: Load Leveling Shocks on my '96?

turbojimmy
07-07-11, 12:48 PM
It's been asked before, but I hate the search engine here.....

So I went to Meineke today because it sounded like my new exhaust system was leaking. They said it was exhaust coming out of the weep hole on the right muffler, which is "normal". It sounds like a leak, but isn't? I said "How come the left one isn't doing that". Blank stare. But I digress....

While it was up on the lift, I noticed oil all over the right rear shock. Time for new ones. The Delco air-adjust shocks are $160 a pair. Gabriel Hi-Jackers are $60 a pair. Is the ride quality better on the stock ones? I don't want it to feel like I have 2x4s for shocks.

MoistCabbage
07-07-11, 01:45 PM
I don't believe the Hi-Jackers are designed to work with the rear load leveling suspension. I believe they the type of shock that you would manually pump air into when towing or driving with a heavy load.

SDCaddyLacky
07-07-11, 05:07 PM
Don't get the Monroe's Air Max, I got them in my 94, and it rides too stiff. They were much less beefy than the AC Delco's that were in before. But I am not sure if they were heavier duty AC's, or standard ones.

I would probably recommend to go with the AC Delco's.

durrk johnson
07-07-11, 05:20 PM
I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE POST!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have the Monroe Max Air in back and they are stiffer than my HD Bilsteins up front, I hate them.... I really wanna just delete the compression system all together as it keeps leaking and I hear my air compressor turning on all of the time... Also, I would just like to get HD Bilsteins in back aswell and have it adjusted so that it sits a little higher in the back. :/ maybe you should stick with stock.

RippyPartsDept
07-07-11, 05:31 PM
do you have the part number on the ACDelcos??
If not I can look them up for you
either way i can see what kind of deal i can get for you

turbojimmy
07-07-11, 06:11 PM
do you have the part number on the ACDelcos??
If not I can look them up for you
either way i can see what kind of deal i can get for you

I'm confused by what I see on Rock Auto.

There's Delco #504511 (#88946558) for $65.79. Description is: ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK 4 DOORS; TWO PER PACK
GMPARTSDIRECT lists this as one shock absorber for $56.

Then there's Delco #5193 (#88946598) for $102.89. Description is: ABSORBER,RR SHK(W/SPR) 4 DOORS; TWO PER PACK
GMPARTSDIRECT lists this as one shock absorber for $61.

And there's Delco #504110 for $158.79 (#19178430). Description is: INCLS TWO SHOCKS AND A HOSE KIT, HOSE ATTACH IS THREADED; Includes Hose; May Require PK097 Adapter Kit. ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK
GMPARTSDIRECT lists this as one shock absorber for $130.

So I'm confused....don't know which part numbers are correct or how many shocks I get for how much $$.

RippyPartsDept
07-08-11, 09:09 AM
can you PM me your VIN jimmy?

i'll be able to compete with GMPD on price when you add in the s&h charges on top of their rock bottom parts prices

without a VIN I think you should get the middle number #88946598 (I sell it for $75.05 plus $12 shipping to get it to you)

but we should probably use the VIN to make sure

(also, that is a two pack as the description mentions)

jayoldschool
07-08-11, 01:21 PM
That's a great price on the two pack! Rippy, are they the old style shocks where one shock has one air feed and the other one has the two ports (one in one out)?

turbojimmy
07-08-11, 03:28 PM
It does sound like a great price - PMing VIN now. Thanks!

RippyPartsDept
07-08-11, 04:17 PM
well i'm not 100% sure about this because I found the picture online

but

here's what it should look like

http://www.rmsautoparts.com/prodimages/504-511.jpg

and jimmy, that is the correct part number to go with... i'm pretty sure you could use the other numbers, but this one is the OEM (or the OEM replacement)

RippyPartsDept
07-08-11, 04:21 PM
Now that i look a bit closer at this kit it seems to be similar to what is done on the devilles/sevilles/eldorados

basically the air line fitting on the shock is not the same as the one on your original shock (that's why they give you this air hose kit)

our techs will splice the ends of this air line kit onto the existing air lines using compression fittings (i think it's compression fittings)

... that's basically the only way to go since apparently the original air line fitting style shocks aren't sold anymore

turbojimmy
07-08-11, 05:12 PM
Now that i look a bit closer at this kit it seems to be similar to what is done on the devilles/sevilles/eldorados

basically the air line fitting on the shock is not the same as the one on your original shock (that's why they give you this air hose kit)

our techs will splice the ends of this air line kit onto the existing air lines using compression fittings (i think it's compression fittings)

... that's basically the only way to go since apparently the original air line fitting style shocks aren't sold anymore

Works for me.

I'll contact you when I'm back from vacation. Going to Nag's Head for a week. Not quite as far south as your neck of the woods, though.

Thanks!!

RippyPartsDept
07-08-11, 05:29 PM
i'll be on vacation the 14th-20th ... heading north to NH and ME

you should be able to order from my co-workers and get that same deal if you want to order while i'm on vacation
just mention you're a member on the cadillac forums and they should take care of the discount for you

Cadillacboy
07-08-11, 05:49 PM
Those are same shocks as our ride and they were made in Mexico

jayoldschool
07-08-11, 06:43 PM
i'll be on vacation the 14th-20th ... heading north to NH and ME

Nice. I'll be in southern Maine at the end of July.

RippyPartsDept
07-08-11, 07:25 PM
cool... we go to georgetown island (indian point)
the place we rent is literally across a tidal river from the end of reid state park and we have a low tide beach on our side

we've been going to indian point for as long as i can remember ... i think last year we just couldn't make any of the dates work out and it was probably the first year in 25 that we hadn't gone