: Hankook V12 tire review

Moparman4444
07-06-11, 12:54 PM
If anyone is looking for tires, and with these cars they usually are, They want opinions about certain tires. I just thought that I would post my 2 cents worth of opinion about the Hankook V12 tires I put on my car.
After 1200 miles of daily driving I think that they EASILY provide 50% or more straight line traction in 40 to 80 degree temps than the stock PS2 tires. They are 10-20% quieter and smoother on the road as well. I don't feel any differance in cornering but we don't have alot of twisties in the mid west, just alot of pot holes.

Over all the tire is an amazing value and performs so much better than the PS2's I have to wonder what GM was thinking when putting them on in the first place. Two thumbs up for the Hankooks.

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 01:00 PM
Smoking crack. These tires don't hook nearly as well as my PS2s. They handle well but turn-in is a little lazy. They are quieter and a little softer than the PS2s, if you like old-school Cadillacs I guess that's admirable. It is certainly an excellent tire at a very cheap price. And if you don't mind some compromises, go for them! But the PS2 is still a superior tire and Cadillac should be praised for making them OEM...

EVIL_C5
07-06-11, 02:52 PM
the PS2's are great tires, and I probably pushed them more to the edge than most and they never let me down. but at the same time I saw a V with continental DW's performing very well. so for me, half the price of the PS2's in a big deal when these tires dont seem to last much past 15K miles. $2K a year for tires is a little much, and I usually accept the cost of a sports cost way up front and never worry about these things.

Cub Cadet
07-06-11, 05:42 PM
I second the fact that the PS2's are junk.

e6t
07-06-11, 05:44 PM
they wear out quickly, they are not junk. ps2 is the gold standard by which all other tires are rated.

just the facts, maam.

smackdownCTSV
07-06-11, 06:00 PM
Good to know. I wasn't looking forward to spending $1800+ in tires next year. $800 is much better.

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 07:34 PM
I second the fact that the PS2's are junk. Oh, so now they're junk? Whatever. Universally heralded as one of the best performance tires ever, yet you say they are junk. And what, exactly, is the reason for this statement? What does Ferrari, BMW, and the engineers of the greatest American cars ever built not know that you do? Yeah, just listen to some guy on a forum say they are junk. I was skeptical of the Hankooks. Yet, I bought them in part to educate myself on them. I then give what I feel to be a very complete and fair review in comparison of the Hankook and PS2. But since you just say they suck, they must just suck. lulz...

Moparman4444
07-07-11, 01:43 PM
bigjimsho, your comments about me "smoking crack" is a Jerky comments that is very unprofessional and show a lack of character. I woulds have expected a little more class from members on this forum.

As for the tires, I am not an engineer but am a driving enthusiast and have personally experienced the PS2 and the Hankook tires. I found the PS2 to be poor in the rain and terrible under 50 degree temperatures slipping and sliding all over the place. The Hankook don't slip nearly as much at those temperatures. At 80 degrees and up the PS2’s are fine. But our Midwest temperatures range between 40-80 all the time during the spring to fall months. When you drive the exact same car on the same roads and in the same conditions and note a distinct difference then what else can be concluded about the tires. My experiences may be different from others and I make no guarantees but again I'm just putting in my 2 cents worth for general edification of the forum. The PS2 may work on other cars but I think it is by far the worst tire I ever had on any car in the last 30 years.

I have Michelin tires on some of my other cars and love them but they are not the PS2’s. I certainly would not dissuade someone from buying Michelin tires in general but could NOT recommend the PS2’s to anyone.

thebigjimsho
07-07-11, 01:58 PM
Oh come on. The smoking crack comment is just off the cuff. Even still I thought about editing out. Don't take it personally.

Anyway, the Hankooks may indeed perform better under 50 degrees but that usually means it's running a compound that's not as aggressive. While the grip isn't there under 50, it's certainly not dangerous. I have driven on my PS2s well below freezing and it's still safer than driving any tire in the rain. As for driving the PS2s in the rain, they're fine. Their wet traction has always been well above average for the Max Perf class. The Hankooks may be better but I doubt by much.

And, again, by almost the entire enthusiast and media community, as well as myself and most here, the PS2s have been the gold standard for quite some time. They are better than the Hankooks and are now being eclipsed by their successor: the Super Sport...

thebigjimsho
07-07-11, 02:03 PM
BTW, most high performance tires are not recommended to be driven below 50 or so degrees because of their aggressive compounds. For all those that derail the PS2 because it loses traction below 50, pull up your panties and go buy some all season tires. That's a ridiculous reason for saying they suck.

Moparman4444
07-07-11, 03:05 PM
I did look at all season tires but there is ONLY one tire on the market that fits this car, thats the Michelin Pilot A/S. Can you imagine, only one tire that is matched for front and back! Personally I didn't want to go to another Michelin. I also know that the PS2 was not sesigned for lower temps, but there are very limited tire options avalaible to deal with the tempature swings.

thebigjimsho
07-07-11, 04:11 PM
I did look at all season tires but there is ONLY one tire on the market that fits this car, thats the Michelin Pilot A/S. Can you imagine, only one tire that is matched for front and back! Personally I didn't want to go to another Michelin. I also know that the PS2 was not sesigned for lower temps, but there are very limited tire options avalaible to deal with the tempature swings.That's OK. I have no problem with you deciding on Hankooks. Don't forget, I'm running on them, too...