinning I'd get that assembly lube outta the case soon thereafter.

smackdownCTSV
07-07-11, 11:19 PM
Just have them do it. Advance Auto and AutoZone are running a sale on the oil and filter now. I'll be going back as well since 15 qts and 3 filters is better than 10 qts.

translux
07-08-11, 12:19 AM
So to do the cam, pulley and heads do you need to drain the oil?

smackdownCTSV
07-08-11, 12:24 AM
Just do it. Give them the oil and filter. $10-$15 labor extra for drain and fill. Done!

Trapspeed
07-08-11, 11:14 PM
So to do the cam, pulley and heads do you need to drain the oil?

When we did heads and cam swap on the LS1's, you did NOT have to, no. Unlikely a pulley swap would warrant one either.

zinner
07-11-11, 04:57 PM
I did a cam swap on an LS6 and I did not have to drain the oil to do the swap of the cam. Now if you are changing the oil pump you need to drop the oil pan an inch, so you need to drain some of the oil to keep from making a mess.

You do have to drain the coolant for a cam/head swap however. Mostly because you have to move the radiator outta the way and the heads have coolant passages in them.

wait4me
07-11-11, 11:37 PM
YOU WANT TO DO AN OIL CHANGE AFTER A HEAD PULL. Antifreeze gets into your oil when you pull the head gaskets, Antifreeze is Death to bearings.