: Calling all V-wagon guys

Domsz06
07-07-11, 08:51 AM
So guys with a wagon I have a question.

Do the rear seats fold flat? (I think they do) and if they do could you take a measurment from front to back?

I just got my racing wheel chair and it's kinda long. It for sure isn't gonna fit in my sedan at all lol, so just trying to weigh my options. Don't plan on doing anything crazy far from home soon, and I'm hoping it will fit in my wife's escape (I can haul it in my older denali, but it's just not much fun to drive lol)

Guess a roof rack would be an option (do they make em for the v?)

Thanks everyone!!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t216/domsz06/ea75acca.jpg

mother
07-07-11, 08:59 AM
They fold flat and there is 6' between the bottom of the tailgate and center console, and 4' at the roofline.

There is also an option (I don't know if anyone has ordered it yet!) for roof rack crossbars on the Wagon.

Caddy Wagon
07-07-11, 09:18 AM
Yes, as mother said, they do fold flat. Here's a picture of the regular wagon with the rear seats folded down. How long is your chair?

http://photos.leftlanenews.com/photos/cars/cadillac/big-images/cadillac-cts-wagon-4_1035.jpg

Domsz06
07-07-11, 10:05 AM
They fold flat and there is 6' between the bottom of the tailgate and center console, and 4' at the roofline.

There is also an option (I don't know if anyone has ordered it yet!) for roof rack crossbars on the Wagon.

Thanks... I might have to go look.. (wife might kill me)

Yes, as mother said, they do fold flat. Here's a picture of the regular wagon with the rear seats folded down. How long is your chair?

Darn red x....

I'm not sure, I literally just picked it uplast night and figured out how to get into it and went for a mile stroll.... Roof rack you say......

http://photos.leftlanenews.com/photos/cars/cadillac/big-images/cadillac-cts-wagon-4_1035.jpg

Tuna
07-07-11, 10:16 AM
I measured just at 72 inches (6 feet) from the bottom of the tail gate to the console. Of course the seats lean back some and the tail gate leans forward some. I've got my V Wagon in the parking lot if you'd like me to measure it again.

How long and tall and wide is your chair?

Domsz06
07-07-11, 11:04 AM
I measured just at 72 inches (6 feet) from the bottom of the tail gate to the console. Of course the seats lean back some and the tail gate leans forward some. I've got my V Wagon in the parking lot if you'd like me to measure it again.

Thanks for doing that. My wife is getting me the chair specs... Just haven't got them yet. I know height won't be a issue, just length....

Domsz06
07-07-11, 11:08 AM
I wonder if a yakima roof rack would work? Just for the few races a year I do that are outside of h-town....

eyeballs19
07-07-11, 12:43 PM
To give some perspective, I can fit my road bike in the back lying flat without taking off the wheels. And it is a big frame (61cm Cervelo R3-SL, for those who know bikes). It is actually in the car right now, ready for a ride after work.

I also have the factory cross bars and they are pretty nice. Really easy to take on and off. I have two Yakima bike racks on them, one fork mount and one that holds the wheel only. The racks attach to the factory bars with no issues. Only thing to note is the need to mount them backwards to clear the tailgate.

Domsz06
07-07-11, 12:52 PM

Looks like it is right at 6 feet, and I can remove the front wheel to make it right around 5' 8" so looks like it would fit in a wagon.....

On to roof rack options now..

Domsz06
07-07-11, 12:53 PM
To give some perspective, I can fit my road bike in the back lying flat without taking off the wheels. And it is a big frame (61cm Cervelo R3-SL, for those who know bikes). It is actually in the car right now, ready for a ride after work.

I also have the factory cross bars and they are pretty nice. Really easy to take on and off. I have two Yakima bike racks on them, one fork mount and one that holds the wheel only. The racks attach to the factory bars with no issues. Only thing to note is the need to mount them backwards to clear the tailgate.

Thanks for replying about that.

I have never used a Yakima rack before. I see they have some "y bars" that can mount to certain cars, wonder if that would work with a sedan?

Also you think i could come up with a mount to mount the chair up there, since it only has the 3 wheels?

Thanks for your time and info.

Tuna
07-07-11, 01:34 PM
Okay, here's what my measurements are:

The rear opening is 23 inches tall and 36 inches wide through the lift gate. It's a little taller inside the car after you get through the opening.

The bed is 70 inches long to the back of the rear seats along the floor. It's shorter between the rear window and the top of the back seat but I'm not sure how much.

Teutonaddict
07-07-11, 01:43 PM
I have never used a Yakima rack before. I see they have some "y bars" that can mount to certain cars, wonder if that would work with a sedan?

Also you think i could come up with a mount to mount the chair up there, since it only has the 3 wheels?

Can't speak for Yakima as I've had Thule's, but I do believe they're very similar. Both have various attachments you could mount either to a Yakima/Thule or factory crossbar. For your three-wheel chair, if the crossbar spread is shorter than the wheelbase, you simply could use three tire/wheel clamps. If the spread between crossbars is shorter than your chair's wheelbase, I'm sure you could buy a different attachment that would hold a frame tube, for example. Bottom line, the configurations are pretty darned flexible, so I'm confident you could find a combination that would work either for your sedan or a future Vagon.

Domsz06
07-07-11, 02:05 PM
Can't speak for Yakima as I've had Thule's, but I do believe they're very similar. Both have various attachments you could mount either to a Yakima/Thule or factory crossbar. For your three-wheel chair, if the crossbar spread is shorter than the wheelbase, you simply could use three tire/wheel clamps. If the spread between crossbars is shorter than your chair's wheelbase, I'm sure you could buy a different attachment that would hold a frame tube, for example. Bottom line, the configurations are pretty darned flexible, so I'm confident you could find a combination that would work either for your sedan or a future Vagon.

I just didn't know if there was a way to attach it to my sedan, without drilling holes for the permanent mounts.

I'll go look at the Thule's.

Teutonaddict
07-07-11, 02:25 PM
I just didn't know if there was a way to attach it to my sedan, without drilling holes for the permanent mounts.

I'll go look at the Thule's.

I don't have one for my V2, but used them quite extensively on prior BMW 5- and 7-series. The crossbars would clamp on without drilling anywhere. It should be worth it to check it out. Good luck!

Domsz06
07-07-11, 02:49 PM
I don't have one for my V2, but used them quite extensively on prior BMW 5- and 7-series. The crossbars would clamp on without drilling anywhere. It should be worth it to check it out. Good luck!

according to Yakima's customer service the v didn't pass the test for having non drilled one's. (what ever that means)

And Thule's site doesn't like me, but I plan on emailing them in a few.

Thanks for posting about your 5 and 7 series.

elphil
07-07-11, 03:32 PM
I'm sure if you put the front wheel on top of the center console it will fit with no problem. The space between the front seats is 11". You can use the eyelets in the rails in the cargo area to strap the chair down.

mother
07-07-11, 03:50 PM
The bed is 70 inches long to the back of the rear seats along the floor. It's shorter between the rear window and the top of the back seat but I'm not sure how much.
I am sure Tuna meant front lest anyone be confused.

Domsz06
07-07-11, 04:30 PM
I'm sure I can make it fit into the wagon, no problem, but I was just curious if there were options to get it to fit ontop of the sedan. Not something I wanna put on permantely since honestly I really won't be carrying it that much. I'll prob for now just get something (if it doesn't fit) to put on top of the wife's escape, and call it good, but who knows....

GS7
07-07-11, 06:35 PM
Okay, here's what my measurements are:

The rear opening is 23 inches tall and 36 inches wide through the lift gate. It's a little taller inside the car after you get through the opening.

I asked a similar question once (see link below, post#4) and got a response of 42" usable width. Is it possible you mis-measured in your 36" width Tuna? Though the question in that case was for laying a sheet of plywood in the rear.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/228899-wagon-owners-cargo-capacity-question.html

eyeballs19
07-08-11, 09:11 AM
I'm sure I can make it fit into the wagon, no problem, but I was just curious if there were options to get it to fit ontop of the sedan.

I had a sedan before the wagon and never found a good roof rack option. That is part of what drove me to the wagon (plus I love performance wagons). I don't use the roof rack if I have a choice since it is noisier and the bike isn't protected, but it is awesome for the muddy mountain bike or when I need to carry a bunch of bikes.

Tuna
07-08-11, 09:22 AM
I am sure Tuna meant front lest anyone be confused.

I meant to write "seat back" meaning the back of the front seat. Thanks for making it clear!
From gate to "back seat" is only about 38".

That's what I get for trying to type quickly and not reread it before posting it.